Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:22:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 2!  (Read 50702 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

Assemblee is a two-part game-making competition!  Each part has its own rules.

1. In the first part, artists and musicians will have a month to create as many art and music assets as they wish.  These assets will be voted on at the end of the month based on the quantity, quality, and variety of the assets provided.

2. In the second part, designers and programmers will have a month to take the assets created in part one and make games with them (assets used need not be limited to one person or team).  The programmers cannot make any changes to the assets unless it's done during runtime.  The best game will be voted on in the normal fashion.

3. Finally, the teams that created games for the second part will each vote on which artists and musicians they felt were the most useful in making their game.

4. The art and music that was created for the competition will be released to the public under certain provisions (non-commercial, credit given, etc.).

PART TWO: DESIGN AND PROGRAMMING

This is the second part of the competition, so we're looking for designers and programmers (toot toot!).  Your job is to create awesome games using only the assets that were created by the lovely entrants from part one.

Start Date: Now

End Date: Sunday, January 10th (Around Midnight)

Rules for Part Two (Design and Programming):

- Games should be started and ended within the time frame of the competition to be considered for judging (but it's OKAY if you start thinking/prototyping a bit earlier).

- Games must be made for the competition only.

- To enter the competition, start a thread for yourself here.  Each person (or team) is allowed one thread per game.  Post a link to all final games in the first post of the thread.

- If you created assets for part one, you may still participate in part two.

<<Rules and clarifications added by Melly>> (Derek, feel free to remove or edit this if you don't like something in here):

- You can use assets made by yourself on part 1 that are also available to all other participants.

- You're not allowed to supplement the assets with your own that have not been made and posted during Part 1. Everything you use must come from Part 1.

- It's perfectly fine to do these changes to assets:

* Adding a transparency layer or changing the background of a sheet to magic pink or whatever other color your engine uses for transparency. Do this ONLY on parts of the sheets that are obviously meant to be transparent.

* Converting files in ways that do not alter the visual quality of the assets. You can, for example, change GIF's to PNG's, but you cannot do stuff like changing a true-color PNG to a 256-color GIF as that would visibly change the colors and quality of the asset. Same goes for audio assets and 3D file formats. You can also transform font images provided into TTF's or another font format of your choice.

* Rearranging sheets so that they'll work better/properly with your engine. As long as you don't alter the graphics themselves, the order the tiles show up on the sheet doesn't matter. This also goes for creating sheets from graphics made by artists that didn't do that themselves.

- You should only do other types of changes (scaling, stretching, blending, etc) using code during run-time. This isn't meant to be a strict rule however as it may be too cumbersome/time-consuming for some people to write this kind of code. Not like we're going to checking everybody's code anyway, so don't worry TOO much about it. Yes you can do simple stuff like pre-flip sprites if your engine is so limited it can't do that. We're not nazis.

- Seriously, as a rule, if nobody could possibly tell whether you did stuff during runtime or not, who are we to judge?

- There are no material prizes, so focus on having fun and making awesomeness. Grin

<<End of Melly's additions>>

Okay, let's do it! Evil
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:10:37 PM by Derek » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »

Oh, it's ON NOW! Evil

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »

ARE YOU READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLE??
Also, are we allowed to make more than one game?

hi
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

Oh it's Awwwwn

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »

This should be fun  Smiley

May I make a request for a rules that says that format change is allowed?  What I think would be acceptable is changing file format (such as .gif to .png) or assembling images into a sprite sheet or a gif animation.  Basically as long as you're just changing the file so that your engine can use it, without changing any of the actual content.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »

When does part 2 start?

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »

Start Date: Now

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

When does part 2 start?

Facepalm

May I make a request for a rules that says that format change is allowed?  What I think would be acceptable is changing file format (such as .gif to .png) or assembling images into a sprite sheet or a gif animation.  Basically as long as you're just changing the file so that your engine can use it, without changing any of the actual content.

It's allowed.

I'm fairly sure you can, though you MIGHT only have people be allowed to vote for your games as a pack or something.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:29:25 PM »

When does part 2 start?

For the record, I was kidding. But I guess it didn't really come across that way.

roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »

Oh damn just realised that i'll be in NewZeland without much internet most of the comp  Cry
Damn, looking forward to my first tigComp

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »

Why not download all the assets you'll use, work on the entry there, and upload it when you can?

Eraser
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »

Why not download all the assets you'll use, work on the entry there, and upload it when you can?
Exactly. That's what I did, and I don't plan on my internet going out Wink

Also: Thinking of game names never works out for me, but I can't wait to see how my game will turn out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

I am not really interested in knowing any official answer about this -because I don't really care

- but I think it should be okay to take 3D models and convert them to a sprite sheet, don't you think?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mirosurabu
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »

Time to make I Love You 3.

I have no much time though, I'm going to Ireland in a week or sooner.
Unfortunately, I won't be doing any coding over there. ):
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »

ARE YOU READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLE??
Been so excited about this entire competition, it is awesome! 
Totally ready to RUMBLE!

I'm fairly sure you can, though you MIGHT only have people be allowed to vote for your games as a pack or something.

Oh yeah, I was wondering about making multiple games as well.  I figured if I did I can loosely pack them together in one .exe file.  Smiley  Not to sure how voting would work out... Would kinda be odd to create multiple games that got enough total votes to put you as the number one voted programmer, but not have a 'winning' game.  Well, if we can only have one entry, then we could decide which game to enter or have a mini-poll in our threads for which game to enter.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »

Oh yeah Smiley The game is on!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm fairly sure each team/developer only gets one slot on the voting. It's happened this way before, and it seems like the most fair and hassle-free way to handle it.

Ashkin
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »

I wish I could participate, but the unspoken rules say half-baked GM games aren't allowed. Concerned
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 12:06:57 AM »

Can't you make a new GM game from scratch for the competition?

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:20:53 AM »

Is hq2x allowed (or similar high-quality image scaling algorithms)? If so, can the images be pre-scaled if runtime code isn't available for your development environment?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:24:07 AM by shrapnel » Logged

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic