Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:22:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238006 times)
Seith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 09, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »

Got an error when re-entering the pocket dungeon:

Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at Game/setLevel()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\Game.as:709]
at Game/init()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\Game.as:519]
at Game/reset()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\Game.as:584]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::TitleMenu/launchGame()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\TitleMenu.as:205]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::TitleMenu/executeSelection()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\TitleMenu.as:170]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/stepRight()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:390]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/animateRight()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:619]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/main()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:886]
at Game/main()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\Game.as:1092]
Seith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 16, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

Also got this game-killing error when enchanting an identified "_" with a light rune:

Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.robotacid.gfx::ItemMovieClip/render()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\gfx\ItemMovieClip.as:213]
at com.robotacid.engine::Character/render()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\engine\Character.as:1678]
at com.robotacid.gfx::Renderer/main()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\gfx\Renderer.as:478]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::GameMenu/executeSelection()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\GameMenu.as:1040]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/stepRight()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:390]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/animateRight()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:619]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/main()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:886]
at Game/main()[C:\Users\st33d\Documents\rogue\1.0.2\src\Game.as:1092]
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 16, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »

I beat the game in a hilarious and easy fashion by killing the Balrog on level 11. I noticed that you could hit him every so often if he was running, so next time I brought a decapitated head with me. Kicking Umber Hulk severed head right into Balrog's face as he tried to run past.

BALROG KILLED BY SOCCER! GOOOOAAAAAAALLL!  Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left

Heh, I got my first Balrog kill last night zapped him to death when I leveled up near him :D

I have noticed an annoying bug where if you push an arrow key immediately as your closing the menu (I'm presuming while the menu is fading out?), it reopens the menu >.< rather frustrating when your immediate survival depends on getting out of the way as quickly as possible!
elitehawk
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »

Code:
rogue may survive death
rogue finished by quickening
rogue returns as undead
rogue smashed by quickening

Ugh.  So, I killed the Balrog and got the amulet for the first time.  I lost the minion early on in this game, and for some reason he never ports back in despite my killing everything for ten levels or so.  Eventually I'm on level 17 and I see a dangerous looking enemy below me firing what looks like some kind of rocket launcher.  I retreat to higher ground but not fast enough, as the enemy levels up (!?) and double kills me with his quickening.

So, does anyone know if that's an intended feature?  And what I can do to defend myself next time?
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »

The quickening murdering you twice is a feature. The only thing you could do in that situation is eat a protection rune to avoid the effects.
He might have fired a chaos missile which randomizes effects one is XP which levels up who ever uses it.
draconiansolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1345 on: March 06, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

Evil the fun never ends!
Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »

How many levels are there once you enter Chaos?  I finished my first complete play through last night (polymorphed Balrog for an easier kill!), but I figured he'd keep running.  Does Chaos go on perpetually is there a cap on how far you can descend?

Pimski
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 01, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »

Can anybody tell me what you're supposed to do when you get the amulet of yendor? I tried wearing it but the screen went all weird. It looked like i was confused and polymorphed, and some more stuff, and i could'nt move, even though i could still use the menu. Then i put on the balrogs face and that did'nt work out well... Sad
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: October 04, 2013, 02:04:34 AM »

Chaos is infinite.

When you get the amulet you leave the dungeon (it should tell you this when you pick it up).

If it does funny stuff when you put it on it may be enchanted with something bad. You don't need to wear it to finish the game.

I appreciate there's still some bugs but my PC is now out of action so I can't compile a new version.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1349 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:32 AM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

-

Anyway. I'm doing a bit of house cleaning regarding my old projects after having a really miserable year working on stuff I've not been really keen on. That's partly due to ongoing depression and shit in my own life as well as the passive aggressive shit I sometimes get for working at Nitrome. It's made me sad that I've had a better time hanging out with indies who are off the radar rather than on it. I dunno, it's just easier to believe in yourself if you don't feel like your immediate company is only talking to you because it's some sort of intervention.

-

I've fixed some major bugs in 1.0.3 this week. I'm also adding some little features that have been requested over the years. Like turning screenshake off, being able to choose what music is playing, some kind of food clock implementation (I think rewarding scrubbing a level clean is a cop out and I want a map item to solve that and some mechanic to introduce risk/reward for scrubbing), optimisation and the Android version. I think I might make the vampire female as well - I know the lead character is a girl but we're still short on girls representing the dungeon.

I tried exporting Red Rogue to a Nexus 7 tablet recently and it runs okay. It will require some touchscreen controls - even though it works well with an external keyboard. iOS I'm afraid is impossible. Red Rogue is a huge project that was never made to be ported. Android is only possible because the code translates through the exporter seamlessly. That isn't the case on iOS. No no, don't thank me. Thank Steve Jobs. Thank Adobe too for being so obstinate in trying to coast off their dominance in video.

If you want some new features in Red Rogue, now's the time to remind me. I'll be going through the thread again to remember what was said, but do chip in with requests. I aim for this to be a quick overhaul that gets a stable build out to all Red Rogue fans - and with the Android version that means Red Rogue may run on micro consoles too.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: February 11, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »

Aw man, depressions suck. I've had enough friends struggle with it that I'll do my best to avoid the trap of giving "advice" that boils down to "have you tried not being depressed?" Roll Eyes, because that won't help anyone. All I can say is good luck, and I think I speak for all the fans of this game when I say that if there's any remote internet support we can give you, we got your back.

I do want to say I really appreciate all the work you have put into this game before and now, and make sure you're aware of how much joy it has brought into my life Smiley.

Also also, I'm an interaction designer who has a first-gen Nexus 7, so if you want someone to try it out for you, look for bugs and maybe give some constructive feedback on the interface... Well, hello there!
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: February 11, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »

Have you got an external keyboard? That way you can pop into debug mode and check the framerate.

Anyone who wants to teat Android I'll message a link to the apk file  Wink
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 11, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »

No, no external keyboard. I can set debug mode on though.

Also, I run Lollipop (which makes things worse, I guess)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:17 AM »

I'd like to test Android, love this game Smiley

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »

No, no external keyboard. I can set debug mode on though.

Also, I run Lollipop (which makes things worse, I guess)

My Nexus runs wollipop. That was half the point of getting it - I didn't own an Android device and I wanted to make sure Ending was stable.

The game requires a keyboard to activate the debugger - I'm simplifying it to the backspace key because the bluetooth keyboard I have was not impressed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. I'll send out demos in debug mode then.

I'm thinking swipe to move and tap-tap for menu should cover the basics. Some on-screen buttons for hotkeys should handle the rest.
lukke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: February 13, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »

Shocked
St33d you're the man ! That's so nice of you to keep updating this gem of a game.
Now I can justify the purchase of an external keyboard.
Would love to test it. I have a Nexus 7 2013 so it won't be so usefull for you I guess.
 Gentleman
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »

Facepalm dude, that's the same one I have

the more people test the merrier - you've no idea how hard it is to track bugs in a random game
blubberquark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 30, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »

Hey st33d,

Red Rogue would be perfect for the OUYA. Since you're porting to android anyway, it would be straightforward to make an ouya version. Would you be interested in that? I have an ouya and made games for it before. It looks like the sources, but not the art assets are open source.

Also you should be able to throw an identification rune at Death.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: April 02, 2015, 03:10:32 AM »

OUYA has a dickhead of a Joystick API. I'll look into it but it's low priority as I don't own one and I don't own a TV either.

Identifying death is a fair point - but he's not one of the races so there's no code to support this. It might be a waste of a rune just to tell you it's Death Jim.

There's also a Death's Scythe farming trick I need to fix as well.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: November 08, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »

1.0.6 is online at itch.io and a PC standalone version is on there as well.

http://st33d.itch.io/red-rogue

I've still a bit more to do getting the other platforms sorted. Android was quite a ball-ache. The PC standalone is a debugger build - debug mode has been changed to Backspace (Android didn't like the old shortcut). If you want to try and break it then you can download that one and let me know.

Change Log:

solved error when the game cannot render a throwable item, solved player outwitting Death in cutscene, fixed game breaker when opening a second pocket dungeon portal, added option to turn off screenshake in settings, added option to select music from soundtrack, added swipe controls, added stun to whip, object pooling for fx (required further fixes), added slash/pierce/crush effects to weapons, changed missile pass thru method to stop surface stutter doing 2 hits, added Horror spawning as level is explored, lowered Horror volume, added missile button for mobile, changed gender of vampire to female, added sarkeesian bonus item (changes gender of targets to female), fixed ending issues when finishing without minion

I'll have a blog post up about the new build when all the versions are sorted and uploaded. It's mostly bug-fixes and few new mechanics that I wanted to round out the experience.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic