Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:54:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 236818 times)
st33d
« Reply #860 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »

Unless you've found another way to activate fullscreen mode outside of the menu, then you've failed to read the warning that appears asking you to confirm fullscreen mode.

The Flash Player does not allow use of any keys other than arrow keys and space when launched into fullscreen mode inside a browser.

If the swf is run inside a desktop standalone player then the keys will work in fullscreen mode. I will make desktop executables will be available when the game is finished.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »

Unless you've found another way to activate fullscreen mode outside of the menu, then you've failed to read the warning that appears asking you to confirm fullscreen mode.

The Flash Player does not allow use of any keys other than arrow keys and space when launched into fullscreen mode inside a browser.

If the swf is run inside a desktop standalone player then the keys will work in fullscreen mode. I will make desktop executables will be available when the game is finished.

Ah, I read the first part but must have not noticed that part.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 09, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »

Adorable. I must check your github to see if there are lessons I can learn from your menus.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
st33d
« Reply #863 on: April 10, 2012, 02:08:18 AM »

Note to self: Sort rooms top-wards before assigning surfaces.

Changes in content layout coming soon. Much less monsters on later levels (they're having a fucking party down on the later levels at the moment). Also, a revised XP system. The current one is totally broken.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »

Note to self: Sort rooms top-wards before assigning surfaces.

Changes in content layout coming soon. Much less monsters on later levels (they're having a fucking party down on the later levels at the moment). Also, a revised XP system. The current one is totally broken.
so hidden warp to the monster house party easter egg hinted at?
st33d
« Reply #865 on: April 10, 2012, 03:01:34 AM »

st33d
« Reply #866 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »

Small Update 358

The content distribution is now more like it should be.

Monsters and chests will appear only in what the generator perceives as rooms. The generator groups monsters by racial type (goblins and orcs, mind flayers and rakshasa, etc.) and drops racial groups in rooms according to what the calculated average amount of monsters per room is.

Monster level is current level -2 or -3. It used to be anything up to the current dungeon level - which makes it hard to tell if a monster is high level or not, but you could get further.

There are much less traps on later levels.

The amount of experience required to level up is now distributed amongst the monsters with some more to spare. Disarming traps, opening secrets and other sources of xp are in addition to this at a current rate of 3% of the experience needed for the next level.

Progression feels more natural now, and levelling up is guaranteed.

However I'm finding the game a lot harder than I used to. I think there's some more tweaking to be done after I get locked gates working.
st33d
« Reply #867 on: April 13, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »

Finally managed to figure out a way to make keys and locks work last night.

The connectivity test is useless because it doesn't account for falling or teleporting. Same with the AI graph.

But by creating a separate map of the walls and testing if an area is cut off entirely I can then store that map and refer to it when teleporting to make sure the player can always get to a key.

There will be a maximum of 2 gates from now on. Rows of gates is tedious.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Finally managed to figure out a way to make keys and locks work last night.

The connectivity test is useless because it doesn't account for falling or teleporting. Same with the AI graph.

But by creating a separate map of the walls and testing if an area is cut off entirely I can then store that map and refer to it when teleporting to make sure the player can always get to a key.

There will be a maximum of 2 gates from now on. Rows of gates is tedious.

I didn't even think about the teleporting thing. Honestly I wonder if it would be better to have unrestricted teleport and just make door locks only require the key for one side of the door, just because it seems logical to be able to use teleporting to bypass doors. Also there is the special case of polymorphing into a wraith to walk through walls an then polymorphing to something else, unless you restrict a wraith's movements too.
st33d
« Reply #869 on: April 13, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »

I thought of that. It would require graphics describing the direction of the lock (which will be confusing). Un-wraithing in a locked vault I can detect and teleport the player out of (just like if you un-wraith inside a wall).
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 13, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »

I thought of that. It would require graphics describing the direction of the lock (which will be confusing). Un-wraithing in a locked vault I can detect and teleport the player out of (just like if you un-wraith inside a wall).

Heh. Your far kinder with unwraithing then some other games. I think usually losing intangibility powers inside a wall just out and out kills you. I would think in terms of graphics having a big and noticeable lock on one side of the door would be enough but yeah, I can't think of a good way to indicate that the other side is a side you can pass through. Well whatever works, works.
st33d
« Reply #871 on: April 14, 2012, 04:02:43 AM »

Small Update 359

More bug fixes.

Monsters nerfed again. Now current dungeon level - 3, no random. If getting into the sewers is still hard, then I think the issue must be the stats. I think after I've finished on gates and bugs I want to make graphs of the stats so this can be fine tuned better.

Keys and locked gates are now in. I liked them so much that you can get them on any zone now. However they are also extremely rare at the moment. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to detect fragmentation opportunities as opposed to just casting randomly.
st33d
« Reply #872 on: April 14, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »

Small Update 360

I've capped the minimum monster level as the kobolds on level 1 were being windshielded. There was no tension left.

No gates on level 1 anymore (too early for new mechanics).

Gate location code has been reworked to search for all possible gate locations (basically in the middle of a passage). Then each of these locations is tested to see if it can fragment the map.

This means that there's usually always one punch-gate or chaos gate, I might change that. But it also means that lock gates are now much more common. Not all levels allow it, some are too interconnected. But on a single playthrough you're fairly guaranteed to encounter a few.

Sometimes the exit is locked. Heh heh heh.
st33d
« Reply #873 on: April 18, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

Small Update 362

Changed the spawn rates on gates that can be punched open and chaos gates.

Added writing to the walls. Press up to read a patch of writing. It's meant to be a tip of the day / story thing told by the minion escaping from the underworld. Some patches of writing will have special properties. Haven't tested for bugs yet on "elbereth".
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 18, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

Jeez the writing on the walls is sort of big... It's a nice touch though.

It reminds me though, I once mused on if runes were randomly labeled (like potions in nethack) that they could use combinations of < > | / \ and such other characters like "<| rune" and "\| rune" which is kinda similar to how the characters on the wall look.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:50:16 PM by killozapit » Logged
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 19, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »

now after Marathon of skullgirls Rogue kinda reminds me of someone... oh well here's another hat idea. maybe add in some umbrellas
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 19, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »

Haha, I am glad to see someone is doing fanart of this (Next stop, rule 34  Well, hello there! ). Though I always thought that red T shape is actually a sash tying her robes together. Tongue Pixel art can be easy to misinterpret sometimes. I should do some too!

Edit: Hehe, I made one! Here is my extremely silly and bad fanart.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:56:26 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #877 on: April 20, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »

^.^

Small Update 363

The writing I've shrunk (this is like the 5th redesign of the writing, but I'm pretty happy with it now).
More advice/story has been added.
Chaos helms have been promoted to later levels.
There were some incorrect settings for endurance on armour - fixed.

I'll probably be playing Diablo 3 beta this weekend. I'll try to put my bug fixing hat on next though.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

Hehe, I take it by the face you liked the silly picture of mine? I like the smaller wall writings. You know it might be nice to add a lore option that lets you read messages you found some time.
Kaian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »

Checking in again, whoa, lots of changes - looking very good!

I can't turn off the spooky environmental music..   there're two layers of music??  Edit- I was able to turn off the music after reloading the game.  Apparently sometimes turning off the music doesn't work right, but I haven't consistently reproduced the problem.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:53:59 PM by Kaian » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic