Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:58:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGrand Feather
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Grand Feather  (Read 20219 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »

The game takes place on an island that is ruled over by three majestic birds known on the island as the Grand Feathers.  As rulers over different divisions of the island, they keep peace among the various towns and inhabitants of the land.  The island survives peacefully seperated and unknown to the violent outside world, until one day an untold object falls from the sky and unleashes hell upon the island. You control a character named Jack and his dog Roger who land on the island by mistake eventually become mixed up in the ensuing events years after the island has fallen from peace.  While Jack cannot do much but run, jump, and push objects, he must seek out the help of his animal companions that he meets on the island to aid him in his progress.  Each new animal you gain as a friend will aid you in a new way, using their powers to defeat monsters, navigate dangerous terrain, and explore the mysterious remnants of the once great island.

Grand Feather is a project that HandCraftedRadio and I have been working on.  The project previously ran under the codename, "chainsaw".  HandCraftedRadio is doing the coding in C++ with his own game engine and I am doing all of the artwork and animation for the game.  We are also very lucky to have some friends willing to help us out on our project; Gutter has been taking on some cool Hi-res Illustrations including the picture above and Sir who hasnt posted on Tig for a while but has helped us out with a few drawings and may be helping us some more in the future.  Hopefully you guys will enjoy watching the progress of this game and enjoy the end result even more!  Heres a few screen shots and dont forget to check out our development blog at http://www.sharkarmstudios.com .

Keep in mind that the artwork is not completely done yet in these shots but are nearing completion.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »

i like the logo, and the art is interesing.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

Oh, so is this where your avatar is from? It looks lovely. I'll be looking forward to this.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »

Fantastic sprites, and not even completed? Wowzers.

This seems like my kind of game.

WATCHING DIS  Blink

EDIT: You forgot to mention you had a

!
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »

Color me excited!

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:22:32 AM »

Oh, it's nice to see you starting a development thread! It's been fun seeing the art you've put up in various other threads, this seems like quite a promising project so far.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:06 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's really encouraging. We are nearing 1 year in development time (though, we weren't able to work on it a month or two), and most of that time was spent just developing the basic game system and figuring out how we want the game and the story to go. Most of that stuff is done now so we are mainly going to be pumping out new content for the game so we thought it would be an interesting time for a devlog. Everything is really coming together and moving along very quickly so there will most likely be a lot of updates so keep watching this thread and our blog if you are interested. We are also going to be looking for some beta testers to help us out so make sure you let us know if you want to do that.  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks for posting up that link to the video, Inanimate, must've forgot to post that in the OP. We will probably have another, better, video up soon that actually shows the different kinds of companions in action, which is what the gameplay is focused around.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »

I recently made an in game movie recorder to record a series of bitmaps to later put in either a gif or a video file, though I can't figure out how to increase the framerate of the gif files so it's running pretty slow. Anyone know if that's even possible?

This clip here shows the particle effect's for Rake's sucking in and blowing out power that I added in today.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »

look amazing, buttt

why does the background rocks have lines cut out?

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:05 AM »

I recently made an in game movie recorder to record a series of bitmaps to later put in either a gif or a video file, though I can't figure out how to increase the framerate of the gif files so it's running pretty slow. Anyone know if that's even possible?
From my patchy memory of working with animated gifs way back when, I believe that they don't have a set framerate as such, but rather each frame has a delay setting how long it will be displayed.

As for how you go about setting that, ask the internet Smiley

MaloEspada
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »

look amazing, buttt

why does the background rocks have lines cut out?

Purely style, I guess.

Been following this for a while, great work SharkArm.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »

From my patchy memory of working with animated gifs way back when, I believe that they don't have a set framerate as such, but rather each frame has a delay setting how long it will be displayed.

As for how you go about setting that, ask the internet Smiley
Not sure about other programs, but GIMP can set the speed of gifs.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »

Alright well the reason it isn't going as fast as it should, from what I read, is that most browsers don't support really low frame delays. The delay should be fine if you were to open it up in another program. I am going to try fixing the recording methods so it throws out a few frames so it can play faster at a lower frame rate.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »

Thought I would update you with some water effects animation I'm doing.  This one took me a good while to do but I think I learned a better and more efficient method to animating water.  Lets hope so or this water dungeon could take a long time. Shocked
I think I posted a still frame of this a while ago in the pixel thread and I had previously tried animating it and it looked terrible.  Now that Ive gotten a lot more practice at animation I think I got it looking pretty good.  Maybe Ill post up the old one for a good laugh.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »

This is really beautiful
I was wondering what all those sprites were for

Good luck

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »

I love your style caliber Beer!
This is gonna be EPIC

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »

full size - http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/297/a/b/Unique_Surroundings_by_Oneiric_Studios.jpg

Well, speaking of water dungeons, I have something I wanted to post:  new piece of promotional art.  While Caliber was working on his water animation, I drew from it as inspiration for this piece as we get a clearer representation of the hero:  Jack.

Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »

That vid w/ the dog looks pretty keen.  Nice promo pic gutter.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »

Some things I've been working on, also i like recording gifs:

Bouncy things, not all that original but a fundamental part of platforming I think.

Turtle-like creature with wind coming out of his shell. ( I know about that bug with the red bird there, and it's already fixed.)

Now to move on to the more complex and fun level elements.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:11:03 PM by handCraftedRadio » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »

loveeeelyyy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic