Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:40:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 2!  (Read 50698 times)
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »

The awesome thing about compos with strict limitations is seeing just how creative people can be when put to the test.  Everyone who views the entries will know what the rules were and their expectations will adjust.

Time to think outside of the  SMB Inert

SpaceBrance
Level 1

The one with White Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 05:31:48 PM »

So wait, I can't even flip right facing sprites left?

Also, can we use a pre-created font, or does it HAVE to be one created in Asemblee part 1?
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

Also, can we use a pre-created font, or does it HAVE to be one created in Asemblee part 1?

With something trivial like flipping sprites, you'd never be able to tell whether you did it ahead of time or at runtime. I think it's these simple, "you'd never be able to tell" kind of things that won't get you in trouble.

On the fonts, yeah, I think they have to come from part 1. Though, are pre-installed system fonts open season?

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »

Though, are pre-installed system fonts open season?
I think the official word on this is yes, they are allowed.

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »

Good questions.  
I think I could manage flipping sprites (using Java).  I wouldn't have an issue of people flipping sprites, but I am not a Mod, Judge, Site Owner, etc.  Wouldn't bother me if people scaled, or flipped GFX either.

I was wondering this too about pre-created fonts.  I think it would be very cool to use only the fonts provided here for the competition.  After all a number of fonts have been entered into this competition.  However... I am pretty sure I can figure out how to make standard font formats from the posted pngs.... but I am not to sure how to automate that at runtime.  So is it cool if we convert a png of characters to ttf or some other format?  Or should we slice and dice the font at runtime, and use them as images.... Be creative?! Mmm... decisions, decisions.

Another question.  I thought I heard some procedurally generated art was acceptable.  So, procedurally created backgrounds, text boxes, basic shapes, shadows, explosions, particle effects, smoke effects, special effects, etc.  Is fine?  Mostly make sure that ones work is within the spirit of the competition?  All 'art' must be from Assemblee Part I and/or created at runtime, right?

EDIT:  Actually, regarding text.  It is quite important to me to know whether we can:
A) Use system Fonts ( I am rather against this )
B) Convert PNGs and other non-Font formats to usable Font Format files.
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:42:12 PM by BigLon » Logged

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
harima555
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »

yayyyy finallyyy is THE DAAAYYYY   Cheesy, time to make awesome gamess!   CheesyMock Anger Mock Anger Mock Anger, ok  ok ok, will just calm down and start making a game  Smiley.

If learn programming does not make you feel dumb,you´re doing it wrong
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

I explicitely stated on the rules that all file convertions that do not alter the artwork are allowed. You can make any TTF fonts you want from the fonts provided in the compo.

Also, fonts should probably come from Part 1. There are a good few of them that should be useful for most situations. But nobody will come at you with pitchforks for using Times New Roman on your game.

This compo is about creative use of limited resources and improvisation. That's the fun of it. Now go and start making some games already.

EDIT: Made some additions to the rules to further clarify it for you, my pretties.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:19:40 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 09:29:13 PM »

- You can use assets made by yourself on part 1 that are also available to all other participants.

- You're not allowed to supplement the assets with your own that have not been made and posted during Part 1. Everything you use must come from Part 1.

- It's perfectly fine to do these changes to assets:

* Adding a transparency layer or changing the background of a sheet to magic pink or whatever other color your engine uses for transparency. Do this ONLY on parts of the sheets that are obviously meant to be transparent.

* Converting files in ways that do not alter the visual quality of the assets. You can, for example, change GIF's to PNG's, but you cannot do stuff like changing a true-color PNG to a 256-color GIF as that would visibly change the colors and quality of the asset. Same goes for audio assets and 3D file formats. You can also transform font images provided into TTF's or another font format of your choice.

* Rearranging sheets so that they'll work better/properly with your engine. As long as you don't alter the graphics themselves, the order the tiles show up on the sheet doesn't matter. This also goes for creating sheets from graphics made by artists that didn't do that themselves.

- You should only do other types of changes (scaling, stretching, blending, etc) using code during run-time. This isn't meant to be a strict rule however as it may be too cumbersome/time-consuming for some people to write this kind of code. Not like we're going to checking everybody's code anyway, so don't worry TOO much about it. Yes you can do simple stuff like pre-flip sprites if your engine is so limited it can't do that. We're not nazis.

- Seriously, as a rule, if nobody could possibly tell whether you did stuff during runtime or not, who are we to judge?

- There are no material prizes, so focus on having fun and making awesomeness. Grin

<<End of Melly's additions>>

Okay, let's do it! Evil

Emboldened for emphasis.

Thank you for your time and clarification Melly!  Sorry about asking questions already addressed in the rules. (I did read them before posting... should have reread em  Tongue) Bleh, enough stumbling over rules (legal mumbo jumbo), fun code time!

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »

Oh damn just realised that i'll be in NewZeland without much internet most of the comp  Cry
Damn, looking forward to my first tigComp

Dude, we're not that far behind the times!  You can get internet in New Zealand, I promise.  Honest.

Yes but i'm going to be a 'tourist', and have to do 'touristy' things so I won't have much time.

Ashkin
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »

Come visit me in Whangarei! Well, hello there!
P.S. fong - A - ray
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »

How about the Flixel default font? It's not exactly installed on the computer, but I also don't know how to use custom bitmap fonts with Flixel.

Also, what should the rules be on drawing primitives? Stuff like rectangles and things to make borders, etc. Do we have to stick with the interfaces (very few) provided?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 10:57:39 PM »

Like I mentioned nobody will kill you for stuff like that.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ashkin
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »

Can we draw colored squares arranged in complex patterns to make our own pixel art during runtime? Durr...?
Vish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »

Did anyone else see an unhappy man with clipped ear in that poster? Took me a while to realize it was meant to be a happy bird.

holy shit, it's a bird!

How is it a bird? From what angle? (I'm not being sarcastic. I actually can't see any bird!)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:33:57 AM by Vish » Logged
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:15 AM »

I saw the bird from the beginning. That means my right brain dominates me, or something similar...

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »

For my birdless peers.
Let there be light!

Vish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »

For my birdless peers.
Let there be light!

Now it's a bird. That earlier thing DID NOT look like a bird. I swear I stared at it for almost half an hour!
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 01:09:09 PM »

... ?

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »

Is it allowed to take a single frame of a character, unmodified, and map it on to rectangles for each of a character's limbs for skeletal animation if they dont give enough animations?

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »

... ?
Lol.  I can totally see why that man is sad now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic