Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:02:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIcebergvania!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Icebergvania!  (Read 13664 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »

Yeah, that'd be neat.  Most people walk right and stay on land.  So just make the rest of the iceberg accessible via an ocean dive on the left side of the map.  Most players will just walk through the surface on the right and finish the game.  They'll never realize the depth they missed.  :D

Hmm that's an idea. I could use that. But if I do or not, I won't tell. Anything past like the first screen would probably be a spoiler :D

The point of the game would be, you're GOING to have to play through multiple times to get everything. But there's different paths so yea.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »

http://chrontendo.blogspot.com/

If you have any love for the famicom, I just destroyed your free time this week.

Zunou Senkan Galg is the name of the shmup you're looking for.  It's covered in episode #6.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Seth
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »

Quote from: Hemingway
If a writer of a prose knows enough about what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of the iceberg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. The writer who omits things because he does not know them only makes hollow places in his writing.

I sometimes think that the sense of there being more than you can find is more important than that stuff actually being in game.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »

Well that clears up where the "iceberg" part of the name comes from.

Man, that's truly an awesome statement.  I think that might be why I can still play Mario 3 to death.  I always feel like there's one more thing to see, although after all these years I'm sure that's no longer true.  Smiley

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

The idea of 'icebergvania' is really inspiring; it gives me a lot of nice but too ambitious ideas. But yeah, best secrets are those that you find without any help!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »

With the internet games like this seem almost hopeless as far as maintaining their secrets for more than a month or so. There are people out there hopelessly addicted to games and to finding everything in games. These people will chew your game and spit out secrets.

I've been devising ways to fight them. Ways that require more than 'use every item in every inch possible'.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »

It's easy, make up a shit ton of lies and propagate those lies in all the regular game cheat channels. You could also make up a ton of secrets and have very difficult and obscure requirements to get them, like real world time of day and stuff like that.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

Or, one could just stick a secret wall in a game that can be only open by solving the riddle on a Rouge-like site(some fake in game domain, or real), that would open up a long and tedious dating sim, where beating it leads to opening the wall. Which reveals a dusty room with tally marks which counts up to 100 but one is bloody and a slightly rotten corpse of someone you met not to long ago with a note saying "I been waiting for you.". picking up the note earns you both "the note" and "the forgotten son" which is the description reads " baby fetus painted in gold... that looks kinda like you".

Now I think of it if any game had that secret like that I would just quit the game right there due to the trouble of it all. Worst be it's the last 'item' to get then not only you get a anticlimactic 100% surprise but the halls of the area is dead no activity no will to explore just memories of the forgotten.

then you unlock mutliplayer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:30:58 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

Or, one could just stick a secret wall in a game that can be only open by solving the riddle on a Rouge-like site(some fake in game domain, or real), that would open up a long and tedious dating sim, where beating it leads to opening the wall. Which reveals a dusty room with tally marks which counts up to 100 but one is bloody and a slightly rotten corpse of someone you met not to long ago with a note saying "I been waiting for you.". picking up the note earns you both "the note" and "the forgotten son" which is the description reads " baby fetus painted in gold... that looks kinda like you".
That is scary.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:22 AM »

That and if you figure out the time she was lock up in there one could rewind time via messing the computer clock and the forgotten son would open his eye or grow younger if you go too far back in time. still after beating it the halls are still be dead.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »

One problem with that is the second part of secret hunters, the people that hack game files to uncover secrets too hard to get through normal means. Those are less common though, and could be fought with making your code for the secrets extremely hard to follow, even if they could understand the compiled files.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

It's easy, make up a shit ton of lies and propagate those lies in all the regular game cheat channels. You could also make up a ton of secrets and have very difficult and obscure requirements to get them, like real world time of day and stuff like that.
I remember that from when Pokemon was still new and I was a wee naive little kid. I remember one "rumor" going that you could catch Mario as a Pokemon. Ah, fun times  :D

Man yeah, Pokemon was crazy for those kind of rumours. The one that had me most excited at the time was about finding Mew underneath a truck next to the SS Anne, providing you had the keys to the truck which were obtained by trading a Lv 100 Nidoking with someone, or something like that. The best part was the truck actually existed if you swam off to the side of the SS Anne, even though you had to do some sequence breaking to bypass the ship so it didn't sail off and you could return when you got Surf, so most people would never see it.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »

One problem with that is the second part of secret hunters, the people that hack game files to uncover secrets too hard to get through normal means. Those are less common though, and could be fought with making your code for the secrets extremely hard to follow, even if they could understand the compiled files.
while your at it toss in a secret egg for those who do that, since those explorers are a rare bunch.
B. van Stokkum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:58 AM »

Man yeah, Pokemon was crazy for those kind of rumours. The one that had me most excited at the time was about finding Mew underneath a truck next to the SS Anne, providing you had the keys to the truck which were obtained by trading a Lv 100 Nidoking with someone, or something like that. The best part was the truck actually existed if you swam off to the side of the SS Anne, even though you had to do some sequence breaking to bypass the ship so it didn't sail off and you could return when you got Surf, so most people would never see it.

Yeah.  I have to admit that I was pretty blown away when I first found the truck after hearing those rumors.  Didn't even matter that Mew wasn't actually obtainable.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 04:19:48 AM »

The problem I see with icebergvanias is that secrets are usually discovered by people who love the hell out of a game and play it so much they know every nook and cranny and secret of it.

So, if the tip of your iceberg isn't interesting enough nobody's ever going to find out there's a base.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 04:39:34 AM »

Yeah, that'd be neat.  Most people walk right and stay on land.  So just make the rest of the iceberg accessible via an ocean dive on the left side of the map.  Most players will just walk through the surface on the right and finish the game.  They'll never realize the depth they missed.  :D

This is awesome.  People assume water = instant death in platformers.  At some point half way through the game they'll fail a jump, fall in the water, and realise there's a whole extra world down there they've been missing, and have to go back through everything.  Great way to hint that there might be even more they're missing.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 06:33:23 AM »

The problem I see with icebergvanias is that secrets are usually discovered by people who love the hell out of a game and play it so much they know every nook and cranny and secret of it.

So, if the tip of your iceberg isn't interesting enough nobody's ever going to find out there's a base.

Sounded to me like that was pretty much the whole point.

I do like these ideas here.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »

This is awesome.  People assume water = instant death in platformers.  At some point half way through the game they'll fail a jump, fall in the water, and realise there's a whole extra world down there they've been missing, and have to go back through everything.  Great way to hint that there might be even more they're missing.

Totally hilarious and faaahhbulously amazing idea! I really like that, and now I want to make an icebergvania ;_;

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »

Totally hilarious and faaahhbulously amazing idea! I really like that, and now I want to make an icebergvania ;_;

You too Hempuli?! And I call dibs on one taking place on an iceberg!

...ICEBERGVANIA COMPO
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »

I'd make it happen in a SotC-esque temple, though. But yeah.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic