Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:19:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1feeblethemighty's chiptunes, uketunes, and more [FINAL]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: feeblethemighty's chiptunes, uketunes, and more [FINAL]  (Read 16499 times)
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »

Hiya!  I apologize, but i had to move all the samples and music that i had made for this competition.  Visit the music/sound section of my website at feeblethemighty.com for the files i had uploaded here!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:08:04 AM by feeblethemighty » Logged

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:50:20 PM »

Wow, I never thought ukuleles could sound so pretty. The chip-bass seems a little overpowering, though. Keep up the good work!
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »

Nice little ditty. If, as the previous reply suggests, you decide to handle the overpowering sound underneath the uke, I might suggest finding a thinner percussion instrumentation. The bass could just be turned down slighty, if anything. Just my taste, but that's what I would do. Definitely glad to hear tune! Keep it up.

Makin' games.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

Thanks for the input!  I agree that the bass is overpowering.  I will try my best to adjust it and upload a new one later.

But for now, i made a new moody, atmospheric tune this afternoon called Precarious Precipitation.  I plan on making some much more upbeat tunes later.  Fret not.

nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »

Man I love ukulele. The world needs more ukulele music! Especially in games.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

Actually, i do have a ukulele which i like to rock out on, but right now i've been messing around with my Guitalele which is a 6-string ukulele and is much better suited to slower contemplative songs.

I'm having too much fun with this.  I should be doing other things, but i already came up with another tune.  This one's called Flint's Theme.  It kinda reminded me of meeting a new character in an RPG or something.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:00:04 PM »

The intro sounds a little out of tune, but then I don't know much about instruments.  Shrug Sounds like a great tune to set to getting lost in a strange place.
pgil
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »

Calm Retaliation is great Beer! . It's like.. chip-folk. The others are cool too.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »

Calm Retaliation is great Beer! . It's like.. chip-folk. The others are cool too.
Thanks!  Yeah, i've always liked mixing electronic and acoustic music.

Wow, I never thought ukuleles could sound so pretty. The chip-bass seems a little overpowering, though. Keep up the good work!
I've reworked Calm Retaliation so the bass isn't so loud in the mix. 

Also, i added a sound effect, Typing Dialogue, that sounds annoying by itself, but i found if you mute it and have it looping constantly in the background and unmute it only when dialogue is typing out in your game, it sounds pretty good.

smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

Hey, I've been following. The revised Calm Retaliation is much cleaner. It's sort of minimalist sound, but has a great vibe to it now that stands out. Well done.

Makin' games.
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »

I like Precarious Precipitation. A lot. It seems like it would be the perfect title music for a 'serious' game. Tongue
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »

I like Precarious Precipitation. A lot. It seems like it would be the perfect title music for a 'serious' game. Tongue
Thanks.  I'm hoping to get a good range of different styles and sounds during this competition, serious all the way to ridiculous.

Just made another tune today: Sunny Underwater Nightmare.  It's purely chiptune right now, with a sleepy beat and a constant drone in the background.  I was thinking of maybe adding some ukulele arpeggios in too if it was too minimal of a song.  Check it out.

Ipsquiggle
Level 0

The Fernicious Freep.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

I like underwater nightmare quite a bit, it's pretty inspiring.  However, it gets under my skin just a little bit in the part where the high-pitched pinging is playing on beat with the main synth: They hit every note at the exact same time through the entire stanza. If just one or two notes were off from each other, or the high-pitched ping had a couple extra notes that weren't matched by the main synth, I think it would add quite a lot.

Basically, the high pinging feels a bit like the hero of that segment, but it's 'trapped' by the main synth. It wants to break free and be it's own melody! Does that make sense?
takvor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

You, sir, have inspired me to break out my uke.

No good can come of this.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »

Basically, the high pinging feels a bit like the hero of that segment, but it's 'trapped' by the main synth. It wants to break free and be it's own melody! Does that make sense?
Yeah, after listening to it again, i see what you mean.  I'll see if i can tweak it.  Thanks for the advice!   Smiley

Another chiptune type song: Thick Cut Fries.  This one has SID chip beats and a rather playful melody.  I think for my next entries, i'm going to use mostly my uke to make a Runman inspired soundtrack.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »

Took Melly's idea on the request thread and sat down with SFXR and compiled 150 WAV files into one tasty 5MB ZIP file morsel.  It has multiple sound effects for categories such as jump, shoot, select, thump, explosion, and epic explosion.

Get it here: SFXR Sound Pack.

FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »

Really like the tracks, love the use of voice :D

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

Made a whole bunch of goofy vocal stuff that has more to do with in-game events.  Individually recorded numbers like "One", "Two", "Ten", "Thousand" so you can mash them together.

Also, there is stuff like "Game Over", "Round" (then mash with the "One" sample, for example), "Excellent", etc.

Listen to an MP3 sampler of the pack here: SAMPLER
Get the whole pack here: VOCAL NARRATOR SFX PACK

Xelius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »

Very cool stuff.  I like it a lot Smiley

--xelius
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »

Very cool stuff.  I like it a lot Smiley
Thanks!

Okay, one last update for today.

I thought it would be neat to have the narrator voice sound like low sample rate NES voice for those old-school fetishists.  So, i took the same narrator sample pack and gave it some crackly colour.  I don't have time to make a sampler right now, but you can download it here: Lo-Fi Narrator Pack.

Also, i made a short little uke song: Under the Overworld

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic