Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:23:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2SONR [Alpha Demo 2 & Suggestion Request]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: SONR [Alpha Demo 2 & Suggestion Request]  (Read 25325 times)
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 11:27:46 AM »

Good news and bad news.  The bad news is that my wife's grandfather passed away this week, so I've been doing things related to that.  Good things to do, but things that are not working on game development.  So as you might be able to guess from the fact that I'm posting this on the day entries are due, I'm not going to get any more work done on this before the deadline.  Haven't decided yet if I should enter what I have and hope that some people agree with jrhill and give me a few votes just on looks.  Any thoughts?

The good news is that I plan on working on this more after the end of the competition.  It won't take me long to implement a fair amount of additional stuff.  It's just time I haven't had this last week.  I'm not sure what the proper tigsource etiquette is in this situation.  Just keep posting on this thread?  Or is there a better place to post stuff in this sort of situation (meaning a competition entry that keeps getting worked on after the competition)?

With that out of the way, thanks to jrhill for the feedback.

Although it does look pretty fantastic, the combat feels really formulaic.  Basically I defend and let them attack me until they stop, then attack them until they die.  It doesn't feel like there's much skill or chance involved in it, plus it's hard to tell when you're defending or not.  (I died a few times in attack mode thinking my position was glitching until I realized I had to set it back to defend)

I'm glad you like the way it looks!  Any suggestions in that regard?  I'm fairly pleased with how it's looking, though I think the particle systems need a little tweaking on looks.  I totally agree with you about the combat feeling formulaic though.  The combat is my next area of focus.

Here's my suggestion: right now there are only two states, attack and defend.  I suggest adding a third so you get a rock-paper-scissor effect.

Interesting suggestion.  Would that make combat too complicated though?  With your comment about not knowing if you're defending or attacking (I had the same problem btw), with this just make it worse?  Not sure.  Maybe not.  In the future I think I'm going to make it so the enemies can move and also so they can change their offensive/defensive strategy dynamically (current when they start up each of their particles has a 50/50 chance of what it will be).  I was thinking those elements might make combat more interesting, but at the moment I don't think they'll be a big enough win to bother implementing, given the current combat system.  I'd really like something where combat is based on skill rather than luck or just how many particles you have.  I'd like it where you can beat an enemy with more particles than you, if you're good enough.  Not quite sure how to do that though.
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »

I know this is like six months later, and everyone is probably working on the new competition, but I thought I'd let anyone know who was interested in SONR that I'm still working on it.  I'm going slower than I did during the compo, but I got far enough to make a trailer.  I put a link on the first post, but here it is again in case anyone is interested.

I also wrote a blog post about it, if anyone is interested in that too.

http://mythicant.com/2010/07/18/sonr-trailer.aspx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic