Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:08:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Public Build One
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Public Build One  (Read 69775 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2007, 09:02:17 PM »

Current build/development stage: Milestone Two Build.

BALDING'S QUEST: The Quest of Guy Balding
P U B L I C   B U I L D   O N E

Here it is, folks.  The moment you've all been waiting for.

The first public build... of Guy Balding.

Note:  This is the Milestone One build.

That is, it basically boils down to a movement test.  No "gameplay" or anything like that.  But hopefully you can still enjoy it.  Wink

Download here.  (Or don't, if you don't want to spoil the magic of game development.)

I have a lot more to say, but I'm too tired to say it...

Just read the readme first, OK?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:38:32 AM by BMcC » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »

Oh right!  This build features a Boot Camp obstacle course Arne sent me last night (the default level), as well as the very same Test Frame I used while developing the engine.

You can switch between them with...  Wait, I don't need to tell you.  You read the readme!

And in my opinion, this game is meant to be played in Fullscreen.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:55:38 PM by BMcC » Logged

TS John
Level 0

"I put on my robe and wizard hat."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »

w00t!  First (real) response!

This game will be greatness.  I don't play games much anymore for some reason but this already makes me want to change that.  God bless the world of independent games.

Nice graphical style and very fluid animation integration.  I also appreciate the old-school stylings of the music -- can't wait for the OCR.

I like the pacing since it's not too ponderous nor too hyperactive.  It works well with the single screen layout, encouraging the player to plan his moves.  Can't wait until I'll actually have to be dodging enemies and collecting floating things.  Possibly with some goal in mind, even.

Keep up the great work, everyone.  Let this be the start of many such collaborative projects among users of the TIGSource forum.
Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »

This is super hot.  It's really cool just to be able to move the little guy around -- the way he controls is just ...  Kiss

Thoughts:
* There's something a bit odd about the jump animation -- that stray blue pixel on the other side of his forward-most hand is ... odd?

* I love the little sweat particle when he pulls himself up, but maybe they should be a little more subtle, or they should be added to a few more animations?  Right now they're cool but just a little jarring.

* Oh, and we should add some fun idle animations.  (I suppose there might already be some hiding in there -- I didn't sit around waiting *that* long ...)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:36:13 PM »

ALREADY WITH THE COMPLAINTS  :D

There are idle animations, yeah!  Check em out.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »

Whee! Looking good guys. So squashy and deformable; he is more ball of snot than man. I like this.

It really demonstrates the benefits of taking the trouble to make an avatar that responds well to his environment; next time I make a platformer I think I will make sure to build a system where the player character does absolutely everything you'd want him to be able to do. The hanging on ledges, the squeezing through gaps; it all adds up into a much more cohesive package than usual.

A little slow for my tastes though, perhaps. And I guess the real test will come when we see how well he copes with hazards as opposed to scuttling through narrow spaces. His slow movement and small jump might make him a bit of a sitting target.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:40:06 PM »

Hooray!
Kiss!
It's fun already just to run around and stuff. Took me a minute to make the 3 tile jump, but it was satisfying when I did. I really haven't got much more to say. It's just awesome.

Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

I know he blinks and breaths while idle, but I didn't see, for example, the fro animation.  I meant we should add more funny / strange stuff for him to do while idle ...
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:49:57 PM »

Very Coolsness!   Grin
That's all i can say.   Cool
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

I know he blinks and breaths while idle, but I didn't see, for example, the fro animation.  I meant we should add more funny / strange stuff for him to do while idle ...

I snuck some stuff in there...  Wink  Remember, this is just a movement test.  We'll have tons of goodies in the finished game.

I was think' the same thing about the sweat, btw... Just haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

Re:  Slowness --  I think you'll find him a great deal more nimble once you get familiar with the controls.  And I wouldn't worry about him being a sitting target or anything -- the game will be designed around his movement.  And it's easy to work around.  Without compromising enemy speed, a cool solution is having enemies prepare to harm you before they do, kinda like a fighting game.

So lasers charge up, rockets take time to accelerate, spikes shake before they fall, goblins wind up before swinging their axes, and so on.

Re:  All Feedback --  Thanks guys!  Keep it comin'.  The more detailed the better.

And let's start kicking butt with Milestone Two.  We'll post concrete goals soon, but I think the plan is for the 2nd public build to be various gameplay elements and interactive goodness.  But now is the time for brainstorming!

Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »

We'll have tons of goodies in the finished game.
Hooray Grin

Without compromising enemy speed, a cool solution is having enemies prepare to harm you before they do, kinda like a fighting game.

So lasers charge up, rockets take time to accelerate, spikes shake before they fall, goblins wind up before swinging their axes, and so on.
I really like that solution.  Make a note of that again when it comes time to animate the enemies!
MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 10:23:51 PM »

I'd like to feel how it controls where UP jumps and DOWN drops from ledges/ladders. I keep confusing myself over when I want to hit SPACE and when to hit UP, especially when jumping onto ladders.

Um, thinking about it, that wouldn't control well for gamepad users. Maybe enable custom controls?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »

Or any users...  How would you climb up the ladders?

I'm sure there will be custom controls later on.  But for now, just play it for a while and try to get used to it.  You'll be a pro in no time.  Wink

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »

Why when he grabs onto a ledge after jumping does he keep looking at the screen, but when he climbs down into a dangly position he...doesn't?

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »

Why when he grabs onto a ledge after jumping does he keep looking at the screen, but when he climbs down into a dangly position he...doesn't?

It's just starting at a different position in the animation loop.  To keep things varied.

Is that... OK?  Tongue

MattC
Level 0

TIGSourcerer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »

How would you climb up the ladders?
I meant in addition to the current uses of the buttons. This is RAW feedback you're getting here. Thinking things out would filter the EMOTION.

I like the very fluid animations of the character, but several times I saw Guy have part of his head behind a platform. If I'm remembering correctly, he's behind them for ledges? It just kinda looks funky when it happens though.

Otherwise: good for now!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »

How would you climb up the ladders?
I meant in addition to the current uses of the buttons. This is RAW feedback you're getting here. Thinking things out would filter the EMOTION.

Haha, of course.  Wink  Forget I said anything!

I like the very fluid animations of the character, but several times I saw Guy have part of his head behind a platform. If I'm remembering correctly, he's behind them for ledges? It just kinda looks funky when it happens though.

Yeah, he's behind the platforms for a variety of reasons (that I'm too tired to get in to).  Mostly it's for effects planned for later on, but also 'cause he needs the extra space and it'd look even weirder if he popped over the platforms.  (For example, that 3 tile jump from the log to the air duct would be much harder if he clipped the girder by even one pixel less, 'cause he'd hit his head a bit.)  It'll make more sense visually once things are fleshed out.

EDIT:  I need to get to sleep...  Keep the feedback comin'!  And get the ideas churning again in the Milestone Two thread.

Thanks everyone.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:57:12 PM by BMcC » Logged

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 11:06:59 PM »

lasers charge up, rockets take time to accelerate, spikes shake before they fall, goblins wind up before swinging their axes, and so on.
Jolly good. As it happens, I have followed the exact same philosophy with my own game - enemies telegraph all their attack moves by at least 1-2 seconds. It does indeed work very well, providing people are sharp enough to stay aware. And you can't say I didn't play fair if you're not.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »

No complaints, good sir. Lookin' sexy.

The only thing I didn't like was you can't get off of the ladder in the X direction, and you have to push the action key. Maybe add support for walking off the ladder in the left and right directions but leave the action key on there so you can do a quick vertical drop if need-be? Just a suggestion. Keep on keeping on.
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 11:43:23 PM »

Looking good so far! Smiley Movement is nice and smooth, though I feel that the transitions are a tad slow. Also, is the ceiling climb available? I wasn't able to find any places to try it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic