Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:01:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio(Music) A forest theme and another piece
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: (Music) A forest theme and another piece  (Read 4059 times)
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »

Here's my attempt at composing another foresty theme just for learning purposes. I would've used The Doctor's thread for music, but that one has been dead for a while and I'm not sure if bumping dead threads is heavily frowned upon here... At any rate I think the musical challenge should be revived, it was a great idea, guess I(we) need to participate more?

Anyway, here's another shot at the forest theme, enjoy! Comments are always appreciated.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/110987

EDIT:

I created a small loop which I titled "Forgotten Mysteries". I'm experimenting with music and I think it's a good idea to share and get some feedback :3 Hope you like it!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/111014

Where is The Doctor? :3
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:53:15 PM by Keops » Logged

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »

Anyway, here's another shot at the forest theme, enjoy! Comments are always appreciated.

Wow, that was cool. I loved the melody of the flute/wind/? voice. At the beginning I was getting this forest child Nick Drake vibe, then it went into its own territory.

I created a small loop which I titled "Forgotten Mysteries".

Definitely Zelda spooky. Can you elaborate on how you put all this together? I just started playing piano so I'm curious about how you do it.
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:10:17 PM »

Thanks for the comments, george!

I'm using a software sequencer called FL Studio 7 (aka. Fruity Loops) and MIDI instruments for the soudns. I'm composing the melodies and patterns with the mouse directly into the sequencer as I don't have an USB MIDI Keyboard available.

This is the homepage of the software in case you're interested: http://www.flstudio.com/

See ya around!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:15 PM »

Hey, it's totally sweet, the forest one, but I'd suggest something more than four instruments and a chord progression. Make a part 2 of the song or something, just two new chords or something like that, and that'd be enough to keep the listener's interest in the song.

Anyhow, beautifully relized.

Some sweeping strings wouldn't be too shabby, but I guess that's kind of hard to do with FL ):
1337-n00b
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:08:53 AM »

My only real complaint was already voiced by Jad, but I want to re-iterate it: the song is redundant.  Other than that I like it quite a bit; it suits the forest theme very well.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »

Although the forest theme is repetitive, it isn't redundant. It would be fitting for a short part of a game such as during the game's intro, the intro scene of the forest level, or a forest character's theme song. There's something about the nice wistful, naiveté, hopeful combination of the song's atmosphere that I like. I also think it could be easily expanded upon for other parts of a game.

As for bumping up old/dead threads, I don't know why that would be a problem unless the person doing so was a spamming man baby. Consider that some stickies go on for weeks or months without new posts. Besides, this isn't a popularity contest: it's a forum. So, if you have something new to say (even if it's on something "old"), don't hold back and say (type) it.

Also, I think it's about time to point out the lack of attention to music in the "Art and Design" branch of the forum. We have threads dedicated to pixel art, game ideas, unfinished games, and works in progress, but we don't have a dedicated thread toward showing off music and sound fxs. We should give our indie musicians a common place to present their talents instead of relying on a little post here or there that only a fraction of our members might happen to read through.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:42:38 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic