Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSupa' Hard Games (AKA: The Thread of Nearly Masochistic Games)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Supa' Hard Games (AKA: The Thread of Nearly Masochistic Games)  (Read 11262 times)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »

Post all of your super difficult indie games here!
If it regularly makes you scream in frustration, then it belongs here! If it makes you want to smash your computer, it belongs here! If it makes you- well, you get the idea.

List:
Have Not Played Yet:

Here are the "reviews". Each game will get two ratings, one is for how difficult the game is, the other is for how mind numbingly aggravating it is; both scores are out of a possible 5.
REMEMBER: Even a 1 on this list is difficult, or it wouldn't be on this list!
While the two values are linked, they definitely aren't the same thing. If you have a suggestion for a rating, please post it! The ratings don't have to be set in stone.

Reviews:
Poyo:
Difficulty -2- Aggravation -2-
A platformer with a small twist, Warping, which basically lets you move with a quick jump in any direction. While this doesn't sound like much, it changes the game quite a bit and makes it very unique. Poyo starts off fairly easy, but later on the difficult steeps upwards, as it begins to require pixel perfect Warping skills.

Multihero:
Difficulty -1- Aggravation -4-
A platformer/fighter with multiple characters from various random video games. This game has a very cool premise, similar to Super Smash Brothers, only with non-Nintendo characters. Unfortunately, the only reason I think this game is very difficult at all is because the controls are so craptastic.

Rover Race:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -5-
From the TIGSource B-Games Competition, Rover Race is a game in which you control a  Mars Rover, and try to get to the end of obstacle filled levels. The twist (and what makes this game difficult) is that every action has a delay between you pressing the button and the rover responding.

Bonesaw:
Difficulty -3.5- Aggravation -2-
A fast paced platformer; in this one, you play as a hockey player on a quest to defeat an evil referee. The main levels are not too difficult, but each level has 3 golden pucks hidden inside of it, and these can be extremely hard to get to. Enough golden pucks and you can enter the challenge levels, which are even harder to beat and have their own golden pucks to find.

Clean Asia!:
Difficulty -2/4- Aggravation -1-
A fun shmup, and a finalist in the Excellence in Visual Art category of IGF. It has two ships to play as, and they both completely change the way you play the game. The easier ship to play as plays like a normal shmup, and it isn't too hard to win with. The other ship plays much differently (and is quite a bit more difficult to win with); you use the ship itself as a weapon, and collect pieces of your destroyed enemies to throw right back at them.

La-Mulana:
Difficulty -5- Aggravation -3-
An exploration type platformer, in which you play as an Indiana Jones type character (complete with fedora and whip) exploring temple ruins. What really makes this game hard isn't the platforming so much as the puzzles and exploration found in the ruins.

Syobon:
Difficulty -5- Aggravation -5-
What we have here is another game designed to make people cry. It can hurt you inside.

An Untitled Story:
Difficulty -3- Aggravation -1-
Another platformer, with a dashing of RPG. In this one, you're an egg, and you collect various items that let you do different moves, such as double jumping; the play style seems similar to Knytt, in so far as collecting new moves goes.

Tekkyuuman:
Difficulty -2- Aggravation -3-
This is another Ikiki platformer, and it's one of the easier ones. You play as a dude with a flail, jumping and smashing you're way through the levels. Starting all the way over after losing your lives is aggravating, but I might just be spoiled from the other games' instant respawns. Very awesome game, all around.

Jumper:
Difficulty -4.5- Aggravation -2-
A platformer, in this one you.. jump. It's very tough, requiring nearly perfect movements for some of the areas, but it's still beatable.. barely. Fast respawns keep the aggravation level down.

Cave Story (Hard Mode):
Difficulty -3- Aggravation -2-
Cave Story, now who in here hasn't heard of this one? Hard mode isn't actually something you choose at the start, it's a different path you can take in the middle of the game. It greatly changes the game, especially near to the end, adding a level aptly named Hell.

Platypus:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -2-
A claymation shmup, this one's difficulty spikes up pretty high later on, mainly due to the fact that your ship and all of the enemies are huge, thus easily collided. This game has some very awesome ships; the clay gives it a very unique look.

Satan's Hell Fortress:
In this platformer, you attempt to jump your way through a fortress filled with deadly spikes, molten lava, and other traps. It's extremely difficult, and maybe it's just me; the death animations make this a very aggravating game sometimes. But.. it's not actually finished, so we'll see.

I Wanna Be the Guy:
Yes, it's another platformer. This game is like The Big Adventure of Owatas Life, only with prettier graphics. In other words, when you play it, it goes something like this: First comes the laughter, when the first wacky trap kills you. After the 40th time being killed by the same trap, comes the anger. Then come the tears.

Sexy Hiking:
A platformer, where you use a rock climbing pick to climb up cliffs and smack the ground to jump to great heights. While the first level isn't too difficult, it gets crazy later on. The wonky controls help this to be a very aggravating game.

The Big Adventure of Owatas Life:
This platformer is pure hatred, condensed into a Japanese browser game. Pure, unadulterated hatred.

Banana Nababa:
Difficulty -3- Aggravation -2-
It's.. a platformer! In this one, every level is a boss with various forms that you must defeat with your unlimited supply of axes and arrow things.

Eternal Daughter:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -3-
Another platformer, this one has beautiful artwork, and a very high level of difficulty. Similar to Castlevania.

Nikujin:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -3-
An extremely difficult, yet also very fun platformer in which you play a ninja.

Flywrench:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -1-
Abstract, that's about all that can be said about this one. Like on the linked to page says, it's very hard, but the instant restarting of levels when you die offsets the frustration.

Paroxysm:
Difficulty -1- Aggravation -1-
A platformer in which you attempt to avoid a series of traps in a large dungeon. Large quantities of lives make this an easier game.

Punishment:
A platformer that can best be described by it's title. Seriously, people, this game will chew you up and spit you out on the first few areas.

Punishment: The Punishing:
Difficulty -2- Aggravation -3-
This one isn't nearly as difficult as it's predecessor, but it's still up there. After every level, you must go back and replay each previous level once more, yet the aggravation is kept down by the fact that you instantly respawn after dying.

TAGAP:
Difficulty -2- Aggravation -1-
Another platformer. You're a penguin, with a gun, slaughtering other penguins. Not very hard, but that's compared to the other games on this list.

N:
Difficulty -4- Aggravation -2-
Another ninja platformer. Starts off easy, but the difficulty quickly spikes later on. Aggravation is staved off by the hilarious deaths.

Ninjah:
Difficulty -1- Aggravation -1-
Yes. Another ninja platformer, what can I say. This one has you swinging through the levels, only touching certain colored bricks at certain times. A slow respawn ups the aggravation slightly.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:03:54 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »

La-Mulana. Cry
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »

Lazrael's latest:

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:51:05 PM »

That Lazrael game looks vicious (and amazing!).

I nominated MedO's Rover Race: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=512.0

Cool thread! Smiley
Genisi
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »

I nominate "I wanna be The Guy!".

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

To say that this game is obvious or even fair would be the greatest lie ever created. Controlling The Kid on his quest to become The Guy is the greatest game of 8-bit masochism ever.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:34:35 PM »

Meril! Awesome game, but as it goes on it's almost impossible.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

GISH!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »

What? Gish wasn't that hard...

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »

What? Gish wasn't that hard...

Then I must be really bad at it...

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Genisi
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »

Bah, the site must be down, so here is a temporary mirror from me:
Here.

According to the site, its currently in a beta state, so there may be bugs and a crash experienced.
Controls:
Z: Shoot
Shift: Jump

There is two versions of the game. One has frame-skipping, and this one doesn't.
PowRTocH
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:34 PM »

Objection!!

Legend of Shadow is actually pretty easy. The rest I basically agree with. Nice topic, I'll be checking this one out quite a bit. Cool
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »

Paroxysm was easy for me.

I demand that you add Platypus.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 11:14:08 PM »

Paroxysm was easy for me.

I demand that you add Platypus.
Platypus? The claymation shooter? I thought that was pretty easy, if that's what you're talking about.. Can a few more people who've played this comment on it?
Paroxysm was pretty easy, but mostly because of how many lives it gives you in the easier modes.

Objection!!

Legend of Shadow is actually pretty easy. The rest I basically agree with. Nice topic, I'll be checking this one out quite a bit. Cool

Thanks!
I haven't actually gotten to Legend of Shadow yet, so I'll leave it up for a little longer.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:19:06 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »

Eternal Daughter >_>;;

Still can't beat that frog boss at the beginning of the game, even with the back-dash jump thingy.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »

Bah, the site must be down, so here is a temporary mirror from me:
Here.

According to the site, its currently in a beta state, so there may be bugs and a crash experienced.
Controls:
Z: Shoot
Shift: Jump

There is two versions of the game. One has frame-skipping, and this one doesn't.

This one doesn't seem to work either..  Undecided

Meril! Awesome game, but as it goes on it's almost impossible.

The link to the actual game in the TIG Article doesn't work.  Sad

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 12:43:05 AM »

I actually beat Punishment 2 (just then) and the only punishing level was the last one... I'm not very good at masochistic games as I tend to give up very fast, but I actually beat it. It was very good in the way that instant respawns mean I can keep playing quickly. if it took half a second longer after dying I would have given up on it.

Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »

Sexy Hiking
Genisi
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »

This one doesn't seem to work either..  Undecided
The upload is fixed now.
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »

Platypus? The claymation shooter? I thought that was pretty easy, if that's what you're talking about.. Can a few more people who've played this comment on it?

Well, the first level's easy - but the second level's about twice as hard, the third level is practically impossible, and I've never passed Area 2 of the fourth.  This is mainly due to everything having a huge hitbox.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 02:42:23 AM »

Helix Games' Jumper games are pretty challenging platformers. Sure the game autosaves at the beginning of each room, gives you infinite lives, and autoloads upon death, but you'll understand why it uses those features after you start to die 10-20 times before completing a room.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic