Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:28:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker For Beginners: Part IV
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker For Beginners: Part IV  (Read 110998 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »

It seems the, font_add_sprite
doesn't work in the free version?
it doesn't. the free version is really just a demo btw. if you're serious about using GM, buy it.
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »

It seems the, font_add_sprite
doesn't work in the free version?
it doesn't. the free version is really just a demo btw. if you're serious about using GM, buy it.

That's too bad. I was following this and other tutorials to see if gamemaker is what I need, to see if "I'm serious" about it... Any work arounds sugested for writing words on screen? 

On STEAM »
Ant
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:09 AM »

font_add_sprite is only used to create your own font from a sprite sheet. You can still use existing system fonts.
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »

Yeah, found it. Just made a font resource and then called it in the title object with draw_set_font(f_starperv);

Yeah, that's the name of the font Tongue

GameMaker even makes problem solving easy. Thank the lord for gamemaker.

On STEAM »
Jaun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:32 AM »

Great tutorial Derek!

I sure learn a lot about GM, and I quite like it so here I go with it for now.

Also, I try some of the extra credit but, aside from the pause and the power-up, I don't get too far. A fast and crappy way of replace the checkpoints and the problem with respawn in walls is just make the oGame instance go to rLevel1 everytime oPlayerShip dies. Yeah, I say it's crappy and awkwardly lazy. Oh, yeah, the link where you get your font dies, but I manage to get a similar one, so it's not a big deal.

Anyway, again, good job Derek, it'll be really cool for beginners as me if anyday you can post the next part and so on.

English is not my first language, so let me know if I made any grammatical crime.
Atlas
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! Does any one know where to go from here to gain some more knowledge?
MowDowPow
TIGBaby

Duck

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:46 AM »

al.myFont = font_add_sprite(sFont, ord(' '), false, 0);

ERROR at line 2 pos 18: Unknown fuction or script: font_add_sprite

Help?   WTF
ink.inc
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »

you're using a version of game maker that doesn't have that function
AnthonyCeylon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2014, 04:17:12 AM »

Thanks for this tutorial: I've been trying to follow it, but I've hit a problem, namely it fails to draw the HUD.

I'm using Game Maker Studio (Free edition) and have followed most of this tut to the letter, but when I compile it fails to draw both the sprite and the string for the number of lives you have left.
This is my HUD code:

Code: (Draw Event in oGame)
if state == PLAY
{
    // Draw HUD
    draw_sprite(sPShipIcon, 0, view_xview[0]+300, 226);
    draw_text(view_xview[0]+314, 228, string(global.pLives));
}
else if state == GAME_OVER
{
    scrCenterText("GAME OVER", view_xview[0], 112, 8, 320);
}

Which is nearly identical to the one in the OP, except that it should place the sprite in the lower right corner, rather than lower left. Even with the exact same coordinates though, it does not execute.
I've downloaded the tutorial.gmx, and that one does run the HUD (exact same code).

Next I took a look at the activate/deactive region, but it's setup exactly the same, and I can't see it conflicting with oGame (as oGame is excluded from deactivating, and as the draw commands falls within the active region coordinates).

Lastly, it might be worth noting that I have two rooms, one boss room and one 'level' room. Both contain the game element, screenscroll is only included in the level room. The HUD does not load in either room. I have no problem loading text and sprites in my title or victory room, both of which feature the exact same type of content as my level and boss room.

I'm probably missing something really simple, but I'm a coding newb so I can't find it.
TapeRecorder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »

I'm using Game Maker Studio (Free edition)

I'm not entirely sure, but could this be the problem? Free edition of Studio has some severe limitations, and you might be running into one of them. This tutorial was written for use with Game Maker 7 or 8. See http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=591553.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:51 AM »

Code: (Draw Event in oGame)
if state == PLAY
{
    // Draw HUD
    draw_sprite(sPShipIcon, 0, view_xview[0]+300, 226);
    draw_text(view_xview[0]+314, 228, string(global.pLives));
}
else if state == GAME_OVER
{
    scrCenterText("GAME OVER", view_xview[0], 112, 8, 320);
}

Looks correct to me, and identical to the original except for the missing brackets around the if statements.

The mistake's not here. Could you post your .gmx file so we can take a look at the whole thing?
WazMeister
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2014, 01:29:53 PM »

Derek,

These are very old posts, but love tutorials.

Will you continute/finish this? Do you have more?

Such a great help, love detail!

Thanks

Waz
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic