Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:33:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsText the HallsThe Snowman
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Snowman  (Read 14799 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:49:53 AM »

The Baits Hotel, a small house in the hills, would be a lovely place if there weren't a killer snow monster out  there. Everything here is warm and welcoming, except for the killer snow monster out there, which is cold and murderous.

I, Jessica and Jerry came to spend the weekend. When we arrived, it apparently had already been snowing for a few days, and there was nobody inside, except for the decapitated body of the hopefully dead owner. The windows were all barricaded, and some of the doors were locked. We heard a noise from the outside and locked ourselves in, hopelessly watching through a narrow slit in one of the barricades as the huge Snowman ripped off a poor woman's head and ate her body, not leaving anything behind. We almost immediately concluded that he was a possible threat.

...damn, I have to get out of here.

DOWNLOAD
release #5

The Snowman is a sandbox-ish interactive fiction. There are few puzzles, the characters move around freely, and things may happen when they meet. You have total freedom. Your relationship with the characters changes depending on what you say to them, and, in turn, affects the ending you get. Also, there are many fun little secrets spread around if you'd like to play more after you finish the game.

The Snowman is by no means a groundbreaking game. I'm confident, however, that you will have fun playing it if you enjoy interactive fictions or sandbox games!

I'd like to give another huge "thank you" to my three four awesome testers, who helped my find about TEN BILLION* bugs, ranging from typos to potentially game-breaking problems. If, however, you do find any more bugs, tell me and I'll fix them as soon as possible.

Any feedback is immensely appreciated. Thanks for playing and have fun!

* Where "TEN BILLION" means something between ten and thirty.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:30:57 PM by Akhel » Logged
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »

I don't trust those beady, child-luring eyes either.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »

It's done! Grin
I'm really happy - this is my first game ever, so all feedback is much appreciated!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

Okay, I give up.  How do I 'cook' the 'ingredients'?  The instructions suggest using the 'stove', but I only seem to be able to put things in the oven.

Also, two suggestions:
1. I'd consider making the characters pause for a turn or two after moving, so you can catch up to them. It's easy to end up chasing someone around, with them leaving the instant you arrive.
2. It's nice to make your directions consistent.  If they enter a location by heading south-east, players will often try to leave by heading north-west.  There's nothing wrong with letting them leave to the north as well, but the obvious direction should work too.

Other than that, this is great fun.  It's great to play a game that's un-self consciously fucking nuts.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »

Logging in from a cyber cafe to upload v1.1. It has no big bugfixes, but it does have two new endings.

Okay, I give up.  How do I 'cook' the 'ingredients'?  The instructions suggest using the 'stove', but I only seem to be able to put things in the oven.

Also, two suggestions:
1. I'd consider making the characters pause for a turn or two after moving, so you can catch up to them. It's easy to end up chasing someone around, with them leaving the instant you arrive.
2. It's nice to make your directions consistent.  If they enter a location by heading south-east, players will often try to leave by heading north-west.  There's nothing wrong with letting them leave to the north as well, but the obvious direction should work too.

Other than that, this is great fun.  It's great to play a game that's un-self consciously fucking nuts.

Heh, thanks a lot. I currently don't have access to the Internet other than through public computers, so I may have to wait until I'm home before making any more updates. You're right about the directions, though - I'll see what I can do.

Also, my mistake. You're indeed supposed to use the oven (put stuff in, close, wait). Embarrassed
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »

v1.2 is now available. It's a pretty big update, with five new ways to die, a very fun new easter egg, dialogue changes and more. I'd say it's well worth the download for anyone who intends to (re)play it! Smiley
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »

Erm, the forums got fuxxored right when I was going to update the first post (two days ago). On the bright side, I've had time to make even more updates! I was tempted to call this v2.0, but ended up deciding not to. Still, it's probably the biggest update the game will ever get.

(Sorry for the triple post.)

---

Okay, let's not make a quadruple post. I've uploaded v1.3; it mostly fixes some bugs with the cannon and Jessica walking every turn.

...yeah, I basically haven't got anything better to do than keep debugging this game nobody cares about. :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:05:34 PM by Akhel » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic