Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:32:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnything Beats Everything
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Anything Beats Everything  (Read 33830 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »

I present to you...

Gentleman

>> Click here to see the
TEASER TRAILER!!

Anything Beats Everything is a game I'm making in Flash, in ActionScript 3.

I needed a small, simple game project to complete on my own. So I thought of this energetic game concept and made a non-playable prototype two nights ago, showing lots of colors and a variety of simple but colorful graphics.

Here's how ABE's played. Each level starts with a certain time, say 30 seconds. Basic instructions on what to look for appear at the bottom of the screen as happy hardcore music starts playing. Then the screen fills up with items, one of which fits the description. Timer starts counting down.

If you click on the wrong object, you lose the level. If you get the right item, you move back to the grid. The level grid is the shell of the game, is where you'll select the levels you'll play, trying to score Tic-Tac-Toe-like lines of succesfully completed levels. Every line you complete will net you a bunch of rewards - I'll talk about that in a future post. You can see there's a variety of level categories, easy, hard, expert, boss, trivia, story and puzzle! Yes, puzzle levels!

I'm still working on the help screens, as shown here. I want something clean, an overlay with clear instructions.

The goal is to survive as long as possible as the "levels" get harder. And by harder I mean more animated chaos, more items, smaller items, smaller differences, more craziness.

Note: the next few screens are from an earlier build.

I'm thinking of having a WIDE variety of items in there. For now I have those:
Bacon, bird, carrot, clown, birdman, mummy, death, flame, tomato, shovel, cake, RUNMAN, masks, leaf, cookie, skull, fishbones, nazi helmet, dollar bill, sandglass, cheese, alien, snowman, robot. But I plan on adding random stuff like Obama, Eiffel Towers, Lego Bricks, my head, planets, Yetis, Vampires, Hitlers, gorillas, nukes, coins, flags, ink stains, Hulks, rocketmen, pirates, pin-up ladies, baseball cards, etc.

I'm inviting artists (and anyone really) to participate and to add in new "levels". If you're ever interested to have, say, your RunMan in there, or your Spelunker, your Viking, or anything really, see the post reply here or the game's site right heeere!  Grin

An example of a level made from someone else's contribution (from Tobe's Vertical Adventure's creator Rayteoactive):

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:36:58 AM by Dom2D » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:42:15 PM »

I'm not bad at these! It's a nice simple game, and has lots of style.
Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »

Nice and stylish, lotsa pretty colours!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Looks especially like something my wife would love Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »

Also, totally love that new highlighted idea!
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »

Thanks guys.

As for the highlighted idea, I think it would be fairly easy for any artist to submit one or a few basic pieces, like a running animation (RunMan) or a Knight just dashing through the air... I was definitely gonna ask my artist friends first, to have a solid version to send to artists I'd want to see in the game.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
*opens Beginning Programming for Dummies book*
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:08:46 PM by Dom2D » Logged

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »

More news on that as soon as I can manage to
a) learn enough ActionScript to code the randomization of the levels, the timer and the score counter
b) find someone to tell me how to do it
c) find someone who can do it for me  Who, Me?

I vote for a) or b) - you can do it dom2D!

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »

Updates:
  • Half-way through "Beginning Programming" book Smiley
  • Designed object-based program on paper
  • Ordered ActionScript 3.0 book, found a bunch of tutorials too
  • Installed FlashDevelop and Flixel, read a bit about those two
  • Wrote guidelines for level design

So yeah! It might take a while, since I'm actually LEARNING programming as I'm making the game  Shrug

But I'm getting good feedback and have a few people on board for the collaborator designs!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:03:32 PM by Dom2D » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:56:40 AM »

AH, just now saw this. Look's very cool. If you need any help on programming front I could help you out. This game would be quite easy for you to do by yourself, so it's a good starting point if you want to program in flash/flixel in the future (any reason why you decided to use flash?).

Really diggin' the style of it. Good luck  Beer!
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

I just came back from Ottawa's International Animation Festival, where I got to hear two Indiecade presentations and attend many more great talks from succesful animators. The whole weekend was really inspiring and motivating; I'm now 300% as pumped about making this game as I was on friday.

AH, just now saw this. Look's very cool. If you need any help on programming front I could help you out. This game would be quite easy for you to do by yourself, so it's a good starting point if you want to program in flash/flixel in the future (any reason why you decided to use flash?).

Thanks Allen, I'll be sure to bother every single time my program does not compile for some reason.  Wink

As for "Why Flash?", I guess I want to create a game I really want to do and put it somewhere easy to access for all types of people, without the barrier of download or Windows only or whatever. 

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

A couple new levels, breakfast-related:

I'm hungry now.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 05:09:47 AM »

I freaking love breakfast.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »

It's the most important puzzle of the day! Corny Laugh
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »

deathtotheweird
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 04:41:05 PM »

man I love your artwork.

hows the coding front going along?
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

Thanks Smiley I'm glad other people like breakfast.  Durr...?
I'm reading about programming in general, doing tutorials in Actionscript and Flixel stuff. It's going kinda slowly, I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »

I love that we can play the game right in this thread too Big Laff
Keep em coming

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »

Trying out a couple things:

I'm also trying new stuff on the interface and maybe adding a sort of host character.

I'm posting a bunch on my website too if you want to see some more. >>http://www.dom2d.com<<

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:37:17 PM by Dom2D » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »

Yay! A host! I hope he likes breakfast.

Also, I don't know why exactly, but I the name "Anything Beats Everything" is one of the better ones I've heard in ages. And it suits the art nicely.
Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 03:19:14 AM »

That tomato one gives me a kind of magic eye feeling. I could stare at it for ages Smiley

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »

Oh maybe I could do some in Magic Eye  Blink

Yeah I like the name too, but I was worried it might never catch on or be easily searched on Google or something. Last week I wasn't even coming up in the search, but today I checked and this thread is coming up first! Yay!

I get happy with the smallest things  Giggle

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic