Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:27:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIntergalactic Superfreighter!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Intergalactic Superfreighter!  (Read 6514 times)
LazyWaffle
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »

You are the captain of Intergalactic Superfreighter, the galaxy's biggest delivery ship! Due to some terribly bad timing, all of the planets are in positions that directly interfere with the route to your next customer. Having never EVER delivered late, you decide that the quickest way is by destroying all that is in your way, including the planets.

_____

So! This is a game Glyph, Gun (some guy from a different forum) and I have been working on for a few months. You play as this guy:

On an epic quest to deliver a package, this game features nine bosses, nine missions, space octopi, and awesome music (courtesy of kwwrr and MY BROHAM).

_____

Here are some screenshots.

Ship Interior (mission)

Quadro (boss battle)

Lunus (boss battle)

_____

Gameplay videos!

Lunus (MOOOOOOON BOSS)
*A ghost infected this video and fucked up the audio.

Orange House!
*Good quality! Kind of laggy though.

Ship Interior (Engine room)
*Note that the interior is still somewhat early in development.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:14:27 PM by LazyWaffle‽ » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »

Big guns are big.

Alomard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »

The idea is fun, and i like the art youve got posted here. godspeed  Smiley my only complaint is with that space background texture, I feel its too noisy, drawing attention away from the foreground, and lacks polish in comparison. Reminds me of runman race around the world actually, but all their art was like that so it fit better.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:15:33 AM »

Yeah, the background is a bit too obtrusive, but otherwise these graphics look great. I like the colors. I also gameplay-wise, is this going to be something like a cross between shmup and adventure? I couldn't quite discern it from your description (or the video).
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »

This game looks like it's shaping up good, love the interior of the spaceship. I agree about the background, makes it hard to focus on things.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »

gameplay-wise, is this going to be something like a cross between shmup and adventure? I couldn't quite discern it from your description (or the video).
It's not exactly a shmup, you fight the planets in a turn-based fashion and in the meantime you complete semi-linear missions on the ship (some are necessary to advance, like if the engines shut off or somesuch.)

And no need to worry, the backgrounds are notably darker now.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

I gotta say, that sounds awesome!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
LazyWaffle
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »

This is the robot that falls in love with the vending machine:

The main characters (Navigator, technician and captain)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:24:11 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
LazyWaffle
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

Death anim #1! Django explodes, and his limbs go flying everywhere.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »

This is looking to be quite the interesting game! The style is nice in its simplicity.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »

So! Out of boredom and Glyph being not here, I decided I'd show a little history on how IS became the horrible monstrosity that you see today.

It all started on a dark and stormy night. Wait, no, it was actually a pretty normal day. I wanted to try to do something non-programming related for once, and I decided to do some art for the Destroy the World competition. Some random guy who I never actually knew before named Glyph PM'd me, and asked if I could do the art for his game. I agreed, and he took his sweet time to get IRC. Finally, days later, we started the project.

Session Start: Thu Oct 01 17:56:33 2009
Session Ident: Glyph
[17:56] Session Ident: Glyph (EsperNet, LazyWaffle) (kdwhas)
[17:56] <Glyph> Oh, Hi. How do you start a private chat thing?
01[17:56] <LazyWaffle> You just did
01[17:57] <LazyWaffle> If you use mIRC, double click someone's name or type in /query name
[17:57] <Glyph> Heh. Got it.
[17:57] <Glyph> Okay, well about the game,
01[17:57] <LazyWaffle> Right, any ideas yet?
[17:58] <Glyph> Yeah, but it's pretty much up in the air on most parts.
[17:58] <Glyph> Have you played Mario&Luigi:Bowser's inside story?
[17:58] <Glyph> (Or any of the series?)
01[17:58] <LazyWaffle> Nope
[17:58] <Glyph> Oh, well I was thinking of a similar battle system...

There you have it. The whole project was hinged on a flimsy story and a battle system. After a day or two, he showed me the battle system prototype. It was pretty rad, but it had its problems.

As you can see, it's all placeholder. And the ship was friggen' HUGE. You couldn't move up and down 3 vertical slots. The lasers acted as shields during the enemy's turn. It actually didn't bug me that much. But this is where I got the idea for the graphics.

I really didn't think I could pull off such huge sprites. It was intimidating. I wasn't even that skilled of a spriter. I decided to myself, "Oh hell with it, I'll just rip off Matt Thorson's style" and made An Untitled Story-esque MS Paint graphics. Glyph didn't have a problem with it, so I continued making more and more graphics. I wasn't really satisfied with them, but it was better than actually putting EFFORT into them.

Instead of making the huge ship, I decided to make one a third of its size, and Glyph and I worked out the "3-slot system" where you could move to any of 3 vertical slots in the screen in order to dodge things, to replace the laser dodging system. The graphics were beginning to affect the game's design. But we were COO WIT IT.

After we got over the slope of starting a project, we started tossing around simple, gimmicky planet ideas. "Lets make a planet with tons of moons that it shoots at you, or a planet that has no color". This system actually worked quite well. Well, Glyph did all of the programming, so I can't talk on behalf of him. But it was easy to design them once we had simple concepts. This went on for a little while, and we finished a few planets. I was bragging about IS' progress on other IRC channels, and that's when my friend queried me saying something along -err, EXACTLY along the lines of

Session Ident: Gun6
[20:02] Session Ident: Gun6 (EsperNet, LazyWaffle) (wrwerk)
[20:02] <Gun6> Aqua you ___
01[20:02] <LazyWaffle> what
[20:02] <Gun6> :U
01[20:02] <LazyWaffle> what do you want
01[20:03] <LazyWaffle> oh
[20:03] <Gun6> you need somebody with maaaddd MSPaint skillz?
01[20:03] <LazyWaffle> mayhap
01[20:04] <LazyWaffle> i'll talk to Glyph about it
01[20:04] <LazyWaffle> alright, come awn down to #pentaclam

WARNING: Do not actually go to #pentaclam, or risk being crushed and melted.

So. My friend, Gun, who was a long-time artist who had much more experience than I, had joined the team. He adapted partially to the MS Painty style, but refused to give up the line tool for the brush. This led to the graphical clashing you might notice. I used the sloppy, cartoony paint brush while Gun used the clean, organized line tool. It was only expected, as he never used this style.

Twas no matter, however. He was a huge help when it came to design, and he also made more (and better) graphics in less time, allowing faster development. As time passed, we realized it couldn't simply be tons of bosses. We had to think of something in between the bosses. But what?

The answer was, for some reason, platforming missions. There was no argument, so we just went with it. We kind of ignored it for a while, and got back to making planets.

Time flowed, and the project evolved into something too big for a compo deadline to get in the way of. We ended up with 9 funtastic planets, each with their own gimmicks. We released a small beta to a couple people (Alec and Quenten), and they gave some quite helpful feedback. No bugs were found, however, so we moved on to the platforming.

We had nothing to go on except for an old platforming engine Glyph made a while ago and the fact that it would involve missions. This would be a challenge.

Gun made tilesets at the pace of a turtle, and when he finally finished, I made some rather crappy levels. And then Glyph made some levels. And then creative differences came in.

Glyph wanted something more serious, and complex for the interior. I wanted something lighthearted and not-to-be-taken-seriously. After several fights that may or may not have involved the death of innocent kittens, we finally settled on something in between. The missions would still be lighthearted and not serious, but they would still be somewhat complex. We came up with some ideas for missions. And now we're making them.

And that's how Glyph got mauled by a bear.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »

Finished the technician's idle sprite! Eh.

Did I get the proportions right? Jak looks a bit short...

AND a new gameplay video.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:31:05 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »

Can't wait to see Django exploding haha

Looking rad <3
LazyWaffle
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »

No progress lately, none of us have been motivated >:

here have a cat
owl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this game! The captain's sprite makes me feel all happy inside, it's probably the hat! XD The preview videos are really quite interesting, I like the look of the gameplay so far, and I definitely enjoy the engine room, the furnuture looks so simplistic that it feels sort of 'homey'... I don't know if that's the right way to say it, but this game just makes me feel happy.. Sorry if that made little or no sense.  Cheesy
LazyWaffle
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »

Thanks <:

Anyway, due to Christmas and shit, there won't be any updates for a week or two.
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »

Gief Dont press Down Sad

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
LazyWaffle
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »

Going back into development soon. Just wanted to say that IS isn't abandoned <:
LazyWaffle
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 05:31:32 AM »

I return with the first progress in 2 months.

Brace yourselves.

Are you braced?

Are you sure?

Because seriously.

This will be amazing.

No, really.

Are you ready?

ARE YOU FUCKING READY?

ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

It's a purple yam. Yeah.
Inanimate
Level 10