Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:09:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Part Two Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Part Two Discussion  (Read 62073 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »

Post thoughts, questions, mockups, and anything else related to Assemblee: Part 2 here! Hand Thumbs Up Left
Eraser
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »

Thoughts? This is awesome. And everyone who's already created a topic in this part 2 section better finish their games.
Questions? Are part 1 and 2 going to be judged at the end of part 2? I assume so because IIRC the rules said the usefulness of each asset-maker to our games.
Mockups? Naahh... who needs them anymore now that we can show off the real games in progress?
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

Slashie thinks we sad-duck programmers should be allowed to modify the art assets in the following ways:
* Scaling
* Color Depth (VERY important, if we are to have games with consistant appearance, but I wonder...)
* Resolution (Making blocky things out of non-blocky things) (Related to scaling) (May not be accepted, but I'm still shooting it)
* Flipping things

In no way shall a programmer do the following, under penalty of manbaby-ation:
* Change the appearance/structure of an asset by "Drawing" over it (adding pixels or other things), unless it's on runtime. (And even so, this is debatable)
* Extending a tileset (this is painful, specially because we have many characters, but little environment tiles)

This, after checking out thru the assets. What do people thinkz?

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »

Finding what you need in the mess of assets is quite painful. Short of actual organisation, perhaps we could have a requests thread (or just use this one for it) in the sense of 'I really need a good sidescrolling spaceship - has anyone seen one?'

That's a quite serious question. I can't believe that there's only one side-view ship in all this...
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

It is too late for requests... probably...

Does this show we programmers always leave the work for latter, and then it's too late? :D

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Slashie thinks we sad-duck programmers should be allowed to modify the art assets in the following ways:
* Scaling
* Color Depth (VERY important, if we are to have games with consistant appearance, but I wonder...)
* Resolution (Making blocky things out of non-blocky things) (Related to scaling) (May not be accepted, but I'm still shooting it)
* Flipping things

In no way shall a programmer do the following, under penalty of manbaby-ation:
* Change the appearance/structure of an asset by "Drawing" over it (adding pixels or other things), unless it's on runtime. (And even so, this is debatable)
* Extending a tileset (this is painful, specially because we have many characters, but little environment tiles)

This, after checking out thru the assets. What do people thinkz?

It's more about appreciating the assets that were made.  If your game features things that are very close to the provided assets, as in not dramatically changed, that's good.  If your game features unrecognizable assets (because you changed them so much) then that is bad.

Nobody is going to demand your source code to make sure your scaling job was done in code and not beforehand.  It's more about getting votes because people believe that your game had good use of provided assets.

-PENCERKOFF

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

I just hope someone uses the lofi 3d dungeon-mastery set i made :/
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »

I just hope someone uses the lofi 3d dungeon-mastery set i made :/
If nothing else, I'm sure someone will flip the whole close-up wall sections in the tileset sideways and use them as ornate columns.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm actually only using Oryx's tileset and nothing else.  Like you NEED anything else.

The only modification I'm making is the window size.  It's running in 3x resolution; 8x8 tiles are pretty small otherwise.  Tongue

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »

I meant requests as in pointing out what's already there, not as in 'draw me a spaceship, plz'.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 06:37:41 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I think it would be funny if we could get some statistics going on people who are using lofi versus not. 

Of course, maybe there's a a decent amount of people mixing graphics levels.

-PENCERKOFF

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »

Oryx is super awesome, yes, but he is getting used too much! More unique, people!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »

I think programmers should be allowed to take 3d models to make sprite sheets out of them, what you guys think?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:12:08 AM »

My one suggestion ... 2.5D

I think programmers should be allowed to take 3d models to make sprite sheets out of them, what you guys think?

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »

Yeah, just because you are making a 2d game in a 2d engine shouldn't preclude you from using any art that you desire.

+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 07:20:44 AM »

Its pretty fun messing around with all these assets  My Word!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:31:12 AM by +peter » Logged

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »

Oh SHIIIIIII-

SO next-gen!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
meadowsweet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »

Damn, that looks nice!

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »

Its pretty fun messing around with all these assets  My Word!

Damn, that looks nice!
Oh SHIIIIIII-

SO next-gen!

Quoted For the Truth! QFT

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »

That looks fantastic. One good thing of this compo is that we'll have lots of 3D games with 2D assets on them, which I always found looked sexy.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic