Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:41:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2ro9 [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ro9 [Finished]  (Read 48684 times)
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »

Download (PC)

The objective of this game is to ascend as many of your 9 rogues as possible.

* Arrow keys move forward/left/right. Space to stand still.

* There are 9 dungeon levels. The color key at the bottom-right reminds you how deep each rogue is.

* There are 3 monster types per level. The humanoids are easy. The animals/creatures are hard. The bosses are hardest.

* Only one boss exists per level per rogue. Bosses drop an ankh when killed. The ankh will resurrect any other rogue that died on the same dungeon level.

* Aim for roughly 1 XP level per dungeon level. Gaining an XP level restores all your health.

* Don't try to run away from tigers.

edit: forget to mention the secret which will no longer be a secret once I mention it: press '9' on the main menu for sillyness.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:24:44 PM by Crackerblocks » Logged
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:15:36 AM »

good song + good title + good advice

KinokoFry
Level 0

NOM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 04:31:29 AM »

Aww yes! Cannot wait to see this.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:14:28 PM »

Been staring at the fat unicorn for too long...

so I decided to clear my head by playing with Oryx's 3D tiles. Here's what I got:

Demo (windows)

The idea is 9 psycho-kinetically connected adventurers, 9 levels of the dungeon. See how many you can have ascend.

This is using Oryx's un-repaired tiles. There's no map. The game only remembers 8 tiles per window, and randomize things every step. It's more of a puzzle game than a roguelike. Because a full out roguelike sounds like hard work.

Going to try to finish this quick, because it might just not work (you end up bashing into walls a lot). Then maybe get back to plan A.

Any crazy ideas are most welcome.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »

Have them start off as static, and you have to activate them by buttons on different levels.  Killing specific enemies unlocks doors on different screens.

hi
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

Hah, awesome! so glad someone's using those.
(/cry at that one messed up ceiling color tile in the rocky brown tileset)
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:04:59 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Very nice setup you got there, though 16 views at once is a nightmare. 

jrhill has the right idea, but if this is to be a playable "half-RL half-puzzle" game, I couldn't imagine there being more than 4 screens.  But that's just me.

How would you do combat?

-PENCERKOFF

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

Have them start off as static, and you have to activate them by buttons on different levels.  Killing specific enemies unlocks doors on different screens.

Or you have to convince enemies into killing themselves.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:15:25 PM »

How would you do combat?
Have one screen active at a time?

If you wanna be total ADD you could have all screens active at once and they all have their own RPG-style battle timers.

hi
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 12:55:52 AM »

How would you do combat?

Just walk into a monster. The other 8 adventurers will either walk forward or bash their heads against a wall.

The puzzling will be very simple. Based on what's immediately in front of your 9 guys, you choose to either go forward, or turn around. Puzzle is maybe the wrong word. It's just playing at the odds of survival. It shouldn't require any deep reasoning or mental mapping.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 04:42:10 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

How would you do combat?
Just walk into a monster.

Well I would certainly hope so.  The point of the question was how the battle would go... would there be uncontrolled fighting that randomly determined a victor?  Would you automatically lose?  Could you click a whole bunch on the screen to fight back?  Drop a 30 bomb of awesome frag?

-PENCERKOFF

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »

Ok, new demo time. I got combat and level progression done.

Linky

I think I'm getting a little bored with this idea. It sort of doesn't entirely work. But I will add a bit of polish and maybe sound, then call it done.

Although it was pretty fun trying to figure out all the math for damage, hit chance, XP, based on level difference between you and a mob. So fret not, you will get rewarded with exactly the right amount of XP based off the challenge you faced.

The goal is to ascend as many of your players as possible...

• Move forward/left/right. Space to stand still. No backwards.
  • There's 9 dungeon levels.
  • 3 monster types per level. The humanoids are easy, animals/creatures are hard, bosses are hardest.
  • Only one boss exists per level per player. Bosses drop an ankh when killed. The ankh will resurrect any other character that died on the same level.
  • Aim for roughly 1 XP level per dungeon level. Gaining an XP level restores all your health.
  • The color key at the bottom-right reminds you how deep you are.
  • Don't try to run away from tigers.
  • You currently can't win. There's no exit on the bottom level.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 01:47:09 AM »

I got a few guys to monochrome world and got owned.

Also:  Did one of my guys revive himself in hell?

hi
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 02:16:13 AM »

First off - this is awesome. I'm so happy you're using these! And you even animated my torches and used acid pools and stuff <3.

Needs sounds/music obviously - would help and the other polish like a cool multi-windowed title screen or something.

What does gold do? also some sort of effect when you get a potion?

The big thing I don't understand, is how the dungeons work. Is it random every move? When I just turn in place I would expect it to remain the same but it changes as I spin in circles. It would be awesome if the level were generated at the start so it became like some sort of rubiks cube puzzle or one of those get all 6 balls into the hole wood labyrinth puzzles!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:04 AM »

some sort of effect when you get a potion?
They heal you, the outline of each screen gets progressively more read as you get more dead.  Getting a potion or leveling up makes you completely healthy again.

hi
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »

I got a few guys to monochrome world and got owned.

Monochrome is the end. And I made it unfairly hard.

What does gold do? also some sort of effect when you get a potion?

Think I'll just tally up the gold for your score when I get the ending done. Although it will probably be too random, and you could just camp a level infinitely.

The big thing I don't understand, is how the dungeons work. Is it random every move? When I just turn in place I would expect it to remain the same but it changes as I spin in circles. It would be awesome if the level were generated at the start so it became like some sort of rubiks cube puzzle or one of those get all 6 balls into the hole wood labyrinth puzzles!

That's the main thing I wanted to fix. But I'm sort of torn. On one hand, I like the idea that you can just look at the screen as-is and have all the information you need to make your next move. Building a mental map of 9 levels sounds like too much brain strain. On the other hand, it would be pretty cool to see your other characters walking around.
I might do something in between. Still random, but less spastic.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »

That's the main thing I wanted to fix. But I'm sort of torn. On one hand, I like the idea that you can just look at the screen as-is and have all the information you need to make your next move. Building a mental map of 9 levels sounds like too much brain strain. On the other hand, it would be pretty cool to see your other characters walking around.
I might do something in between. Still random, but less spastic.

Each screen could have their own dungeon, so you wouldn't run into the others or really need to build a mental map, especially if they are generally simple (or just get a little bigger as you go deeper).
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »

This is way more awesome then I expected, it's a challenge to keep all of them alive. Gentleman

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »

You could make a tiny minimap in each player's screen of the rooms they've been in.

Like, one px = one room and they're semitransparent?

hi
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »

Calling this done.

Final version link in first post.

Since the last version I added sound and voice (which turned out better than I expected), some cool menu bloop bloop stuff, and the game ending. Also, Oryx's fixed tiles.

You could make a tiny minimap in each player's screen of the rooms they've been in.

The map is too messed up random for this.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic