Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:58:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Other Observations [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Other Observations [FINISHED]  (Read 42044 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:57 AM »

There seems to be a bug in build 8 when i play 2x scaled version. If I try to attack an village or go hunting it scales to something 10x and HUD can't be seen.

(does not occur when playing non-scaled version)
It did this to me too.

hi
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 04:18:17 AM »

@Geeze/jrhill: I reported that, he says it is fixed in the version he's currently working on, so in the final it will work right. Just have to play in regular resolution for now.

That interface looks much more organized, pretty nice actually. I've been dying to hear the music that goes along with this too, so can't wait for final!  Hand Fork Left Smiley Hand Knife Right
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »

That's what I get for not reading the entire thread!  Giggle

hi
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »

Another Update

Well, I think it's time for a new update:

oryx, you can see I've taken your suggestions into account.

Basically, I've added about 10 different ranged weapons; they do not work like other items, the game automatically chooses the better one and you equip it.

Other than that, as you can see in the screenshot, there are some scrolls now! They either teach you skills like whirlwind or power attack, or add intrinsic abilities like infravision. Now I just need to catch the remaining bugs and eliminate them. I'm hoping to release the game by Wednesday.

(BTW, Arucard, would you want to be a beta tester? I really don't want to release public demos anymore, and you seem to be pretty good at catching bugs.)
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:21 AM »

(BTW, Arucard, would you want to be a beta tester? I really don't want to release public demos anymore, and you seem to be pretty good at catching bugs.)
Who, Me?Tears of JoyKiss Definitely! I'll hunt those suckers down! *ahem!* I mean, I would be honored to assist you in this noble endeavor! Just message me with a link, or build. Can't wait to see the hats!

Edit here: Just to let everyone up to speed, the build I received was practically bug-proof from my tests so far. The HUD can be toggled on/off, (assuming this will be in final version) so if it gets in your way you can move it. And there are a few nice surprises in there, a final release should be forthcoming fairly soon.
(Hopefully PDF doesn't mind me stepping on his toes here a bit Smiley)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:34:42 AM by Arucard » Logged
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 11:39:26 AM »

FINISHED!

Link to Version 1.0:

Download

I may release the source if enough people request it. For now, I don't think it's necessary.

Note: If you are having black squares (alpha) issues, you can play the unscaled version and press F4 to access the full-screen mode.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:19:10 PM by PDF » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »

3 minute review: It's really nice. gotta go though

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »

Played it, liked it. Solid work. Points to improve:

* I had to get into the game itself to be allowed to select 2xPixles. My lappy runs at 1650x1280. I could hardly read the text before. Allow this option immediately upon starting.
* Even 2x scaling is too small. Instead allow scaling by any integer.
* There is no volume control. All my sound goes to the stereo via a USB device, which however disables the system-wide volume control. As now the game is unbearably loud.
* When my wanderer leveled up in a hunt, I selected the "5% to heal when taking damage", the game crashed to desktop.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »

F4 makes it fullscreen.
Although it should probably say that on the scaling dialog as well.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:13 PM »

F4 makes it fullscreen.
Although it should probably say that on the scaling dialog as well.

Had no idea. I tried the usual Alt-Enter combination, that might be a more natural (additional) command for toggling screen modes.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »

Played it, liked it. Solid work. Points to improve:

* I had to get into the game itself to be allowed to select 2xPixles. My lappy runs at 1650x1280. I could hardly read the text before. Allow this option immediately upon starting.
* There is no volume control. All my sound goes to the stereo via a USB device, which however disables the system-wide volume control. As now the game is unbearably loud.
* When my wanderer leveled up in a hunt, I selected the "5% to heal when taking damage", the game crashed to desktop.

Well, you are right, I was assuming the player would have played at least one GM game before and knew the F4 trick.

However, why do you think the game crashed? The game should have showed an error screen when it crashed. I think you actually died there; the leveling up screen must have showed in the background that you had died. But I agree that leveling up is pointless in such a situation.

I think I will add your suggestions before the deadline; but volume control is something I cannot manage; rather, I will add the option to disable it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:22:22 PM by PDF » Logged
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »

However, why do you think the game crashed? The game should have showed an error screen when it crashed. I think you actually died there; the leveling up screen must have showed in the background that you had died. But I agree that leveling up is pointless in such a situation.
Ehh... Ok.

Or, if you level up as you die then you could transform into a ghoul or lich or something Cool That'd be a nice Nethack-like feature!

volume control is something I cannot manage; rather, I will add the option to disable it.
That's good, too.

Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

Beat it.  I didn't even know I was fighting the final boss (actually, I killed him in one hit, I think) until the end screen popped up.  Fun game, though!

Some thoughts:

Is there any way to see what skills you've learned?  Or to review what your currently-held misc. items do?  If you're going to do any more work on the game, those two things would be nice.

Also, if you learn the same skill multiple times on level up, does its benefit stack?  Why is there a +5% damage skill and a +4% damage skill?
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »

Well, you know I want the source, but I'll make a formal request here too.

Got a small bug in generation of a hunting zone, before the loading screen started it actually showed the level being generated (though just for a second)

Also HP is now being reset to the original max, rather than the current. I assume you're not using the GM default health? There are a lot of health items around, but if you don't notice it makes it easy to get killed quickly.
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2010, 03:21:02 AM »

Also HP is now being reset to the original max, rather than the current.

There is no HP reset; I am just giving the players some health so that using the teleporters would have some more meaning.

Beat it.  I didn't even know I was fighting the final boss (actually, I killed him in one hit, I think)

Why would such a game need a special, difficult final boss? If you were able to reach him, then it should be expected that you are already a lot stronger than him. After all, if he was that strong, why would he need an army? 'Hard end bosses' only apply to myths perpetuated by sinister priests who by doing so tried to control the lower classes (for example, take a look at Ancient Egypt).

Also, if you learn the same skill multiple times on level up, does its benefit stack?  Why is there a +5% damage skill and a +4% damage skill?

If they didn't stack, I wouldn't have let you take them again, would I?
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:57 AM »

There is no HP reset; I am just giving the players some health so that using the teleporters would have some more meaning.

Weird, I thought it was happening between dungeon floors, but doesn't appear to be now. Just when teleporting or leaving the hunting grounds.Shrug
Wondering: Is the detective hat from something? I don't recognize it, but assume it's an allusion to something or another.
Also, just noticed the "infinite dungeon" cheat! Awesome, thank you! I wondered why the dungeons were so short now, so I'll be playing the old way!  Cheesy
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »

Ah well, names are just names, and I don't really think it is ever good to make allusions in popular culture works since it would just be insulting a respectable medium; so the answer is no for you, Arucard  Sad

BTW, I've uploaded a new version, fixing the small issues/adding notification of additional keys suggested by those who were kind enough to comment.

Version 1.1

Mirror: Download
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:31:49 PM by PDF » Logged
CheshireKatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

Found a bug on load of an existing character.  The error displayed in the Error Messages dialog is:

Code:
for object o_blur:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

At this point, pressing Ignore generates:

Code:
for object o_blur:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

and from there on out Ignore simply generates more and more of this message.  This happens regardless of the scaling mode I chose at game start.  I do have an nVidia card, and have been running non-scaled + full screen to avoid the surface transparency issue (though the error occurs whether or not I have it scaled or full screen).
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »

Found a bug on load of an existing character.  The error displayed in the Error Messages dialog is:

Well, I hate to say this, but, as far as I am concerned, this bug should not appear (unless you used different versions of the game, or added a bloom.txt to the folder in which the game can be found); it is either an internal GM bug or something connected to your machine or there is some detail you did not give. I suspect the first one to be the culprit.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »

and from there on out Ignore simply generates more and more of this message.  This happens regardless of the scaling mode I chose at game start.  I do have an nVidia card, and have been running non-scaled + full screen to avoid the surface transparency issue (though the error occurs whether or not I have it scaled or full screen).

How can Gamemaker even exist when it doesn't work properly on half (or more) of the video cards in existence? Why even go on?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic