Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:06:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBest Freeware Games of '07 -30 Categories!- I'm not dead!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Best Freeware Games of '07 -30 Categories!- I'm not dead!  (Read 418726 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »

I also think Democracy 2 came out last year, not this year: http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2007/12/democracy_2.html -- the very end of last year, but technically 2007.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »

Ooh yeah, those are all great suggestions!  And World of Goo should be added to the db post-haste.  I can't believe I forgot that.

I also realized that it's supposed to be a list of freeware. Tongue

I'm going to edit my list a bit.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

I also forgot that (about the freeware quality).

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »

Although perhaps we should create a separate list for shareware indie games?

Another thing: should freeware games that make a lot of money through advertisement still be considered spiritually freeware? E.g. desktop tower defense is rumored to have made over $200,000 in advertisements, but it's free to play since it's Flash, so some freeware (typically Flash freeware) has an advantage over other freeware games in that they're very well-funded. Most Flash games are made for money and many make way more than shareware games do.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

I define freeware as "free-to-play," personally.

A separate shareware list wouldn't hurt.  Either way, it's kind of a nice exercise to recap what came out this year. Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »

I didn't mean we should change the definition, and they're still free, although but requiring you to sit through ads is also a form of payment, even if it's not a monetary payment. But I see your point.

Anyway, so, we could do 2 lists, collect a bunch of nominations for each, and then have a poll? And maybe a gold panda/silver monocle/copper sword awards or something? :D

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

Haha, yeah, that sounds pretty good to me! Beer!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »

add jumper 3 and flail to platformers

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2008, 04:41:48 PM »

Braid definitely should be nominated for art and writing.

Iji isn't really a platformer, it falls into the more obscure category of Run 'n Gun.

Castle Crashers also might deserve a space, although "brawler" isn't a category Tongue

I wouldn't put You Have to Burn the Rope in best innovation. It would belong more in Best Audio, since that song at the end was the best part.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »

Braid definitely should be nominated for art and writing.

Iji isn't really a platformer, it falls into the more obscure category of Run 'n Gun.

Castle Crashers also might deserve a space, although "brawler" isn't a category Tongue

I wouldn't put You Have to Burn the Rope in best innovation. It would belong more in Best Audio, since that song at the end was the best part.

Freeware games, dude
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »

Why are we including World of Goo, then? Whatever.

How about a Best Spoof, then? We just had a demakes competition, I figure at least one of the entries should get a place.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »

I assumed we weren't when we realized the list was freeware
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »

IWBTG 1.0 came out this year. Probably takes the first place in "most challenging".
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »

Bakley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden should be in best humor games.

Megaman Roguelike is one of the best roguelikes this year, and Fatherhood seems good to but I haven't played it enough.

TTT
Level 0

I love you-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »

I disagree. Formally, it's a platformer - run'n'guns always have strictly linear progression through the stages afaik, Iji seems to be inspired by some platformers but no run'n'guns, Iji is not even an arcade game. But it probably does fall into the obscure category of cinematic platformer. Smiley
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »

Was Everyone Loves Active 2 made in 2008? If so, I'd say that belongs in the Best Shoot 'em Up category.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

Here are some suggestions to include:

Best Browser Game: Maverick, Puzzle Farter, Intrusion, Dirk Valentine and the Fortress of Steam

Best Platformer: Treasure Hunter Man,

Best Shmup: Armed Generator Doom Machine, Alien Assault, Pasta Master

Best Puzzle: Abandoned, FIG

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »

Maybe you guys should include this years compo winners to the list, at least as runner ups in their respective categories.

Especially stuff like Gang Garrison 2 and Soundless Mountain 2 seemed to have gained quite a bit of outside reputation.

In fact, maybe just a general link to the competitions in the list. Seeing that the 2007 list is the most viewed thread on TIGSource (by far) mentioning the compo games (which were all good) would give them the attention they deserve.

Just my two cent though :D
PaleFox
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »

Best Roguelike: Legerdemain, Mage Guild...

I don't know any more that have come out this year, but those two are recent and quite good. And yes, there needs to be a category for this, they're different from other games at least in people's perceptions.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »

I'm not dead everyone! I hope you all forgive me for the year-long absence! I will try to keep it up this year! It'd be nice for some catching up... high schools a bitch! It's been keeping me busy!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic