Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:52:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMagic Planet Snack v.1.5
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Magic Planet Snack v.1.5  (Read 6565 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »

Just finished this game for the unofficial Destroy the World competition. It is my first finished game. I hope you like it.

1.5 is the latest version.

Scores are negative in world -1 now. Sound volume is set properly if the game is started without running the config program.

Full list of changes in the readme file.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:03:50 AM by moonmagic » Logged

|
ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:16 AM »

it's hard to see what happens on screen among flickering light pastel colors
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:44 AM »

The art is awesome. It's really original, too. I kind of agree that the colors aren't very distinguished from one another, mostly because it made it hard to know what I should eat, and what to avoid. I found it pretty hard, mostly because I suck at games like that, but I also think the main character might actually move too fast for the space he's in. I kept over-shooting myself into enemies or bullets. Maybe if there was some kind of sense that the character was pushing against the blocks for a bit, before eating them, it would help-- instead of them disappearing right away, which feels a little airy and insubstantial. Nice work for a first game.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »

colors are bad and undistinguishable. The time when you can't move after death sucks. As a whole the game is a bit too difficult.
that being said it's rather addictive, it could be a great game with a few tweaks.
Also: major bug, the progression is not reset after death.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Also, thank you for playing. It's good to hear opinions from people who haven't been living in the game.

Planned redress:

- Player will be allowed to move horizontally during respawn approach.
- Lava and orb colors will be changed to distinguish them from ordinary ground.
- Movement delay will be increased slightly, to help with overshooting.

Moi: What progression are you referring to? I did not want levels to start over after death, because I think it hinders the inexorable feeling of diving through a planet. It also makes death feel overly punitive; the game is already hard enough. If you're referring to something else, though, please let me know.

|
mluongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:25:42 PM »

Uh oh.

ERROR in
action number 2
of Create Event
for object everything:

Error defining an external function.

Happened on my first load up and continues to happen with both snack.exe and config.exe.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »

I really like the concept of this. Graphics are great but it does need to be a bit better distinguished what you can/can't eat.

I think the game introduces too many elements all at once. You could probably fix the difficulty a fair bit just by introducing the different elements one at a time for each subsequent level.

I did make it to the second level, once, but generally found it too hard to enjoy properly.

Great potential for a really fun game, I think. I love the colors/graphics, too. Keep at it!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »

I uploaded a new version. Everything that hurts you is now either grayscale (for neutral enemies) or purple (for enemies that have their origins in the opposing wizard). You are able to move during the respawn cycle. I did not take the move speed down because I didn't like how it felt.

I will consider leaving the trolls until the third planet. I don't introduce satellites until the second; trolls would make sense for the third. The fourth has more aggressive wizards, and the final world has everything.

edit: re: mluongo: Ack, oh noes. I hope this isn't a result of my tinkering blindly while I was at work. I'll check the file as soon as I get home to my PC.

|
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »

I like this one a bit better, but it's still really hard! I absolutely can't get past that first pizza boss, it just seems impossible. As well, even if I've got the respawn glow effect, if I run into him, I get destroyed. =) I think making the enemies grey is good, it makes them hard to see but not in a way that feels unfair, just a bit mean.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

Again, thanks everyone for playing the game. I'm going to be uploading a version later tonight that includes the remaining six wizards, as well as some minor bug fixes (discovered the progression bug was the result of some debug things that I accidentally left in; also, the ability to move backwards during the respawn broke some things).

Working on adding some fun secrets to the game for players that manage to get everything, so watch out for those; probably not this version, but the next.

:EDIT:

Ok, new version is up (1.2). Wizard roster is complete. Try to eat them all! Also, mluongo: the only time I was able to get that error was attempting to run the game without the ultracrypt dll or without supersound.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:13:50 AM by moonmagic » Logged

|
PlayMeTape
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »

Yeaaah, I beat it. It was strangely addictive Smiley! I got 1.2 million so I didn't manage to beat the best score in the high score.

Gave it a small write up as well: http://www.ludusobscura.se (hint: it's in swedish).

Thanks for a very enjoyable game Wink.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »

My only complaint with this awesome little game: The sounds are really quiet. I had to crank up my volume to hear anything.

Other than that this is really fun and clever. Definitely addicting. I love the colors and general wackiness. Good work! Coffee

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 01:05:34 AM »

That was a fun departure, albeit quite difficult!  I also wanted to add that I think it's good you changed the enemies' colors, that helps a lot.  One more thing: Magic Planet Snack = cute name ^_^

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

Christoffer: Excellent! I forgot to reset the settings and scores when I uploaded the last version, so RZA is actually me on a particularly good playthrough. 1.2 million is a good score; definitely higher than the default first place score. Thanks for the write-up!

Letsap: Thanks for letting me know. I tested everything on a computer dual-booting OSX and Windows, so it's difficult to say how normal sound cards interpret the game. I'll bump up the max volume in the config program. The .wavs are all normalized, so that should help.

Everyone: Thank you very much for the kind words and the attention you are giving this little game. I am putting the finishing touches on what should be the definitive version for awhile. There will be a few secrets and a weird reward for collecting all the wizards. Stay tuned!

|
ortoslon
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »

some bosses in v1.2 spawn without "don't eat me" blocks so they're instantly vulnerable. i think this makes them too easy

EDIT: also, make the HYPER meter easier to keep an eye on (maybe make it darker)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:52:24 AM by ortoslon » Logged
ortoslon
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 04:15:20 AM »

when i was caught in a purple explosion while being invinsible in the HYPER-mode, this error popped up:

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object invincible_bubble:

Error in code at line 2:
   if player._invincible = 0

at position 12: Unknown variable _invincible

after i pressed ignore:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Collision Event with object burrow_small
for object invincible_bubble:

Error in code at line 1:
   if instance_exists(player) && player._start = 0 {other._dead = 1}

at position 38: Unknown variable _start

i ignored that error too and the game seemed to run fine after that

EDIT: another bug occured when i moved over a satellite

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object score_etc:

Error in code at line 5:
       instance_create(player.x,player.y,bonus)

at position 29: Unknown variable x
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:48:43 AM by ortoslon » Logged
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »

Thanks Ortoslon; some lazy coding on my part, will fix it ASAP. Need to remember to check for the instance before using its variables.

|
ortoslon
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »

me score 1501000 points

version 1.3 has been released, same download link
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »

Updated to 1.4.

|
LazyWaffle
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »

This game needs more exposure >:

Seriously, Moonmagic. You have no idea how addicted I am.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic