Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:09:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Sad Tale, By Lurk
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: A Sad Tale, By Lurk  (Read 10153 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »

Don't be a wuss lurk, use this screen magnification code that other gm people use
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Increpare- I found one, I'm just not sure it is 'the code', as I had to modify a few things to make it fit.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:17:28 PM by Lurk » Logged
increpare
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »

oh man, the borders on the house are moving really horribly. it's like the house keeps on getting bigger or smaller as i walk around (seems only to redraw properly when I let go of the movement key).  This doesn't feel right?  Or maybe it is intentional.  Not sure.

Snow effect seems a bit ott to me.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »

That's odd, it seems to be working fine for me.

Finally blew up the house and hit the road!  Not such a sad tale, after all Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »

Increpare: I had to do some quick work on the camera to implement the full screen code, but I have little time to experiment with it and get the kinks out so I went back to making separate versions, and being a wuss Smiley

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:17:40 PM by Lurk » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

CASinclair-
how about you make the game's events proceed to a certain extent after the player dies?
It's an awesome idea, and one that is quite easy to implement: by default, the game continues even if the player dies(it was possible for hypothermia killed characters to be 'reanimated' at some point). I put a deathclock to accelerate the gameplay, but I think it would be an interesting twist if the characters actually reacted to your death. I'll add it in the next version.
Glad I could be of help!
 Also reminds me that I should get back to making my own game instead of wasting time here.  :D
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

I have added a few more things. Some people talked about drowning, so I added a frozen lake. And a neighbor. And his daughter. Since I'm progressively adding stuff here and there, I removed all the loose links and somewhat organized the first post. So get version 1.4 there http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9488.0
increpare
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »

I was disappointed I couldn't pick up the dead body of the young girl.

Would you consider making the young girl cry when the young boy cries?

I still think it needs a good number of new things to hit a 'critical mass'.

I think everyone thought the road out was the lake before?

The lake works well as a father killer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:39:58 PM by increpare » Logged
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »

NPCs will kill themselves without even interacting with you first.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

EDIT: OH!  Is that a road out?

NEW EDIT: This happened:
Code:
for object obj_neighbor:

Error in code at line 10:
   target.sprite_index=target.sprite_hit

at position 29: Unknown variable sprite_hit

I had cried, led my father outside and hit him with a stick and he ran back in.  Somewhere along the line the other guy and daughter were outside and she died.  I hit him with a stick and he started beating her corpse.  I was trying to hit my dad with the stick indoors while the endless beating continued outdoors when that happened.  The mom had been beaten to death already or something.  The error pops up until you abort even though the father is still moving, so I assume it's the girl's corpse being beaten outside triggering the error..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:58:59 PM by JoeHonkie » Logged
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »

Joe- Thanks for the heads up. I had the same bug pop up. Actually, the crazy beardman was trying to beat up the stick. This is supposed to be fixed in this new version(1.5)http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9488.0, where he is not supposed to attack inanimate objects anymore. I also made the shotgun more visible.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »

Shot. Gun?

Downloading...

EDIT: Weird things with shotgun: it gets stuck in walls, and after I shot the little girl her corpse teleported to where the shotgun was somehow.

This thing reminds me of a few Edward Gorey sequences where a series of terrible things happen to a person or a whole family.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:25:34 PM by JoeHonkie » Logged
Eraser
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »

Eh the new version seems kind of twitchy... like, I'm inside but the little girl is outside and is visible on the screen, I would think that if you're going to draw the two buildings on the screen, you'd make both indoors when I was indoors on one, but you didn't.

Haven't yet found the shotgun, and I like how the stick can spawn in buildings now Wink

I did, however, manage to get everyone in my parent's house, which I promptly blew up.

(Pst, you should make bears/wolves that lurk in forest if you wander too far Wink)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »

boy does this game take me back to my childhood

boy has that phrase ever been more depressing

good work i likes  Beer!
TheDustin
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 12:33:36 AM »

I'm not sure that the shotgun really works well with this game. You play as a child, and this helplessness adds to the game. Giving him a gun seems out of place, and adds that extra button as well. The other adult is a nice inclusion, as is the lake. Outside of following me I haven't seen the girl do much, but I'll give it a few more plays. Keep up the good work, though. This is turning into an interesting experiment.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »

I'm afraid to say that it seems like between the first version and the latest, the game has become very glitchy and muddled. I experienced a whole range of problems:
- I get stuck between trees
- The shotgun gets stuck on walls, but still thinks I am holding it so I can still throw it away. other times it does this without seeming to touch any walls at all
- once I have gone outside, I seem to be permanently in 'freezing' mode, because I take damage consistently even when I'm back inside
- the girl frequently ends up in the black space around the borders of the 'indoor' area
- the hitbox for the father is too low. I can shoot right through him, but unless I get him right in the foot he doesn't die
- also, the father gets angry at me if I start crying, but he doesn't care at all when I shoot at him?
- when the house caught fire, it killed the girl through the wall, and seemingly without her ever approaching the wall
- the beard man sometimes runs off to a random corner of the map, seemingly for no reason. Is this intentional?

One other thing, why does throwing a stick at the father cause him to drop a bottle of whiskey? (I assume that's what it's supposed to be?)

I don't want to sound overly critical, I really loved the first version, but it seems like you are going too far, too fast, adding new stuff without consolidating what you've already got.

increpare
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »

I'm not sure that the shotgun really works well with this game. You play as a child, and this helplessness adds to the game. Giving him a gun seems out of place, and adds that extra button as well. The other adult is a nice inclusion, as is the lake. Outside of following me I haven't seen the girl do much, but I'll give it a few more plays. Keep up the good work, though. This is turning into an interesting experiment.
you can probably make her follow you to the icy lake : )
ThirdBM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 06:34:54 AM »

This is sad and depressing.
I think it will be more desperate situation if only thing the boy can do is crying so that this game becomes really sad as the subject said.
I prefer the first version. For me, It was more clear what this game is aiming about.
Good work. keep it up.  Beer!
Dragonmaw
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

I think critics of art games (such as myself or Lurk) can make a game they wouldn't necessarily consider an art game, but which might be construed as such.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 05:05:28 AM »

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Cheesy
Nah..I'm still pretty much on the 'arcade' side of things. But I have been thinking a lot about rpgs in the last 2 years. I used to love rpgs/adventure games. But at some point, I couldn't stand the grinding anymore. The bioware rpgs (Baldur's Gate, Icewind dale) showed me another way to present and interpret stats, but it still was in essence about having high numbers and grinding a lot.
Lately, I've thought about an old snes game called 'Young Merlin'. The gameplay was pretty abstract, like a mix of zelda and adventure game. You would progress through interactions with items and environment, and everything was pretty fluidly integrated, puzzles and everything.
I have a lot of rpg assets I did a while ago, floating around my pc, and I've wanted to use them in something, but I don't have the heart for a rpgmaker thing anymore. I'd like the game to progress in an adventure game style, without the inventory and verbs, only through interactions between items and characters. And have a story told with no dialog.
Someone earlier mentionned the shotgun
I'm not sure that the shotgun really works well with this game. You play as a child, and this helplessness adds to the game. Giving him a gun seems out of place, and adds that extra button as well.
I found it interesting that the shotgun was perceived as empowering the child, since there are no enemies in the game. Also, it is still treated as an action game item, and not in the adventure game sense. Try bringing the gun near your mom, then throw it. It was already implemented in version 1.5, but 1.6 corrects some of the collision bugs. Also, the bearded guy was running to get the log, but he got angry pretty quickly, hence the speed boost.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic