Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:20:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 236844 times)
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »

I only ever had the problem of the keys not showing up if I revisit cleared floors, but like I said before I think that was fixed.

Edit:I also found a rather odd bug that attempting to sleep mid step at least in dogmatic mode causes the tend to continue moving in the direction you were walking. Also you still have to hold a key in dogmatic mode for time to pass, like most things.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:26:58 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #921 on: May 04, 2012, 12:51:39 AM »

Thanks, I forgot about dogmatic mode and sleep. I'll fix that for next update.

I'll double check the gate code to see if revisiting levels could cause an issue. If anyone sees it happen, please tell me the random seed for the game. I currently see no errors in the gate code and it doesn't place gates at random, it picks only positions that will make a solvable puzzle.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »

I only ever had the problem of the keys not showing up if I revisit cleared floors, but like I said before I think that was fixed.

Edit:I also found a rather odd bug that attempting to sleep mid step at least in dogmatic mode causes the tend to continue moving in the direction you were walking. Also you still have to hold a key in dogmatic mode for time to pass, like most things.
crud looks like some one else found it also. You can do more than just sleep in mid step. Fire, search,summon, disarm, any hotkey other than movement is functional while in sleep. hell you can cancel sleep by jumping. I don't see this as bug, firing arrows from a tent is fun.

The thing Dogmatic mode does is it pause the game mid movement making you have to mash some key to continue time.

If anything I might file as a bug is that sleeping in dogmatic mode will pause right after you set up a tent(not moving of course) and you need to press keys to reach zzz then regain health even then the game will pause right when you stop mashing keys.
st33d
« Reply #923 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:03 AM »

Yeah, I thought shooting from the tent was acceptable. There's actually code in "jump" to wake you up.

I'll fix dogmatic mode sleep so that sleep counts as an action.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 04, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »

Yeah, I thought shooting from the tent was acceptable. There's actually code in "jump" to wake you up.

I'll fix dogmatic mode sleep so that sleep counts as an action.
I till find it fun(and Keyboard friendly) to ram into death in a tent.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 04, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »

Though the strange thing for me is, if you sleep mid step in continues moving in that direction even if your not holding the key, and the light is no longer focused on the tent.
st33d
« Reply #926 on: May 05, 2012, 05:36:22 AM »

Bugfix 371

Fixed game breaking bug caused by wearing undead enchanted armour.
Sliding tent bug fixed.
Sleep now counts as an action in dogmatic mode.

I've checked the code thoroughly and tried going up and down dungeon levels as well as using portals with locked gates. There is always a key spawned somewhere on the side of the gate where you enter the dungeon.

If anyone experiences this issue of a key not seeming to spawn, go into the menu, go to options, write down the number next to the random seed option and post it here. It may be caused by a completely unrelated bug. Using logic to trap it isn't going to work.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 05, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

To be fair, I am not sure me and Rumrusher are talking about the same thing. It used to be I could reproduce the bug fairly consistently I think, and I always thought it was just the key was flagged not to spawn if already collected, or saved the same way objects are. However as I said before I haven't yet been able to reproduce the bug on newer versions. Rumrusher makes it sound like more of a general failure for the key to spawn in an accessible location. I don't think I have ever encountered a problem going through the level the first time around.

Edit: I just noticed that small ledges floating in the middle of rooms with only one ladder leading up to them are perfect camping spots, because you can camp on top of the latter and enemies won't be able to path to you. This and how enemies sometimes sit on top of ladders themselves blocking you form going up sort of make me wish you and monsters could attack from below when climbing.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:33:48 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #928 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »

A key is always spawned with a gate. It does not consider whether you have a key or not because there is no code to do such a thing. Keys and gates are placed before any other content in the level is. Key placement is an infinite loop that can only be broken out of by placing a key. If a key could not be placed then the entire game would crash.

Attacking up and down is a can of worms. It's basically going back to the drawing board because the combat code will have to be rewritten from the ground up as well as throwing and shooting. Then the AI will have to be rewritten as well. If someone else wants to write that game using my code, good for them.

Sleeping in a place where you can troll monsters is fine, so long as it doesn't happen to often. Nightmares are yet to go in.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 06, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »

Well generally I think attacking up and down isn't very useful except for this particular case. Plus you can already stun enemies by landing on them. Throwing up and down might be useful but also seems kind of unnecessary to me. In fact really, just pushing things out of the way would be useful in the case of blocked ladders. But if it's too much trouble it's too much trouble.

Besides nightmares, I was also wondering if timed levels would be a good idea. It's something the Japanese Mystery Dungeon games and Spelunky do, that after some time has gone by a real powerful enemy spawns or something, though I guess nightmares have the same function.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »

A key is always spawned with a gate. It does not consider whether you have a key or not because there is no code to do such a thing. Keys and gates are placed before any other content in the level is. Key placement is an infinite loop that can only be broken out of by placing a key. If a key could not be placed then the entire game would crash.

Attacking up and down is a can of worms. It's basically going back to the drawing board because the combat code will have to be rewritten from the ground up as well as throwing and shooting. Then the AI will have to be rewritten as well. If someone else wants to write that game using my code, good for them.

Sleeping in a place where you can troll monsters is fine, so long as it doesn't happen to often. Nightmares are yet to go in.
So we get flaming black horses for mounts/enemies? Sweet also I only ran into the problem once and it was fixed by reloading the dungeon again by going back a floor.
st33d
« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

That's no consolation to someone who plays the game for the first time and finds the exit to the level locked behind a gate with it taunting them about a key they can't find.
st33d
« Reply #932 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »

Update 372

Dreams now occur during sleep. These will be the rogue's muddled thoughts and musings.

From level 11 onwards nightmares may happen, caused by the antagonist reaching into the rogue's mind. A nasty surprise awaits those who wake from a nightmare.

The writing in the dreams and on the walls is still early drafts. I've more work to do on it.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »

That's no consolation to someone who plays the game for the first time and finds the exit to the level locked behind a gate with it taunting them about a key they can't find.

We both found the problem by going back a floor, I just wonder if that actually would effect anything. Also do seeds actually effect where doors and keys would go on revisited levels? If we find a similar situation would a seed actually be useful? Oh well, I am not even sure if that problem still exists anymore, so I will just have to keep my eye out.

Also you could always ask other people to help with the wall/dream text. I still would like to see more lore options for them but...

Speaking of lore, Ever thought about lore book items that unlock new lore categories? Like needing to find a monster tomb before the race option appears in the lore list. Guess that is the kind of details to be worked out after saving is in though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:31:53 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #934 on: May 08, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »

We both found the problem by going back a floor, I just wonder if that actually would effect anything. Also do seeds actually effect where doors and keys would go on revisited levels? If we find a similar situation would a seed actually be useful?

I tried visiting previous floors, using portals, etc. The bug was impossible to reproduce. There is nothing in the code to suggest there is an error in key placement. It is perhaps a different catastrophic bug whose symptom is hiding items.

The seed creates the entire game, it is used to generate more seeds that are used when revisiting levels.
st33d
« Reply #935 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:36 AM »

Was invited to talk about Red Rogue on Roguelike Radio last night.

A few notes:

Thinking of adding some gas traps (like Catacomb Kid shrooms) on later zones.
May break up content into zones (except for level 1) instead of doling it out per level.
Could add a 180 attack to long weapons (split attack between monsters when attacked from front and behind).

A charge up attack was discussed, but after sleeping on it I'm against it now because the monsters would need horribly complex AI to manage it. I think more diverse combat should come out of different weapons (like the 180 idea) and the core mechanics should remain very simple.

I'll post a link to the podcast when it goes live.
ifoundthebug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:46 AM »

I found your key+gate bug while diving into this game to see the new content after not having played since many revisions.

I think this is the smoking gun for the bug's existence -- I played through the first level of the dungeon and descended a floor to lvl 2. Spawned in a map with only one path open to the right, which was blocked by a gate. A few steps down that passage was the blocked gate. No keys anywhere (literally only one room explored). I tried going up and down between floors 1 and 2 repeatedly to see if the layout rearranged, but it didn't. Unopenable gate was still there. Is that because lvls 1 & 2 don't redraw by design? Maybe in later levels you can go back up the exit to work around a blocked gate? But if it shows up a few paces away from the first room in the second level, that is game-breaking :-(

Anyway, the random seed value was 909824983. I had to reroll a new game.
st33d
« Reply #937 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:41 AM »

Confirmed.

Fucking awesome. Thanks a million for this. I owe you a beer.

I will fix this issue as soon as possible.
ifoundthebug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »

Not a problem. The improvements are really remarkable after not trying this for so long. Just in terms of UI/UX alone it is a lot more comfortable.

As for  Toast Right, I'm more of a wine drinker. But you can thank me by putting something in the wall runes. Well, hello there!
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 10, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »

Bugfix 371

Fixed game breaking bug caused by wearing undead enchanted armour.
Sliding tent feature removed.
Sleep now counts as an action in dogmatic mode.

Cry welp going to play red rogue as an insomniac now. Dang what a fun time I had with it.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic