Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:46:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesVVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Print
Author Topic: VVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)  (Read 94624 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

I'll just leave this here.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
deathtotheweird
« Reply #481 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »

big bump for VVVVVV release on Steam (mac and windows)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/

sale price is 10 percent off so you can get it for 4.49 instead of 4.99 until sept 14.

For those who didn't buy it because of the price, you have no excuse now  Grin
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: September 08, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

Just got my copy! Really enjoyed the demo and can't wait to get stuck in :D

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 08, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »

Stuck on "doing things the hard way."

So much mental anguish.

Terry is going to be hearing from my lawyers...

My... MURDER LAWYERS.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: September 08, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »

Just beat it. Probably the most pleasantly annoying game I've played in a long time. (A loooong time)

Definitely worth the price. Smiley

Edit: It kinda reminded me of Matt Thorson's games, actually. Fiendishly difficult but at the same time rewarding and ... dare I say, fun Epileptic (A hard game that's fun? Who woulda thunk it)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:49:38 AM by rAzzB1tCH » Logged

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »

this isn't directed at you razz, but i've been seeing it a lot.

the people saying that it's worth the price tick me off.
it wasn't worth it before?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #486 on: September 09, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »

the people saying that it's worth the price tick me off.
it wasn't worth it before?

to some it wasn't worth it's price at 15 dollars. no big deal, no reason to discuss it further. it's not like their opinion on the worth of the game is universally true. it's just how some people feel, and that's ok. no need to get ticked off about it.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »

People value money differently. It's pointless to discuss.

Before this was on my list of games I'd probably buy when I ran out of other stuff to play, but at 5 bucks I can't resist. I'll be picking this up this weekend. Here's hoping that the steam deal gets Terry a lot more exposure and sales.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: September 10, 2010, 03:37:35 AM »

Thanks for the bump, Allen Smiley

Terry is going to be hearing from my lawyers...

My... MURDER LAWYERS.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2010, 05:38:36 AM »

VVVVVV happy and sad faces need to be implemented as official TIG smilies.
st33d
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2010, 05:46:53 AM »

We should have a button that gives you the death sound as well.

*bleuuu*
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:17 AM »

Shit, forgot to buy it.  Blink_ Blink
Thanks for reminding me thread. :D

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »

Just picked up VVVVVV.

Am I understanding this correctly? The options seem to offer the opportunity to unlock any of the unlockable content at any time at no cost. This seems like a huge innovation in terms of accessibility - nothing is kept from the player if they should decide, at any time, that they cannot complete the challenges normally required to unlock it.

I'm honestly shocked nobody has mentioned this. I don't think there is a single other game in the world that offers this same kind of instant access to all the content in addition to traditional unlocks for completing challenges. I certainly have never come across one.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #493 on: September 10, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »

Eufloria did that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Terry got the idea from them.

It's definitely very cool, because it is frustrating sometimes when you have to struggle and work at something to unlock extra content in games. That's not always fun, so it's nice to have an option to unlock it if I want to.

It's especially nice in VVVVVV because I unlocked every thing but lost my save (damn CCleaner erased it) before I got to enjoy the unlocked stuff.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »

My mind poses some resistance to the concept. I like the idea of unlockables that are meant to be unlocked somehow, otherwise they could very well be placed just as normal options available from the start.

Unlockables are like achievements that actually give you something palpable and rewarding for your effort, besides a meaningless extra bit of gamerscore and having an icon light up somewhere.

This is a cool thing and pretty unique in terms of accessibility, but at the same time it seems meaningless to call them 'unlockables' if you can get them from the start. It feels gimmicky, I guess. It'd be more logical to just have them as normal gameplay options.

Maybe there's some psychology involved, that people would still see these as real unlockables, especially since they CAN unlock them through the normal way by completing the respective challenges, while the ones that don't have the skill, time or patience can just get them whenever they want. I have heard that the player's psychology is a lot more important to game design than the technical elements of a game. But it still feels odd.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »

I don't get a feeling of accomplishment if it's just given to me. That's why I don't like cheats until after I've beaten a game. Then I use them to break the game or do cool stuff. Flying cars GTA:VC FTW. :D

deathtotheweird
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »

Well it's a choice, no one is forcing you to open them up through a menu. You can if you want, you paid for the game-you should have access to it if you want.

Here's the start of the bit about it in the Eufloria thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8332.msg274963#msg274963
Corpus said it very well, I think:

Quote from: Corpus
Some people just aren't interested in going through all that unlocking bullshit in the first place. I know I'm not. I'm glad games are starting to give us the right to choose for ourselves.

Unlockables are like achievements that actually give you something palpable and rewarding for your effort
Yeah I agree but what if I don't want to spend an hour on Veni Vidi Vici just so I can unlock an extra mode? Should I not have access to that part of the game? Doesn't sound fun to me. Which is why having it unlockable via a menu pleases both worlds. No one is forcing you to unlock it through the menu, you can still get it and feel proud of yourself or whatever. Me, I don't care. I just want to play the game and get access to all it's modes without going through a bunch of hoops.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »

I played through the game today (Yeah, Veni Vedi Vici probably took more deaths than the rest of the game combined) and I'm still okay with the idea of freebie unlockables.

I think that the setup is good. Aside from the options menu spoiling you immediately when you click it (I would have liked the alternate mode names kept secret from me until I opted to spoil them) it doesn't feel to me like it detracts from anything. If you're lazy and unlock it all right away you're only hurting yourself, since it's pretty nearly equivalent to opening your christmas presents early. This also has the benefit of opening up the market by making the game an option for people who are otherwise terrible at platformers.

I personally think this is a really good idea, and something Terry really should play up more in his advertising. I have trouble seeing this drive away people who would have otherwise bought the game and certainly it would attract some people who would otherwise have played the demo and said "Too hard for me".

It's also something I don't ever see myself using except in rare cases, and VVVVVV is not one of those cases.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

Unlockables are like achievements that actually give you something palpable and rewarding for your effort, besides a meaningless extra bit of gamerscore and having an icon light up somewhere.
Achievements are unlockables' lazy freeloading cousin.

Anyway,
This is a cool thing and pretty unique in terms of accessibility, but at the same time it seems meaningless to call them 'unlockables' if you can get them from the start. It feels gimmicky, I guess. It'd be more logical to just have them as normal gameplay options.
I don't see it as much different from using cheats except it's more "official". Even if it didn't exist there'd probably still be an easy way, like downloading a 100% completed save file for instance, to get all the unlockables without any effort.

But I reckon this is more of an "ideological" question than anything. I've had a long discussion with a friend about whether abusing bugs is cheating some time ago.  Tongue
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »

That's a another thing I don't like. Achievements hardly ever unlock anything anymore. Sad I like unlockables...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic