Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411467 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:06:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Bitworld [Finished (OSX+WINDOWS)]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Bitworld [Finished (OSX+WINDOWS)]  (Read 164448 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »

Also, Dwarf Fortress. Grin

This. The reference made me chuckle.
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »

Man, this looks so great Smiley Any chance of a Linux version?
Puck
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2010, 02:13:02 AM »

I stumbled over here from the B12 forum, and I quickly had to register, just to bring up a plea.

Puuuulease gief turnbased option? (Altough I suspect that's a bit of a beotch with the moves that need to be charged up) I always thought that's one of the things that makes those games "non twitched based"

And of course it would be extra awesome if one could import fortresses  Well, hello there!
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

I'll try to make a linux version of my engine player, but it probably wont be until the voting ends. Also, I changed the download link to drop.io cause my server was getting a little bit hosed. Please use that instead.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Saphiric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »

When I launch the game I am taken to a window with what I assume is a menu (a sort of squashed white T in a blue bar with snow). I hit enter, I get another white rectangle. I hit enter again and I am taken to what seems to be the game, but all I see is blue with snow. So it seems like nothing is rendering. Is this because I'm using crappy integrated intel graphics? And is there anything I can do on my end of things to get it to work? From what I've seen you have a really great game here, I just wish I could play it  Concerned

Every cloud has a silver lining(except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90).<br />--Kevin Holmes
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:52 AM »

Ok, having tried some more, I realised that the buffer clearing issue (or whatever it is) only ever appears when I press "n", which apparently takes me down one dungeon level. When going down as usual the graphics works as intended.

I play in full screen, which is glitchy. Messages and menus will be positioned in the upper left corner and occupy their normal window size, regardless of the actual screen size.

The game is ripe with potential, but I need drops and items. I also don't think the character progresses in level, right? So basically, basic and simple things to implement, and you've got helluva game here!  SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2010, 08:56:30 AM »

It seems appropriate to put this here (made for the Boxart sub-compo):

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

Haha, wow!! thats great!! Thanks, Bood War!!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »

Liked: The liberal use of my graphics Hand Thumbs Up Left. The gameplay is spot on, just my kind of game. The animations are adorable, and excellently solve the assets short comings. In fact there are some clever improvisations to solve the many omissions from the supplied assets. Heavy doses of replay value, and looks like it would make a great full blown game.

Disliked: If I was being really picky, there are a few graphical glitches and it's a little rough around the edges. But I don't really have any solid complaints.

Conclusion: Definitely one of the front runners. Very good.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »

Thank you for your feedback, Oddball, you're a real trooper. I gotta go through and play all the entries myself when I have some free time this week.

Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »

Wow. This was the first game I tried from the entries and it set the bar pretty high for the follow-ups. The graphics are just amazing. You were able to squeeze so much life and juiciness out of those tiny sprites without betraying their style. I love it!

Unfortunately, my first experience of the actual game was a dungeon where the starting room has no connection to other rooms. It took time to figure out that it was a dungeon generator bug. Big Laff But the look & feel kept me trying. After a restart, everything worked like it's supposed to.

After a level or two, I started noticing that the combat starts to wear out a bit. I have no specific suggestion on how to make it more interesting. Possibly some item management or simple interactions with the environment (doors, chests, etc...)? I must admit that I didn't play exceptionally long so I might have missed some crucial mechanics.

Please do continue working on it. It's an outstanding achievement and one of the best entries IMHO.  Gentleman
Teslanaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

This is frickin awesome! Reminds me of Egoboo, but 8-Bit. I would so love to see this on portables or more expanded into Consoles. I'd love this on my PSP or, now that the PS3 is closer to homebrew after being hacked, on the PS3! Or bring this to PSN! Multiplayer!

Keep up the great awesome work. Smiley
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

Thank you for your kind words, guys. I will work to polish and expand it after the compo!

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »

When I launch the game I am taken to a window with what I assume is a menu (a sort of squashed white T in a blue bar with snow). I hit enter, I get another white rectangle. I hit enter again and I am taken to what seems to be the game, but all I see is blue with snow. So it seems like nothing is rendering. Is this because I'm using crappy integrated intel graphics? And is there anything I can do on my end of things to get it to work? From what I've seen you have a really great game here, I just wish I could play it  Concerned
Same here. What can i do to fix this?

sofakng
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »

Can you tell us what engine/framework/libraries this is written in?

I absolutely LOVE the style!
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »

It's written in my own engine/framework called "Substance" that is somewhat like Unity. It's based around a C++ 2d/3d/sound/networking engine and uses Lua as its main development language and has its own cross-platform IDE that can publish directly to multiple platofrms, currently Mac and Windows and web via a custom plugin (though that feature is a bit rough right now, hence Bitworld not havin a web version). I am also currently working on an iPhone/iPad export at this time. I hope to release it to the public in the near future.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »

Congratulation on your victory Ivan.
Beer!Hand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up Right

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »

Great job!  Woot!

Can't wait to see Substance, too.  Tiger

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »

I have tried a very early version of Substance and it is super awesome. Smiley

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »

It's written in my own engine/framework called "Substance" that is somewhat like Unity. It's based around a C++ 2d/3d/sound/networking engine and uses Lua as its main development language and has its own cross-platform IDE that can publish directly to multiple platofrms, currently Mac and Windows and web via a custom plugin (though that feature is a bit rough right now, hence Bitworld not havin a web version). I am also currently working on an iPhone/iPad export at this time. I hope to release it to the public in the near future.

As lua is my weapon of choice lately, I find this highly appealing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic