Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 10:31:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusagi
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Musagi  (Read 3611 times)
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »

I know that DrPetter appears on this forum from time to time but his awesome project by the name "Musagi" has been mentioned only four times in total and never in its own thread. I guess DrPetter doesn't want to advertise an unfinished product but even in its current state Musagi is more polished than many shareware or maybe even commercial music editors. pxTone can't really compete with this one and isn't even that much easier to use!

Well - it's a music editor focused on retro-sounds and chip-tunes but it can be adapted to virtually any kind of music by loading and editing samples etc.

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/project_musagi.html

Don't be scared by the 0.1 pre-beta designation. The program works and has many, many features - be sure to read the documentation and the tutorial.

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/tutorial_musagi1.html

This project really needs more attention (like an article on the front page, perhaps? :-P) so as to give DrPetter the motivation to finish it. :-D

Currently I consider to use it instead of FL Studio for some simpler tunes since it's user-friendlier and doesn't fill your screen with more stuff than you need. =)

P.S. I am aware that another project of DrPetter, SFXR, made quite a splash several weeks ago so I wonder why THIS hasn't made an even greater splash. Maybe because SFXR is even easier to use and quite nice for almost all game developers and Musagi is aimed at real composers. However, I think that it might encourage some people (just like DrPetter's brother?) to start composing, since it's not difficult to learn.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:12:08 AM by Lim-Dul » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »

As a little incentive Tim accepted a news item on his IndieGames blog. Wouldn't a similar post on TIGSource be a good thing? ^^

P.S. My m4d rip-off skillz (composed with Musagi, of course - plus a couple of passes of the intro in question on Youtube ;-): http://www.codclan.org/junk/knight1.mid
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 06:29:25 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:21:28 AM »

Ok, so I'm gonna try this, because it sounds like it's exactly what I need.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »

Bumping back this old thread because a) musagi is awesome, but b) I can't figure out why it's doing something.

It seems like sometimes notes in a part, especially a drum track, get locked into place and can't be selected, moved or deleted.  If I add new notes/beats into that track, I can manipulate the new ones but the old ones are stubbornly locked in place.  I've tried saving the song and restarting the program, but it's still the same notes stuck there.

Is there a feature to lock/unlock notes in place that I'm unaware of?  I couldn't find anything like this mentioned in the docs.

If it's just a bug I'll go hunt down the program's forum and post a bug report (and beg and plead for this program to keep getting worked on, because I love it).

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »

Apparently it IS being worked on - the last update was on 05.05.08. I still keep it around as one of my main music editing programs. ^^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic