Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:13:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Great Dungeon in the Sky [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Great Dungeon in the Sky [FINISHED]  (Read 62584 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »

Some pretty nice stuff you got there.

Really like the graphics and how you used them. Making ALL of Oryx' sprites playable? That must have taken some patience. Music is well used as well.

Still, despite the great variety of characters, it seems you suffered in the balance department. Some characters are simply a lot more useful than others, and with the enemies in a level being randomized it's impossible to plan ahead and pick a character strong against a specific type, for example. Some abilities, like Pray and Haste, didn't seem to do anything, and others had cooldown far too great for their effects. If you managed to pick the enemies from afar the rapid fire attacks tended to be very powerful.

There are also very few defensive abilities. In fact, the only two I distinctly remember were Heal and Invisibility. That makes sure many characters simply can't go through levels if they find a cluster of strong enemies. I think giving most characters at least one kind of defensive ability would have improved the gameplay and made it more than "spam best attack as much as possible".

Invisibility should have some kind of shadow or outline where the character is so we can tell where we're going.

While the levels are interesting, there's a bit too little variety for the sheer number of rooms in the dungeon. You go through the same levels dozens of times, especially if you die a lot, which you tend to unless you pick one specifically powerful character.

Still, the game is fairly fun, even if it gets repetitive after a while. I never got to find the dragons.

I can see massive potential here though, so I hope you improve things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:38:14 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »

I might be misunderstanding something, but it seems like every time I killed the dragon it would just respawn on the platform below it and I would be unable to finish the level. I tried this as both the bat and a warrior, same result each time.

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:40 PM »

I might be misunderstanding something, but it seems like every time I killed the dragon it would just respawn on the platform below it and I would be unable to finish the level. I tried this as both the bat and a warrior, same result each time.

:< Unfortunately, this is true. I totally forgot to bug test this with last minute changes, and so the official version is crappy buggy.

Play the fixed version instead, which is in the first post, and if you are feeling lenient you can judge that one. It is about a half-day late.

www.rocketninjagames.com/skydungeonfixed
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:23 AM »

I hate you for this game.
I finish it. It tells me "Now you have to unlock everything, start over! :D"
At that point, I break down and cry. :<

Anyhowitwasgood.

Linus
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 11:17:51 AM »

This is a pretty cool game, I like having tons of choices of characters, and it's fun to "hunt" certain ones I haven't seen before.

However, it's a bit grindy because it's only ever one of several predesigned levels. I was starting to get a bit bored after about 20 levels.

Flying is super super overpowered. I am now generally only using flying characters so I can pick and choose who I want to fight, and if I don't, I just fly my way past everything to the exit.

edit : Oh hells yeah, Gelatinous Cube is the most awesome character in the game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:09:51 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »

Liked: Good variety of characters with lots of varied attacks and abilities. Each character had a lot of individuality.

Disliked: I'd have liked someway of indicating if I'd already unlocked an enemy before I killed it. The levels got a bit repetitive after a while.

Conclusion: Good game. I'd be happy to play this again, but I don't think I'll try to 100% it.

Curseman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »

That is an impressive character select screen.

Edit:  The game freezes if you clear one of the bottommost levels.  Most likely it's trying to unlock an inaccessible area off the bottom edge of the screen.

It would be nice if moving the cursor off of one edge of the character select screen made it wrap around to the opposite side.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:21:45 PM by Vanguard » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

Mm, a really interesting game.  I admire the work it took to get every one of those characters playable, and I had fun trying to collect them!
It did get a little repetitive after a while, though, especially once you started seeing the enemy placement patterns in each of the levels.  And when you get some really unbeatable characters, and have little reason to switch.

Anyway, good stuff.
increpare
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »

aah playing this for hours.  compelling!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »

I've played it once through, it's fantastic!

Who are your guys's best mans?

I like the Monk Lord and the Birdman tribal leader.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »

For cheapness, I prefer Paladin and Angel, for cure wounds and flight respectively. For not cheap, I like the Mage and Archer.
I finish it. It tells me "Now you have to unlock everything, start over! :D"
Do you get anything for finishing it?  Cry
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »

Angel was my goto until I got the Birdman tribal leader. The tripple palm strike of the monk lord, that does multiple 20's of damage pretty much one shots the bosses.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
tsc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »

You've made a really engaging game, so here are a few suggestions:

1) Please please please put normal elves and gremlins in levels. Epileptic
2) More levels, more randomization! I've just been flying using Flies to see if there is a shapeshifter on levels they show up on and otherwise just flying directly to the exit to continue to look for dragons.
3) Challenge modes. More unlocks should be awarded for completing a run through >95% with a certain character. Dire Baby run, *Cube run, etc.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »

Also have the cursor stay at the last character you picked.

Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

Angel was my goto until I got the Birdman tribal leader. The tripple palm strike of the monk lord, that does multiple 20's of damage pretty much one shots the bosses.
I tried Master Monk a little while after I posted. Good stuff  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Speaking of birdmen, how do you get the row next to them, and the row below that? Do I need to use unlocks?
Curseman
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »

Birdman tribe leader wrecks everything.  The AI needs to be better at dealing with flying characters.
tsc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »

Cool update bro
spiderjjr45
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »

Hey, I'm having some troubles playing the fixed, final version.

I get to the menu, the title pops up, the island floats in the background, and I can pause and change the volume.

However, the credits, new game, and progess reseting buttons do not work for me. I can highlight them, but pressing them does nothing. Pressing C and X do not work either. If you could figure out the problem, I would be very thankful. I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and even IE. I'm on a Windows XP.
LSK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »

Even the final, fixed version doesn't have any of the characters in the bottom row appear during normal gameplay, and you have to unlock the white egg manually.

Also, I think that characters that aren't unlocked should have higher odds of showing up.
ScaredPanda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »

Actually, there is a spot in one of the underground stages that can only be reached by flying. There is always a single enemy from the bottom row there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic