Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:46:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238087 times)
st33d
« Reply #900 on: April 24, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »

That's a difficult one. You had trouble playing the game because you didn't know the rules, but you don't want to know what the rules are?

I can make the advice more riddle like or characterise it more. But I still want it to be short. I can't really solve that one.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »

I for one like the fact you are just sort of thrown into the story with little context or understanding. Really I think the best way to do a tutorial would be simply a screen with some pictures and text showing basic controls like older games had. A full tutorial seems a bit of an overkill to me.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

That's a difficult one. You had trouble playing the game because you didn't know the rules, but you don't want to know what the rules are?

I can make the advice more riddle like or characterise it more. But I still want it to be short. I can't really solve that one.

Lol no! I didn't NOT want to know, it's that even though I was advancing in level I started getting the same messages over and over again (~4 times) so I thought they were all out of messages!

I for one like the fact you are just sort of thrown into the story with little context or understanding. Really I think the best way to do a tutorial would be simply a screen with some pictures and text showing basic controls like older games had. A full tutorial seems a bit of an overkill to me.

I'm a fan of this too, just the simple things in tutorial.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:47:36 PM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

st33d
« Reply #903 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »

Ah, sounds like it might be a bug with the writing then. It's supposed to choose from a random selection set for each level. I think I should change the character of the text from desperate to curt and sarcastic - the worst has already happened to him, he's effectively immortal in his current condition (but can't eat, drink, sleep or fuck).

Camping I've figured can just send a beacon to nearby monsters ai, no need to teleport.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

Ah, sounds like it might be a bug with the writing then. It's supposed to choose from a random selection set for each level. I think I should change the character of the text from desperate to curt and sarcastic - the worst has already happened to him, he's effectively immortal in his current condition (but can't eat, drink, sleep or fuck).

Camping I've figured can just send a beacon to nearby monsters ai, no need to teleport.
polymorph rune. Though @ can eat(hearts and runes) just he just doesn't need to to survive.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »

Heh so your saying @ can't get a... boner?  Durr...?

Funny, I had the same idea. I guess dirty minds think alike. I was personalty wondering what would happen if a polymorph rune changed @ into a nymph or a gorgon? Heh heh... for all I know, Red might swing both ways.

...So tempted to write a naughty fanfic based on that idea now.

Edit: About the camping idea, I think it would work best if you could only do it on cleared floors. It would give you more incentive to clear floors, and essentially you could just walk all the way up to the overworld if you really wanted to heal anyway, so it won't really change much in terms of balance.

Edit2: Speaking of cleared floors, I notice keys don't spawn, and key doors are still there, which may or may not be a problem. You can also take keys to other dungeon levels and the display that indicates if you have a key is slightly bugged I think, I don't think it updates when you use a key. It might be better if once you collect a key for the floor it sets a flag for that floor that lets you unlock the door only on that floor. I don't know.

Edit3: I think a lot of the bugs I mentioned were fixed since I last played, the key display and key spawning on cleared floors seem to work for me now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:32:18 AM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »

Bug fix 366

Fixed game breaker in graphics fx.
Fixed armour graphics (broken by promoting chaos armour).
Identify enchant improves only existing enchantments now.
Number of rooms per dungeon reduced.
Monster quantity reduced.
Writings reduced.
Updated story.
Search duration reduced.
Added explosion to possible holy rune effects (should not hurt player or minion).

Sleep mechanic underway. I'm planning on a short cool down described by a shrinking light on a tent, then blackout and healing begins. During this time the game will activate attack ai on any active monsters - if they can get to you then they will attack you. Sleeping in the lower dungeons will incur a risk of nightmares.

Marching all the way up to the underworld is fine, so is creating a healing stone by throwing a heal rune at a wall, but I have to address AFK healing. When the player can technically stand untouched with level 1 regen then I have to compress that waiting time for them.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 26, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »

The only problem with that I can see is it encourages sleeping after every encounter, with hostile monsters possibly waiting around the next corner just out of sight. Sure you COULD go afk to heal, and some people will probably do it anyway, but sis it a good idea to encourage that type of thing? Though the game seems more balanced to that type of gameplay honestly. Come to think of it, lots of roguelikes give the player fairly good regeneration right off the bat. Well whatever. Either way it works.

Also something I think would be neat to add someday would be allowing people to make custom dungeon definitions or other such, allowing different lists of what stuff appears in each floor and their chances. It would be fun to allow alternate dungeon modes or something, possibly sharing them online and stuff. Just a thought.

Edit: Is it just me or does the new wall text make @ sound adorable. Before it was like "KILL THEM ALL, THEY ARE ALL OUR ENEMIES  Angry" and now it's like "I miss being able to pee. Sad" Dawww....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:20:32 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #908 on: April 27, 2012, 01:03:06 AM »

You seem to be ignoring the fact that monsters will attack you if you try to sleep. Even if they are out of sight. They will find a way to get to you.

I listened to a pod cast with Rogue co-creator Glenn Wichman

http://roguelikeradio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/episode-31-rogue-with-co-creator-glenn.html

He describes @ as a scoundrel, not a warrior.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »

I thought you said only "active" monsters went after you if you tried to sleep, I took that to mean it doesn't count ones that haven't seen you yet. If monsters paroled the level a bit on their own or checked out nearby rooms sometimes it would make resting a lot more risky, but usually I think with these kind of rest mechanics the player will carefully clear a room and avoid the notice of monsters in other rooms so they can sleep with impunity. Heh, though if monsters alerted other monsters goblins would be way more of a threat to that because of how they run all over the place.

And of course @ is a scoundrel, he is a rogue. Tongue

Edit: I like how @ is described at one point as "if Charlie Brown in armor and wielding a sword". I always imagined @ as trying to be a smooth Han Solo type, but Red just keeps thinking he is cute and silly.

Edit2: You know I just thought of something. It might be fun if the overworld was the title screen where you could enter a door of some kind to load suspended games, or other such things. There seems like there is room on the overworld for that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:22:27 PM by killozapit » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »

As long as you clear every floor, you can just go up one floor to sleep whenever you feel like it.
ink.inc
« Reply #911 on: April 28, 2012, 01:03:01 AM »

hi steed

i made you a thing

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:25:18 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #912 on: April 28, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »

cool gam btw
st33d
« Reply #913 on: April 28, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »

That's awesome.
st33d
« Reply #914 on: April 28, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »

Update 367

You can now sleep. Only basic mechanic plus monster aggro in. Will need fine tuning.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:52:16 PM by st33d » Logged
st33d
« Reply #915 on: April 29, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

Update 368

alchemy now identifies the rune used (creating a healstone / grindstone)
gates now create a minimap feature when attacked
werewolf periodic confusion changed to periodic stun
werewolf buffed to rogue level and given greater damage and speed (to account for stun)
rogue given red sash
warning issued when sleep-aggro begins
aggro limited to during fade light (3 monsters max)
fixed sleep "zzz" not visible on first attempt
added particles to all portals on the overworld to describe upcoming warehouse feature
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 30, 2012, 02:43:58 AM »

Hey here an idea Red rogue has a "Living Tent" that follows simple commands while asleep. Like pressing any of the directional keys cause the tent to move in that direction(and only in that direction). Pressing any of the hotkey prompts does that action(freely). the down side is that sleeping fade out will happen and you won't see what going on while the tent doing said actions also (said tent can't heal while in motion). Have @ scribble on the wall saying "beware of where you push your tent."
st33d
« Reply #917 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »

wat

Update 370

Fixed implementation of volume distancing (discovered I'd cocked it up)
Added more sound effects to volume distancing model as well as screen shake (exploring the chaos zone was very noisy and shaky)
The text panel in the Lore menu is now expandable.
Log option now in Lore (shows the last 15 log entries).
Save Log option added to Options menu (saves entire log for a game to a text file).

I've decided I'm not going to go with being able to scroll up and down with the text panel and map. I'd rather work on more important things like the title screen, which will allow saving progress to be reimplemented.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 02, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »

Uhh walk into the first issue with lock gates where the key doesn't spawn. Maybe the rogue could just mash a button prompt to lock pick the gates if said case pops up again.

"I'M GOOD WITH A THROWING KNIFE ME"
st33d
« Reply #919 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »

The game should not create impossible key and lock situations, that's a serious bug I've never run into and likely never will run into. Creating a workaround means that the weeks of work I spent making sure this will never happen was completely wasted.

If it happens again you need to tell me the random seed in the options menu.

There is also a bug with resurrection I'm currently working on a solution for.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic