Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:12:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 90287 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »

Assemblee is a two-part game-making competition!  Each part has its own rules.

1. In the first part, artists and musicians will have a month to create as many art and music assets as they wish.  These assets will be voted on at the end of the month based on the quantity, quality, and variety of the assets provided.

2. In the second part, designers and programmers will have a month to take the assets created in part one and make games with them (assets used need not be limited to one person or team).  The programmers cannot make any changes to the assets unless it's done during runtime.  The best game will be voted on in the normal fashion.

3. Finally, the teams that created games for the second part will each vote on which artists and musicians they felt were the most useful in making their game.

4. The art and music that was created for the competition will be released to the public under certain provisions (non-commercial, credit given, etc.).

PART ONE: ART AND MUSIC COMPO

This is the first part of the competition, so we're looking for artists and musicians (toot toot!).  Your job is to create awesome artwork and audio that programmers and designers will get to use in the second part.

Start Date: Now

End Date: Sunday, November 29 (Around Midnight)

Part Two (Programming and Design) will begin shortly after (TBA).

Rules for Part One (Art and Music):

- Assets should be started and ended within the time frame of the competition to be considered for judging (but it's OKAY if you start thinking/prototyping a bit earlier).

- Assets must be made for the competition only.

- To enter the competition, start a thread for yourself here.  Each person (or team) is allowed only one thread.  Post all final assets in the first post of the thread.  If possible, post every individual asset, even if you are making a single zip available!  This will make it easier for people to evaluate your work.

- Please break up your artwork into the relevant pieces.  Do not just post mockups!

- You may submit as many assets as you wish, and of any type or mixture of types (art or music).  In fact, THE MORE, AND THE MORE DIVERSE, THE BETTER!

- Onlookers are allowed to make suggestions and comment on the assets, but if you plan on participating in the part two, you cannot share your game ideas in detail with the artists and musicians.

- A list of asset types and formats will be provided.  Be creative!  And make a lot of stuff!  You never know how your assets will be used in part two!

- YOU MAY PARTICIPATE IN BOTH PARTS, IF YOU WISH.

- One final thing: Jeff Lindsay fuckin' loves you!

Okay, let's do it! Evil
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:07:31 PM by Derek » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:10:15 AM »

I'm still kinda working on this, so it won't be frontpaged until tomorrow. Durr...?

// Edit: Done!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:46:46 PM by Derek » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »

OMG!

first, that poster is lovely  Kiss

second, this idea for the compo is ace  Wink

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »

Holy shit im sooo down for this  Crazy
genericuser
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 02:39:54 AM »

Can you participate in both parts?
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:54 AM »

Awesome!

I'm not so great with graphics, so I'll mostly be working on music. This is going to be fun.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:03 AM »

Glee! Might throw out an asset or two. Nothing spesh, but I'll try and make 'em fun. Hell, maybe I'll even try my hand at a small game. I think I'm actually ready this time. Gonna be some nice results. Will the asset makers be able to actively collaborate with the game makers?

Also, sweet poster! Though, at first I thought it was a Sad Man rather than a Happy Birdy.

Also Also, Assembleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:58:17 AM »

Will the asset makers be able to actively collaborate with the game makers?
- Onlookers are allowed to make suggestions and comment on the assets, but if you plan on participating in the part two, you cannot share your game ideas in detail with the artists and musicians.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 06:40:18 AM »

nice poster

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »

I'm looking forward to the shear randomness generated by this competition. To this end I will try and generate art assets that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Hopefully a few of my assets will end up in a bunch of games. That or some one will create a crazy steam punk, sci-fi, zombie apocalypse of a game. At this phase the possibilities are endless.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
pgil
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »

I'm psyched for this compo. Can't decide if I want to do graphics, music, or both.

Question: If I do both graphics and music, can I put those in two separate threads?

Another question: Will each programmer be using the assets of a different artist, or can anybody use any assets they want?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:25:49 PM by pgil » Logged
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »

I think I'm going to use my in-progress synthesizer to make a bunch of sound effects for this compo. I might even make some art.

The characters in the poster confuse me. Are they happy ducks? Frowning humans with four arms? Mustachioed humans with four arms?
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »

I'm shit in everything but programming so this a really ace idea for a compo. I can use others people stuff and don't even have to feel bad about it!
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »

Sounds great ! Of course I have no art skills so I shall twiddle my thumbs and wait for the barrage of assets.

Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

How would teams work?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

I think it'd be okay to collaborate on art or music and share a thread.  It may give you a slight leg up over individual competitors, but then again, you'd have to share the credit!

Big Laff
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

Frontpage'd! Hand Thumbs Up Left
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

Awriiight! It's time to get my THINKING CAP on!  Hand Pencil Crazy Hand Shake Right

Also, question! Does it count for graphics made for this compo to be based on a base for graphics you made before this started?

EEEEEEEGH
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »

I think that's acceptable!
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

Assuming I have time I'm all over this for music. Sounds like a blast!

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic