Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1Some overelaborate music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some overelaborate music  (Read 3939 times)
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »

I have no other use for these so I thought I'd submit them to Assemblee. I've been writing some tracks over the last few days and I definately will be writing more for this.

Horror
Some kind of stereotypical horror ambience thing which might do well in an area like a boss's castle or something. (I think I may have rushed this one a little - the velocity levels could probably do with a little tweaking, but that's it.)

Nice
I need to think of a better name for this... Exactly what it says on the tin. A kind of... well, nice, background film score-esque piece which might do well in a more friendly area in a game.

Subtransit
I thought I'd do a bit of an electronic/techno-style action piece, here. Very simple and it sounds mildly like something from Half-Life. I looped this one to make it easier to use.

Bian Heh's Jade
Chinese/Korean-inspired song named after a traditional Chinese folk story. features even more strings, three consecutive instrumental solos and some odd synths to compensate for my lack of Chinese instruments.

I'll update this post each time I update one of the tracks or add a new one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:40:49 AM by Take One » Logged
JorgeBoscan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:02 AM »

Hey, the horror track was really good, it has the tense and chaotic mood of every villain. The nice track was nice  Tongue but i would turn the... "crystal-celesta-thingy" instrument volume down a bit, so it sound more tender, and vary the velocities because it sounds too inhumanly perfect. Good Job over all. Beer!

Harmony, is essencial.
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »

Hey, the horror track was really good, it has the tense and chaotic mood of every villain. The nice track was nice  Tongue but i would turn the... "crystal-celesta-thingy" instrument volume down a bit, so it sound more tender, and vary the velocities because it sounds too inhumanly perfect. Good Job over all. Beer!
Thank you, and you definately know what you're saying. The velocity variation is something I've always had to work on. I guess it's my OCD making me use the default velocity for every note. <..< Anyway, I'll fix up Nice, then I have a jazzy track coming up in a bit.
JorgeBoscan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:32:44 AM »

Thank you, and you definately know what you're saying. The velocity variation is something I've always had to work on. I guess it's my OCD making me use the default velocity for every note. <..< Anyway, I'll fix up Nice, then I have a jazzy track coming up in a bit.

Yeah, fixing velocities after making the song is the boring part. Though, if you play keyboard you could just record in midi, quantize and job done. I also tend to work on velocities when I'm extremely bored, and open up Sonar's Piano Roll, and just draw the velocities lines, play and repeat.

Harmony, is essencial.
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »

Yeah, fixing velocities after making the song is the boring part. Though, if you play keyboard you could just record in midi, quantize and job done. I also tend to work on velocities when I'm extremely bored, and open up Sonar's Piano Roll, and just draw the velocities lines, play and repeat.

That's a good idea, actually. I'd rather record with my keyboard, which I do for things like piano lines anyway, but I should probably get a new one - I have a Yamaha PSR-640, which is extremely old, so the touch sensitivity is awful, meaning that there's usually no velocity variation anyway.

Right, I've updated Nice a bit, and I can't quite get the jazzy thing to sound right at the moment, so here's an actiony thing:

Subtransit
This one's actually looped.
JorgeBoscan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »

That's a good idea, actually. I'd rather record with my keyboard, which I do for things like piano lines anyway, but I should probably get a new one - I have a Yamaha PSR-640, which is extremely old, so the touch sensitivity is awful, meaning that there's usually no velocity variation anyway.

Right, I've updated Nice a bit, and I can't quite get the jazzy thing to sound right at the moment, so here's an actiony thing:

Subtransit
This one's actually looped.

That's much better, now it sound warmer, more relaxing, more "nice" Tongue.
Subtransit is great, it sounds like the fighting track from Matrix 2. Though I would suggest adding more melodic parts, like when the orchestra enters; but maybe you wanted it to sound more percussive than melodic. Just my 2 cents.

Harmony, is essencial.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »

That's nice stuff right there. Subtransit is very inspiring. The glass celeste thing in Nice has a little too much high frequencies IMHO.

(You may want to correct the link to the Nice track in your first post (it links to Subtransit -- the updated Nice link works tho).)

Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »

(You may want to correct the link to the Nice track in your first post (it links to Subtransit -- the updated Nice link works tho).)

Oh, poop, I thought I did something weird, there. Thanks for the heads up. It should be fixed, now.
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »

>..< It's been over and month and it's taken this long for me to submit anything. Better late than never, I suppose.

So, on to LAST MINUTE SUBMISSIONS.

Bian Heh's Jade
Named after a traditional Chinese folk story. This was inspired a little by the Korean MMORPG, Perfect World, with my own jazzed-up influences. Yeah... Korea and China aren't exactly the same thing, but you get what I'm getting at, here. It was sounding a bit dull so I added some Alexander Brandon-esque melodies into it, and ended up with a song with three consecutive solos. Still, I think it ended up sounding quite nice. I'll fix up a looped version in a while.

About a month ago, I said I was getting a jazzy one down... and I never did. I might be able to get that one wrapped up in time, but it looks doubtful, now. Still, four music submissions isn't that bad, I think.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic