Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:32:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mushroom Stew [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mushroom Stew [FINISHED]  (Read 27242 times)
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »

Mushroom Stew - v1.0

In-game:

Editor

You can change the controls in MushroomStew.ini.
You can have a list of the controls + basic game hints by pausing the game with escape.
There are .bat/.sh files to run in editor mode and the edited map is specified in ScrollEd.ini. I'll add a readme with all the info soon.

Archive contains win32, linux & Mac OS X binaries + source code & data.

And here are the credits:

-= Gfx =-

• MashPotato: Mushrooms + tilesets + projectiles
  • dbb: Buildings + trees/bushes + wizard
  • György Straub: Trees + clouds + snow flakes
  • Kazerad: DragonPrincess & blood splatters
  • FrankieSmileShow: Explosions
  • can-o-spam: Explosions + shuriken
  • Fifth: Fire/lightning balls
  • mr.mnml: Backgrounds
  • NotWorthy: Background
  • Melly: World background + tombstone
  • pgil: Font

-= Zic / Sfx =-

• easyname: Themes
  • Synnah: Theme
  • Sos: Boss theme
  • Atuun: Gun & start sfx
  • John Nesky: All the other sfx Smiley

-= Code / Design =-

• Iarwain

-= Story / infant distraction =-

• Peppernut

-= Additional challenge maps =-

• Blarg
  • Luco

---

[Original post below]

Here are the facts:

• Every compo needs a project X (and no, it's not because I have no imagination. Not at all! ^^)
  • I have no idea what I'm going to make yet and I suck at design, sooo... If there's a designer looking for a programmer, well, drop me a line! Smiley
  • The game will be 2D (but with a lot of nice FXs and scrolling stuff! Smiley)
  • The game will run on windows, linux and Mac OS X
  • The game will be open source
  • The game should be level-based and an easy-to-use editor will be provided
  • I'd like to have a multiplayer component (not sure if it'll be coop or versus yet) but it won't be online: local mp only

I've been wanting to enter previous compo but always lacked time. Now that I'm on parental leaves for a while it's the perfect occasion.

Also it'd be criminal, for a programmer that isn't even capable of drawing stick figures, not to try to play with all the great assets that have been made. Well, hello there!

It's also a good occasion for me to use the latest version of a level-based game engine/editor I'm about to release pretty soon (open source).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:07:44 PM by iarwain » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

What programming language are you thinking of using?

If I can get by just designing that'd be sweet.

hi
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »

C++ is the language.

A level editor (Aquaria-style) is available and everything is tweakable with .INI config files. I'll take care of all the programming.

Today I began doing a top-down action/shooter game (so far I've got the main character animated movement + shooting along with static enemies with homing missiles) but most of the assets are better for side views so I'll probably abandon this proto there. It's also harder to do differential scrolling with a top down view. Wink

Any idea? Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »

Hmm, well I guess I'm better at designing side-scrollers since those are the only kind of games I've made.  (Besides interactive fiction, lol)

So I guess if you go with a side-view I'd like to do the level designs.

Do you have ideas for plot or anything yet?

hi
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:24 PM »

Sidescroller sounds good to me.
As for the plot, I haven't a single clue.
We can have tanks, a fighting "dragon-girl", wizards spawning mushroom soldiers and a lot more of awesome stuff but I haven't any idea how to bind this all. Smiley

As for the main character, any preference? There are a couple of very well animated sprites in the assets.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »

I don't know, I pretty much like all the graphics made for the compo.

I guess I primarily want to use stuff that other people aren't using yet.

hi
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:04:10 PM »

I guess I primarily want to use stuff that other people aren't using yet.
As far as I've seen, nobody has touched a western theme yet, despite Yokomeshi's excellent cowgirl sprites and my own mouse-aim cowboy sprites. Plus you can slap a cowboy hat and revolver onto anything to instantly westernize it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:07:43 PM by Kazerad » Logged

iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

That's true. Actually I was planning on mixing themes. Smiley

I'll prepare a couple of different playable characters first, and then select tile sets.
So far I've planned on using the tile sets made by jrhill and arachne.

I'm currently in the process of setuping your own DragonPrincess as a playable character, Kazerad, it's a fine work you've done there, congrats! Hand Clap The overlay for the on-the-fly coloured version is a nice addition too.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to add an alpha layer with GIMP to your sprite sheet. Such a simple task ends up taking me so much time, but I'll eventually figure it out! Grin

As I still don't know exactly what the game would be, I'll try to have some of the characters usable both for player and NPCs.

EDIT: Victory! I'm now a lvl 0 artist: I can create an alpha layer from a selection in GIMP. -_-
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:07:42 PM by iarwain » Logged
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:28:31 PM »

you can slap a cowboy hat and revolver onto anything to instantly westernize it
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »

I'm currently in the process of setuping your own DragonPrincess as a playable character, Kazerad, it's a fine work you've done there, congrats! Hand Clap The overlay for the on-the-fly coloured version is a nice addition too.
Awesome, and thanks Grin. Glad to see her being used!

Hahaha, this is awesome. I consider my theory proved.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »

Cheesy that's growing into a signature that might be hard to escape, man.=)
(I loved your shotgun girl sprite, and if I wasn't aiming for something simpler in terms of gameplay, I would have went with that.)

In the meantime, have some more

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

EDIT: Victory! I'm now a lvl 0 artist: I can create an alpha layer from a selection in GIMP. -_-
You can also go to Layers > Transparency > Color to Alpha

hi
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »

I tried that at first but I ended up with full transparency on the blue background and some kind of half-transparency on the sprites themselves.

Learning how to use GIMP-like softwares sounds to me far more difficult than learning any new programming language. ^^
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »

Oh yeah, it'll do that...  Your way is the most consistent.

hi
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »

I tried that at first but I ended up with full transparency on the blue background and some kind of half-transparency on the sprites themselves.
Color to alpha will do that. Color to alpha makes a specified color completely transparent and every other color relatively transparent so that if you put the color that you specified behind it (the background) you'll have the same image. It's quite useful.
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »

Color to alpha will do that. Color to alpha makes a specified color completely transparent and every other color relatively transparent so that if you put the color that you specified behind it (the background) you'll have the same image. It's quite useful.

Ok I see! So far I only wanted fully opaque sprites. I'll probably use semi-transparency for sword trails and stuff like that.
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »

Erm, had 2 days off the computer so the project didn't advance much, but I'll try to be more productive for the coming days.

I decided to integrate a bunch of assets (see the Credit.txt for the exhaustive list).
So far I only had time to had trees, houses, a couple of backgrounds and the basic animation set for Kazerad's Dragon princess.

As integrating assets so that they can be used in the editor is a tedious work, I took a pause to actually code a bit and I got the basic player move (run, jump/double jump, crouch & slide). I've also coded logic for missiles/projectiles and creating dust FX/impacts depending on the surface that was hit.

Next steps are adding a melee+range attack to the player logic + test it with the Dragon Princess character. I'll add other playable characters later (such as Fifth's Doggy or Xion's  Sword Guy) as it's only a matter of integrating their assets and tweaking their properties (type of attack, damage, health, FXs, ...). This tweaking is completely done in config files so it won't require any extra code and other playable characters can be easily added.

As I literally such as level design, if jrhill is too busy I might go for arenas and have a PvP game instead of a more traditionnal side scroller.

The editor is still in alpha version but it allows users to:
  • add/duplicate/remove objects using a predefines set of objects
  • pan/zoom the camera
  • edit objects: position, rotation, scale, tiling, antialiasing, colorize, transparency
  • use depth layers (any number of layers you want, by default it's set to 9)
  • activate/deactivate the parallax differential mode
  • display a grid and enable/disable a snapping mode to align stuff
  • test the game on-the-fly, in the editor
  • save/load a map with automatic backup saves in separate files

Again, it's an alpha version so don't expect the best map editor made, but so far it suits my need.

To launch the editor, simply use the -editor flag (there's a .bat provided for convenience).

The sample level I created is *simply* an example to test the whole code, nothing more, so it's a bit messy with trees all over the place! Wink

The full source code is provided in the archive along all the unencrypted config files. Only the release win32 build is available to keep the archive light though.
The Mac OS X & linux project file will be made later but I can do them if someone would like to play with them.

jrhill, if you ever try the editor and want a detailed explanation on how to use it, please let me know. Smiley

Also, I know the explosion are a bit "too much" for land/jump FXs, but I find them neat for a red-coloured Dragon Princess! Wink

Link to the archive:

http://orx-project.org/rom/ProjectX.zip

Please let me know if you find any bug. Any suggestion is also welcomed! Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »

Eh... I realized my own project is going to take up too much of my time at the moment...

Yours is looking pretty awesome at the moment though!

hi
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 12:46:37 AM »

Eh... I realized my own project is going to take up too much of my time at the moment...

Yours is looking pretty awesome at the moment though!

No worries! I'll go with local multiplayer à la smash bros then. =)

Good luck with your own project!
iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »

Here are a couple of screenshots...

In-game:

In editor:

And here's the link to the archive (source included).

Let me know if someone has any trouble running it as I only tested it on XP. Especially for the grid display in the editor as it's done by a fragment shader and I'm no expert.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic