Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:20:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall(final) "We Want YOU": procedural war platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: (final) "We Want YOU": procedural war platformer  (Read 19554 times)
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »

We Want YOU Release Build 1.2
Last update February 1, 2010  

"...as unreal as the war the film companies had restarted in Vietnam."
-JG Ballard, The Atrocity Exhibition

ABOUT:

We Want YOU is a procedurally generated war platformer for Windows.

Fame and fortune will be yours; just fight your way through enemy territory back to your allied camp. As you battle you will receive important updates from the home front to keep you on your righteous mission.
Join the fight for Freedom, your country needs you!

"We Want YOU is a simple, but infinitely replayable, satire of war...
We Want YOU should be played by anyone looking for a great freeware action game - scratch that, by anyone at all
- and fans of games like Spelunky will not be disappointed."

-James Murff, Big Download

The new version (1.2) adds an all new unlockable civilian mode, as well as a few new surprises in the existing modes. We also fixed some bugs and optimized the game.

FEATURES:

-Play with 10 fun weapons!
-Meet fascinating new people, and kill them!
-Travel exotic locales, from wastelands to gulags!
-Become a hero, and get YOUR 15 minutes of fame!
-Unlock two bonus modes for new ways to die!

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION:

http://wewantyou.quicksandgames.com/

Direct Download> Here or Here.

ABOUT QUICKSAND GAMES:

Quicksand Games is a two person team dedicated to making fun, intelligent games which use the medium in unique ways.

We Want YOU is our first release. Our next game, FREEDOM, is in development.final
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:08:45 AM by Quicksand-T » Logged

TheDustin
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »

You had me at procedurally generated platformer. Checking it out right now.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:04:13 AM »

FINALLY. i cant wait to see the ending... in like, 30 years of (real time) playing and failing, haha.

DOWNLOADING. You'll be hearing from me.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:31 AM »

Very fun, nice first game Quicksand! Pleased to see the enemies get harder in later levels (jump etc). Grenades would be a nice touch for later levels imo. Can't wait to see updates / future games  Cool

destiny is truth pre-op
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »

Looks great, I'mma download it as soon as I get on my PC; internet is all not good right now on that one, though. x.x

My games on  GameJolt.com

TheDustin
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »

Totally not what I was expecting, in a good way. I have one question to ask before I reserve my final judgement:

HILITE SPOILERZ:

Can you actually reach the end? Because if the thing goes on indefinitely it would be a great satire of the war. The news feed alone makes this so, but having that as an added touch would make it all the more biting.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

Totally not what I was expecting, in a good way. I have one question to ask before I reserve my final judgement:

HILITE SPOILERZ:

Can you actually reach the end? Because if the thing goes on indefinitely it would be a great satire of the war. The news feed alone makes this so, but having that as an added touch would make it all the more biting.

Yes and no.

SPOIL0RZ!

When you get to the "end" you'll know, trust me. But its not necessarily the end of the war, or of the game.

If you're having trouble getting far without dying try and think more stealthily than you would in an average war game. You should have seen me during playtesting; further into the game I would feel myself physically tensing up, not wanting to die before reaching the "end".

Are you thinking of reviewing the game on your blog?

Very fun, nice first game Quicksand! Pleased to see the enemies get harder in later levels (jump etc). Grenades would be a nice touch for later levels imo. Can't wait to see updates / future games

Wait till you get the Nazooka (napalm bazooka) in the future. Its not a grenade launcher, but its just as fun.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:15:03 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Eraser
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

This is a nice game. Could really use some character animation.. but the concept and gameplay is all right. Haven't reached the end yet as I like charging into battle (I was surprised and happy to find knifing available)
TheDustin
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:19:28 PM »

I shot Costik an email about this game after playing it, and he'll most likely give a review of it. Since I'm some 19 year old kid I'm not sure I would do justice to writing about the subject matter, but if Greg doesn't pick up on it I'd be happy to give this thing some exposure.  Wink

I can't wait to see what else you guys have up your sleeves!  Beer!
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

Played it; gameplay-wise its great. But it really, really needs some animation. You'd be surprised how much that would add to it.

My games on  GameJolt.com

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »

Haha, this is strangely addicting. However, you should look into storing the songs as midis or something, to drastically reduce the game size Smiley Most I could kill was 14 soldiers, so it's pretty tough Evil

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »

We decided to stop being stubborn and add simple walking/jumping animations, in addition to a couple other fixes and options. We'll release a new version and patch soon.

However, you should look into storing the songs as midis or something, to drastically reduce the game size Smiley

We had a midi-only option for the older builds, but it wasn't really working out. In addition to sounding different on every computer, for some reason the performance took a gigantic hit every time it switched midis or they looped, even crashing the game for some people.

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »

Ah I see. Perhaps a song-less version for those on lower internet speeds? It might deter some to download a game that's 42 Mb. Then again, not many people are on very slow internet these days Smiley

Eraser
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »

Pst, bug: http://imgur.com/OrN7f.jpg . After beating the first section, dieing, and restarting with the second section. I think I got hit by the big bomb? That'd be hilarious. Either way, I could never find out as this popped up.
TheDustin
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »

Ah I see. Perhaps a song-less version for those on lower internet speeds? It might deter some to download a game that's 42 Mb. Then again, not many people are on very slow internet these days Smiley

It took well over thirty minutes to download on my rural Alaska connection.  Cry
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »

Pst, bug: http://imgur.com/OrN7f.jpg . After beating the first section, dieing, and restarting with the second section. I think I got hit by the big bomb? That'd be hilarious. Either way, I could never find out as this popped up.

Congrats on getting to the second section. Too bad about the error. I fixed it today, so it should work fine in the next update. That'll be a much faster download (since you'll just have to get the new game file) and your save will still work. Thanks for the bug report.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »

Version 1.01 has been released!

The big change is we finally added simple walking and jumping animations.

If you already have version 1.0 you can just download the patch here. Otherwise see the first post for the updated download link.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:45:59 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

I've been playing WWY, and I'm having lots of fun!

One thing I would appreciate is a "pacifist" route or something, in which you don't kill any enemies. That may already be in (I haven't reached the ending yet), but there are still small discrepancies here and there, like "Hero kills 0 Enemies!"
Kepa
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »

I like this game!

Is there a third game if you beat the second playthrough?
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

I've been playing WWY, and I'm having lots of fun!

One thing I would appreciate is a "pacifist" route or something, in which you don't kill any enemies. That may already be in (I haven't reached the ending yet), but there are still small discrepancies here and there, like "Hero kills 0 Enemies!"

I'm glad you like it.

Someone had a similiar idea in the Feedback thread, they called it "conscientious objector" mode  Grin.

Is it actually possible to play that way? I haven't tried it myself but I imagine you wouldn't survive very long, especially since armor only spawns near enemies.

If we do another update I will try and add this mode as a setting.

Is there a third game if you beat the second playthrough?

SPOILERS:

Nope, the second stage is less about progression and more about seeing how long you can survive.

You've effectively beaten the game. Congratulations. Now try and find the secret codes...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:02:16 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic