Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238062 times)
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »

Nice, the fact that the footstep sound was so entrancing caused me to explore a couple of the generations. This should be quite promising, and as roguelike styled games are my favorite indie game style, I am quite glad to see it being made in flash since if you finish it, it could attract more people to the genre. My only complaint is that all the objects are the same overall color, and although it does add a feel, I think there may be a better way to achieve it (though I'm no artist, just offering up my opinion.) Anyways, good luck in finishing the game!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »

It would be neat if the magic spells had colour.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »

I just spent a while running around your dungeons, and I'm quite intrigued.

I like the feel of your character motion a lot, especially given that this is such an early build. I was particularly impressed by the way ladders feel. The self-centering and simple animation work really well.

I humbly request an extremely simple 1 to 2 frame falling animation and a landing sound Grin

Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing these dungeons populated!
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »

I just played your demo, and had fun doing so.. the Dungeon Generation that you've created is really interesting, I would like to check the source code sometime or read up on the subject.

I also really like the blend of platformer meets RPG, with inventory system and short story feed for battles... it looks like this is going to be an essential play-till-the mornin'-comes kind of game...

I want to see some special weapons and particle 'spells'; also lots of treasure, yes, lots and lots of golden, gem-laden, over-spilling treasure chests!!

I've got to say, as a starting out Flex/Flixel developer, the awesome-ometer is truly maxing out with your Dungeon quest.

Hand Thumbs Up Left
st33d
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 04:32:53 AM »

Okay, clear your browser cache and try the first demo again.

I've put in some horrifically ugly and dark mario bricks for the walls. These are placeholders for some better randomised wall bricks.

It would be nice to add lighting to sides of bricks hit by the different degrees of light, but I'm going to be running multiple light sources in the future, so I need to keep things basic.

I can aproximate lit sides though by doing a pass over the final generated map and replace tiles so that they have textures only on edges and such.
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

Yeah the dark bricks are a nice improvement. I think that the background though is far too detailed compared to the character/ladders. Perhaps if you made it stick out less, it would be easier to see the main game objects. Although, it might look worse, it could be worth experimenting with.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »

Cool! Now you can make different wall tiles for different rooms as well Evil

Bricks, cave, metall, wood, alternate bricks, dirt, alternate bricks 2, statue misc, bricks with crack, large stones, alternate metall....
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »

Noice mate! I don't have too much feedback now, seeing as how its so early in development, but it's definitely looking good! As an idea (that's not to faithful to the original rouge) you could have some sort of miniboss  spawn if room is bigger than X by X tiles. Walking through some of the bigger rooms, I got the feeling that some ol' big mean monster should come after me. Keep up the good work!         Hand Thumbs Up Left Blink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

Everything plays out really smoothly!
Is every single platform or "plateau" connected to two ladders? That seemed a bit too open in my humble opinion, but still, if the enemies can only be killed by crushing them it's not a bad thing!
Anyway, can't wait to play some more with enemies and stuff!

st33d
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »

The plan is to get unmade elements in the game before I tweak them. Dungeon layout is a big tweak as the exit, monsters, traps and items need to be in there before you can gauge the pace. I think the blood is going to make a big impact on the graphics too. There's going to be permanent stains on the level.

The lit walls was a quick fix because the shadowcast already did this and I turned it off, but yeah - walls make it clear the difference between darkness and obstruction.

Next build should have things to kill. Then I've got items to put in - which means tackling the inventory screen, which I want to keep text based like Rogue but fast to use (bearing in mind you're going to use it to upgrade items too).
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »

Maybe a text based interface that is also clickable?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »

I think it would be neat if only the side of the block was lit up, you don't have to any fancy line of sight things, just if the the wall has lit up space to it's left, the left side is lit up, same brightness as the space.
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »

thats a good  point actually with edge lighting aswell as full block, although i dont know how hard that would be to implement.

st33d
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »

It would mean processing all the neighbouring tiles of every lit tile and then assigning a graphic which I would have to remove later. And I would have to wait until the shadow caster was done and perform this check after the lighting operation had occurred (the shadow caster doesn't behave like a normal light source - it's just a fast field of view technique), which would mean iterating over every lit tile generated by every lightsource. Which would essentially be scanning the screen four times over.

That's time which eats into the AI routines of all the monsters that are going to be on screen.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »

Yeah, I'm with you in thinking there shouldn't be edge lighting if it's going to hurt more important things.

Should you happen to be interested in a cheap way of doing simple outlines, Jwaap's outline trick might work- he draws the outline of each block in one layer, then draws the blocks themselves over those. Some variant of that might work nicely for your edges.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2009, 11:13:12 AM »

this looks very nice

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »

It would mean processing all the neighbouring tiles of every lit tile and then assigning a graphic which I would have to remove later. And I would have to wait until the shadow caster was done and perform this check after the lighting operation had occurred (the shadow caster doesn't behave like a normal light source - it's just a fast field of view technique), which would mean iterating over every lit tile generated by every lightsource. Which would essentially be scanning the screen four times over.

That's time which eats into the AI routines of all the monsters that are going to be on screen.
In that case, don't do it. The blocks are fine. Well a more fitting wall texture would be nice, but that's something to do later.
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »

I was bored *shrug*

st33d
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »

Awesome!

I've a need to go more contrasty with the monsters and items.

An albino rogue might be the way forward...
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

I was bored *shrug*
That looks sweet!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic