Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:43:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version  (Read 63432 times)
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 06:48:41 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

You should update your first post to reflect your newer stuff with houses and people.  This reminds me heavily of Heroes of Might and Magic, so it's obviously perfect.

-PENCERKOFF

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »

This reminds me heavily of Heroes of Might and Magic

I wasn't familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic, but after you made the comparison I went off to check out some screenshots.  Shocked Gosh yes. That's pretty much what this thread would look like if I was better at this stuff. You've inspired me to add a few more buildings (see latest edit of OP).

The waterfalls are coming, I promise.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

That's fantastic.  3DO would be proud.  Maybe you should make some stone walls that could be used in junction with those towers for do-it-yourself castles.

-PENCERKOFF

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

That's fantastic.  3DO would be proud.  Maybe you should make some stone walls that could be used in junction with those towers for do-it-yourself castles.

Thanks!  Grin Yeah, I did that wizard's tower-type thing after looking at some HoM&M screenshots. I'll go back and see what else I can rip off inspires me. The castle construction kit idea is a good one. The trouble with this kind of thing is that there's so many different directions I could take it, and they're all pretty labour-intensive...

Oh, finally got round to animating the waterfalls (see OP).

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »

After you're finishing up the town exteriors, could you work on the interiors? There doesn't seem to be a lot of interior tilesets in this competition.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 04:23:16 AM »

That's some purrdy tiles!
The beaches look really inviting!

I approve of this compo

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 07:22:07 AM »

Oh, finally got round to animating the waterfalls (see OP).
Huzzah!  You're a hero!
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »

update: Main tileset now has roads and bridges! Huzzah!

I've also added some spooky-looking cave entrances, based on the cliff tiles. I thought about doing caves from all four directions, for the sake of completeness, but figured it wouldn't look all that good and would be annoying, gameplay-wise.

Now I've done cave entrances I really ought to do a separate tileset for the cave interiors.
I'm also tempted by Pencerkoff's idea for a sort of castle construction kit, and Healy's request for town interiors.

Note to self: time to play Link to the Past again.  Wink

Ipsquiggle
Level 0

The Fernicious Freep.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »

A "Forested" set of tiles would be good as well -- rather than individual trees (objects), a set of ground tiles that resemble a dense forest area. Good for boundaries and things.

(though I'd say hit the caves/town sets first, as this is already quite slick and 'complete', and alternate locations would add a lot)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

Oh snap--this is really, really good! If you finish this up with interiors, there's a really excellent chance that I'll use this tileset. Smiley

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »

@  Ipsquiggle - yeah, I had thought of some impassable forest tiles. Impassable mountainous/rockey terrain might be cool, too.

@ Craig - thanks! Your praise means a lot, coming as it does from someone who's worked a lot with top-down fantasy tilesets.

Anyway, latest update is caves and some random items. Oh yeah, and I upped the number of cave entrances on the overworld tileset; gives you more options about linking under- and over-ground maps.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »

Beautiful stuff! I meant to post before the caves but now it's even better (and feeling more complete)
Do you think you'll produce some portraits and characters? I think you said you'd prefer to concentrate on tiles, but I really like the style of the portraits especially.

Also I like the stone circle/thatched cottages combination... feels rather local! Smiley

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »

Also I like the stone circle/thatched cottages combination... feels rather local! Smiley

Arrrr yes, I see you hail from the West Country.   Beer! Yeah, my dad lives right down the end of Cornwall, which was a bit of an influence. Although they don't have many trees down there. Just big rocks.

As I think I said in an earlier post, I started off aiming for a generic fantasy setting, but it ended up looking like rural England. There's no reason why one couldn't use these tilesets for a game set in the contemporary, real world - I was thinking of adding stuff like tractors, silage tanks, bus stops etc.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »

:cider: Beer!

The contemporary stuff sounds great... I'm trying to think of some game that involves hanging around busstops drinking cider and driving past stone circles in a tractor Smiley

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »

New stuff:

In other news, I had the opportunity to visit Windsor Castle today. It was insane. For starters, I had no idea it was so big, and it was absolutely full of old weapons and armour and weird gold stuff, and hundreds of military guys in bizarre untiforms doing incomprehensible things. I've been saying for a while that I'll bow to popular demand and do some interior scenery, and now I think I have the inspiration I need.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 02:16:59 PM »

Wow! These are all great. I'm sure they'll get a lot of use in part two. Gentleman

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »

Wow! These are all great. I'm sure they'll get a lot of use in part two. Gentleman

Thanks! I'm trying really hard to resist ripping off your lofi roguelike stuff.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 02:42:41 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Actually, I enjoy doing the portraits rather more than the sprites:

And they are amazing.  I don't think anybody would complain if you had more of those filling up your first post.

I don't know if you take requests but I got this fat guy animated who could really use a nice portrait.  Just a thought.

-PENCERKOFF

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »

I don't know if you take requests but I got this fat guy animated who could really use a nice portrait.

Hell yeah!

See, your Mighty Morphin' Fatman game isn't even real yet, and already it's generating fan-art.

Feel free to post this on your threat if you want.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Hell yeah!

Holy Crap he's BEAUTIFUL

-PENCERKOFF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print