Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:12:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mulder's Totally Bogus (Rabbit) Journey [finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mulder's Totally Bogus (Rabbit) Journey [finished]  (Read 18069 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, Oddball. I agree that since the game makes very little effort to explain itself, certain elements feel nonsensical. The hay pills are actually timothy hay pellets, but I didn't want Mulder to shout "timothy hay pellets!" every time he was hungry. I should probably clarify that in the guide, because it reflects a predilection real-life Mulder had while he was alive.

Similarly, cranberries make him run so fast that he produces a ninja rabbit ghost. Gameplay-wise, this is supposed to represent the bewildering movement of a rabbit in flight. If it helps, just think of it as a Shinobi-type thing.

I agree that the spikes are hard to see. I've made them all black in the build I'm working on now, which seems to help. I didn't know a good way to do it at runtime for the competition.

There are other bunnies, but they are hidden in caves. I designed the game to be playable after completion, and later levels make prominent use of the kind of walls that can be dug out to reveal secrets. The idea is that the player notices them and then looks for them when they go back through the game again.

Thanks again for playing; the feedback is very helpful. I'm working on a build right now with the first "dungeon" in it, and some tougher screens. Food matters more now, too, so stocking up before adventuring underground is a must. So everyone, stay tuned?

|
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 12:51:26 AM »

I just tried the post-compo version of this. I started without reading the thread. I really love what you've done with the graphics, the hide mechanic, the feedback from the rabbit, and the rabbity feel of it. But I couldn't work out what the berries or the Z and X keys were for, and assumed "hay pls" was some kind of lolcats thing. It was fun to avoid the monsters using just hiding and the sight cones, so I got to the middle of the question marked level and kept trying Z and X to see if I could tunnel or escape through it.

Rather lovely; would play more.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »

Thanks Pishtaco! I am excited to say, I've almost finished with the next build, which adds a few more levels and improves the monster pathfinding a bit. There's also an extended underground dungeon, and the first of the psychic computers.

Maybe I'll put a few labels on the hay and cranberries at the beginning of the game to make a kind of "this is what this stuff is" framing level. Since most people seem to be getting by without the dash, I should start making more levels that exploit it. What do you guys think about Mulder being invincible while he's dashing? Cranberries would be a limited use "bypass this puzzle" item, then.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 02:22:04 AM »

Ok dudes. Been way busy with my new job, but finally finished a good build of this. Lots of new things!

A dungeon with absolutely no warning as to its length!
More vague dialogue!
A spirit guide!
A menacing boss!
A powerup!
Many new levels!
Eyeballs everywhere!
More more more!

|
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic