Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:40:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 (original & outdated)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 (original & outdated)  (Read 80246 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »

recorded a playthrough of the first kilometer on the potential mode

in rather average quality (only 20 fps, somewhat skipping on my slow pc)

being over 9 minutes, this is near longest that i can upload to a single youtube video, i'll have to cut my longer playthroughs or upload to rinku's privileged channel

yesss

Even if not monstrous, this is by far the best Probability 0 playthrough video I've ever seen :D

(Also I feel slightly uncomfortable with the fact that pzero speedrun is impossible; I'm not sure whether that's a good thing, or a bad one.)

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

You can speed run the amount of time it takes to get every powerup. Would need a lot of luck to get lots of easy to kill enemies, but it's possible.
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

I know that whenever I pop in here, I make egregious demands of you, D, for which I apologize. But would it be that difficult to either add a timer? Or, probably a simpler idea, add an option for modifying the scroll speed in the list of options?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »

mokesmoe: Very true. I guess that's sort of the price to pay in an endless game, too.

Chao, what do you mean by "add a timer"?

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »

...I realize now that depth pretty much functions as a timer up until 1k, when stuff might get funky.

A timer would just read off the time elapsed for a new game. I don't really see a point for it, but I was hoping that kicking around some of these ideas might shed some light on your speedrun considerations. First of which would be that aside from the "Get to 20" concept, a speedrun requires a timer.

Now whether or not the mechanics of the game lend itself to speedrunning are questionable. The implication would be that the descent would be sped up, somehow (a speed up button, or some other mechanism). Which probably makes it harder to die by falling off the bottom edge. It also makes it easier to die by getting trapped and scrolling to the top. Whether that's an okay tradeoff for you would also be questionable.

Incentives for scrolling faster, etc. There are some things to think about. I think it's possible. It would also be a fair deal if not a monster allotment of coding.
Parthon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »

One method would be to have the screen scroll faster when you get closer to the bottom. Of course then enemies would turn up faster as well, so it wouldn't make it easier. The challenge is still to kill enough enemies to get the exp bubbles.

Now you could even have it so that the screen scrolls faster than the player, so they couldn't fall off the bottom anymore, in theory. Then you just make them go *splat* on the first solid obstacle if they fall too far so it wouldn't make it too easy.

Or, just have it scroll faster when the player is near the bottom, but not so fast that it protects them from falling out of the screen.

P0 doesn't lend itself well to speed runs because of the fixed rate, but I think that's one of the things I love about the game.
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »

I just think that the game, the minimalist wonder that it is, is open to being interpreted by a great number of rulesets.

At the same time, the game is a wonderful minimalist masterpiece that doesn't need manipulation.

So we can whip good ol' Droq until he provides more gametypes, or sit pretty and keep on pouring hours of gameplay into this gem of a game.

I'm torn.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »

I won't be providing a lot more for Probability 0, I'm afraid. (Unless I find a big new idea to use and add.)

A sequel with more stuff and different stuff... is going to be made. It's a guarantee.

Sit pretty and get better at pzero; its incarnation to follow will still benefit from your skill.

Parthon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

Awesome, can't wait.

Also: where did your totally spiffy signature go?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »

...I don't think you're going to find a video recording program that doesn't require an installation.

http://www.screentoaster.com/ try that, i didn't try it yet  Undecided

ortoslon
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »

lest i forget those ideas:

make stars++ remove star cap instead of giving infinite stars
give punch+ range and animation of current superpunch
make superpunch a charge attack (hold button for more range, when you release it you thrust in the direction you're facing killing everything on your path)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »

haHAHAhahahgdfhfghhahahaHAHahaha!

I've now gotten them all, all those upgrades in one game! I'm free!!!  Tears of Joy

I AM FREE!
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »

You mean you don't feel compelled to continue helping The Character survive?

His probability of making it through is so low...
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:39 AM »

You mean you don't feel compelled to continue helping The Character survive?

His probability of making it through is so low...
I think he should help himself survive, I can only do so much (more than 45k points = too goddamn much!)  Tongue

I AM FREE!
capnmikey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »

Oh man, I played this like a month ago but didn't post anything!  Just wanted to say this game is ridiculous-awesome, and I thought it was very polished.  I played for like 5 straight hours or something crazy when I grabbed it O_O

I don't know how to give good feedback, so I'll just list several things I liked.

- The tall, skinny window and vertical menu were unique and worked really well with the vertical descent.
- Awesome variety in the enemies.  You can differentiate at a glance, and the health & behaviour differences really demand different strategies for dealing them.
- Powerups are wickedly balanced!  There's no obvious "best" path, and I'd often have trouble deciding what to get.
- Music!  Man, the music is really good, and so tense when you're about to die or fighting a boss.  More games need dynamic music!
- The movement of Talent/Potential choosey screen was rather satisfying (the title, icon, and text sort of move independently?), and the copy was well written.
- Great style touches in the "health meter" and ever-changing depth units.

There were a few things I wasn't sure about, but ultimately ended up liking because of the situations they created.

First, the "probability" health indicator.  I'm a bit of an info freak, so at first it bugged me that I couldn't tell exactly how much health I had.  But it soon became clear when I would probably die, leading to some exciting tension - usually a choice between a fall that looked barely too high, and tricky enemy/spikeblock route.

The lack of aerial melee (if you don't have Stomp) made it pretty hard if you ran out of stars early on, but it was fun how your strategy would change to hunting for an enemy you could punch to death easily (ball or heat-seeker mostly, though space kitties worked out a few times).

Lastly, getting sorta-trapped was annoying at first, but then I'd often find myself nervously hanging onto a skill point just in case I got trapped.  Sorta weighing the upgrade choices until I was in a position where I NEEDED one was a cool experience.

The only actual issue I had was the dreaded text-turning-to-dots bug Sad  Only happened when I played for a while without closing and reopening though, so I got in the habit of resetting every few rounds.

I talk a lot Smiley  Anyways, thanks for the great game, looking forward to the next one!
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »

- Music!  Man, the music is really good, and so tense when you're about to die or fighting a boss.  More games need dynamic music!
Thanks, and I agree, dynamic music can add so much to a game, and it doesn't really need to be that complicated. I think the main problems are that people don't know about it, and that people just don't know how to make it work. Luckily, Droqen was smart enough to make it work well Smiley

capnmikey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

Well kudos to you both on that one Beer!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »

Thanks a lot, capnmikey! Yes, I'll start this out by saying JMickle did a great job with everything I got from him :3 Combinations of sound worked well, and the sound effects are really nice (despite my initial rockiness on them).

Okay, on to the rest I guess:

Getting trapped: That should be somewhat more fixed in the latest version! Hanging onto a skill point just in case, though, sounds pretty interesting and I wonder if it pays off.

Probability health indicator: I think that one of the things I really like about it is it kind of shunts the player away from thinking about how many times he can die, and instead just thinks in terms of "I'm fine/I should probably avoid damage/I am about to die" and that kind of blends into "Try not to take damage".

Aerial melee: Yeah, running out of stars, especially in a star-heavy build, can get pretty tense and I like the situations you sometimes get stuck in -- you're left just momentarily helpless. Like a baby!

Anyway, I'm glad these fall under "ultimately ended up liking"!

Window: Yay :3 // Enemies: I think I kinda got lucky, ideas just kinda popped up and I scratched them together but I love the way they turned out! // Powerups: These I put way more thought into so I'm really glad they feel balanced :] I've realized that stars might be a bit overpowered come late game, but still I think there's a proper mix of things. Other abilities are still valuable! // Music: Again, yesss // Style: Haha I'm glad you like it; it was one of the first things I added and I don't regret a thing.

Yes, that bug has continued to elude me for the longest time :/

I do hope you look forward to the next one, it's coming (slowly!)

pen: Holy shit congratulations. You crazy bastard.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »

I don't mean to bump my own thread :s but I've found a new favourite set of tools:

• Star>
  • Star^
  • Stomp
  • Attract
  • Leap of Faith

There's nothing that comes at me that I can't handle! At least two possible attacks in every direction! Evil

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2010, 03:37:42 AM »

I noticed this when the thread started and then something something something just played it yesterday.

Wow.

I'm really enjoying it. I love choosing perks and tools (any more in the pipeline?), it's quite stylish (and has a unique flair to it), the sound is great (do I hear some reactive music? I think I do!) and the initial savage difficulty is offset by the fact one improves with each playthrough. Me likey.

Now, I haven't read through all of this thread, but the probability counter - it's cool, but is it just a gimmick, or is it giving me honest-to-goodness information in a bizarre candy coating? Either way would be nice, but knowing it's saying Something would be better.

Glad to see some delicious finished content coming out of the Devlogs again! I think I should watch a little closer.

Coffee
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic