Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:33:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2"The Journey", Finished, Bugfix available [20100131]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: "The Journey", Finished, Bugfix available [20100131]  (Read 14295 times)
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:35:49 AM »

Ok, I chose the tileset and basic idea behind the game. So 'lo and behold the true beauty of one tile platforming goodness. The basic idea is the ability to rotate the scenery. Which has or has not effects on the habitants and/or items. This should lend itself to a few nice puzzles. I'm not yet set on how the rotation is triggered.

Current state:

Download original competition version here: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/files/The Journey.zip

A fixed version (if you experience the jump bug, ie. cannot jump up the trees after the first two enemies) download this please: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/files/The%20Journey%201.1.zip

The following people's assets have been used (notify me if I forgot you!):

-easyname
-arachne
-tocky
-MashPotato
-lulzapricot
-pgil
-pencerkoff
-skab
-yokomeshi
--N
-aueft
-NMcCoy
-emilio
-can-o-spam
-nooks
-iaza
-RogerLevy
-raiten
-Strom
-JR Hill
-Craig Stern
-Aaron P
-Saros
-Jorge Boscan
-feeblethemighty
-John Nesky

Update: 23-12-2009: Menu and options are there, the whole coordinate code has been redone and about a quarter of levels is done.

Update: 28-12-2009: The first songs are in as well as a few bug fixes. Two bosses are complete now. It's on to the next locations.

Update: 31-12-2009: More music, still no sound effects. The game design has it that you can receive the rotating power.

Update: 09-01-2010: Done!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:08:02 AM by Endurion » Logged
DrSakuyaPhD
Level 0

Foe BLASTOISE used LEER!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »

Looks promising.
Andrius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »

I really like the ninjas and rotating worlds! Ninja

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »

Is it MEANT to be Tigger, or TRigger?
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:10 PM »

I'm excited to see where this goes.
HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »

Cool!  Reminds me of Which Way is Up, but I like the twist of using a ninja for it.

I think you could do some really sweet stuff with this, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »

It's Tigger for now (as in TIGForums  Durr...?) as I needed to provide a name for creating the project as such.

Rotating is now working nicely and the first enemy is there blocking your way. Time to clean up the nasty showing lines.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »

Progress, got rid of the lines (as in load tiles, buffer the outside pixels and reassign the texture sections). Also, crates. A game is not a game without crates of any sort. Crates and enemies fall in the current direction.

One day I'll make a game with a crate as main character.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »

Turn off linear scaling, and turn on Nearest Neighbor! Grin

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »

Tried that, I guess that's the preferred method? I still need to up-buffer the tiles internally to avoid flickering holes. And maybe restrict the camera to position on full pixels.

Anyhow, progress is made (while I still can!): Wall-cling is active, works too good though. You can also cling to an enemy or crate.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »

Got more player animation in and fixed up movement. It's still quite buggy, but getting closer to how I intend it.

Here's a playable preview (Windows only): Click

When started press P to play. Move with cursor keys, left control for firing shurikens. For now, press Q and W to rotate the scenery. Don't fall or walk outside the black gradient tiles or you'll have to press Escape and P again.

Known bugs: Shuriken starts out at the wrong position if rotated. Jumping off the wall is completely off. Wall slide is not stopping correctly on red tiles. And surely there's more of them.

I'm thankful for any criticism, esp. for constructive one Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »

Whoa, this has the potential to be a BRUTAL game with more enemies.

hi
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:38:49 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Agreed.  Large potential here.  The ability to rotate the scenery seems a little extreme, the fact that I can fall forever is neat though.

The biggest bug right now isn't the wall jumping, but the inability to easily fall through a single-tile gap.  I guess the wall jumping comes off as mildly useless when you can just rotate the world to do what you want.

Still... love the progress thus far.

-PENCERKOFF

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:42:06 AM »

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to make of the wall sliding. Both rotating and sliding at the same time seem a bit too much. Maybe with a bit of timing (recharge for rotation needed) or rotation only triggered by touching certain locations it could get more balanced.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback so far!
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 01:57:23 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Recharging sounds like the way to go, but I'd hate if it ended up being that you're just sitting around waiting for it to recharge all the time.  Maybe instead of time-based recharging you could have stations where you pick up a charge (or maybe a few) and could use them until you had to recharge at a station again.  That kind of game might need to have a saving mechanic in case you got stuck without a station near.  I'm sure you'll figure it out.

-PENCERKOFF

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »

Edit: wrong thread  Crazy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:12:48 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

Make it sort of an action puzzle where the player can rotate as much as he/she wants, but you earn more points for completing the level in fewer rotations.

Also, you could make it a pure puzzle title where you have limitations of rotations and the player needs to use those rotations efficiently in order to complete the levels at all.

-SirNiko
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »

I guess it's going to be more action like (with puzzles strewn in). I've added script support and am getting the basic game design together. Planned are four areas with bosses and hopefully different graphics Wink

Also the rotation power won't be available from the start. In the first part you'll only be able to rotate by touching certain items.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »

There's a new demo. Press S to start the game and witness horrible epic dialog and a teensy bit of scripting.

The enemies are rather dumb but can still get quite overwhelming (fight the 5 ninjas on the second part). Demo is here: http://www.georg-rottensteiner.de/webmisc/Tigger_Preview1.zip

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »

Crapola. I had to rewrite the main movement code for one feature. I'm basically where I left off a few days ago Sad

Hopefully I can prod along way faster now!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic