Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:53:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mr. Kitty's Quest (Finished!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Kitty's Quest (Finished!)  (Read 42994 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

This looks fantastic. I'm really enjoying the huge feeling of the tiles with the tiny animal sprites.

|
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 11:12:08 PM »

Totally off topic, but using

as your user icon makes you awesome, pgil.

hi
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:06 PM »

Awesome.
Hope you have time to create a large world à la Legend of Zelda.

Kepa
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:39 AM »

This looks great!  Not enough Legend of Zelda inspired games.
pgil
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

Got an alpha ready:
Download here!
Please extract it, and make sure the "music" folder is intact.

This demo shows the first couple of screens and the first large area to explore. It ends once you reach Dog City.

Some things I'd like to hear about:
-Do save points work for you?
-Am I starting you off with enough health?
-How's the difficulty curve in this first part?
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »

Didn't work for me. Regardless of the ones I encountered I started back in the left room of the house.

-Am I starting you off with enough health?
-How's the difficulty curve in this first part?
I only got hurt three times when I played: once at the beginning when I touched a slime to see if they were pickups or not (protip: they weren't), once when I failed at dodging a shot while surrounded by scorpions, and once at the end in dog city when surrounded by shooting enemies. There wasn't a lot of of difficulty in it so far, in my opinion. enemies enemies simply walked toward me while I mowed them down possibly while putting on my best TF2-Heavy voice and declaring "Bwahaha! Cry some more!".

I think two factors that combined to create the relative ease were the fact that the weapon worked fine long-range and the fact that there was no deterrent to firing it all the time. When enemies appeared, I could just stand far away and spray, taking a step to the side if one of them fired at me. There was not a lot of reason to get into situations where the enemies could hurt me.

Also, was a little disappointed that after going all the way back to the weapon-seller, he wouldn't acknowledge I had found all the coins. My perfect credit record is ruined Cry

Ashkin
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »

This. Is. Awesome.

I like:
The arcadey action.
The music.
Shooting people.

I don't like:
Uh.... There isn't enough!
You need some kind of way for the AI to tell if you're on the other side of a block. Line of sight, basically. Otherwise you're attacked by a horde of enemies whenever you come around a corner.
I think it's a little too easy. I was only hurt once or twice. Maybe speed up the firing of those enemies, or get the black things (Scorpions, I think) to dash at random times, dealing more damage.

I wish I could do this good. Cry
pgil
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

Didn't work for me. Regardless of the ones I encountered I started back in the left room of the house.
Oh, I should have mentioned, it only loads your game if you die, not if you restart the game. I'll implement a proper continue option once I make the title screen.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

Argh - Gamemaker bug makes alpha not work with my Nvidia gtx280 card.
The only way around it is non-scaled, full-screen mode, but the way you've got it set up that doesn't work (since you're defining the scaling). I tried mucking with the .ini but no luck.

Anyone know of a fix for this?
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »

I think the difficulty is about right at this stage in the game, but it needs to ramp up pretty soon. More enemies that shoot back, and some different ai patterns would be a good way to do that.  Everything worked well for me, great job!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »

This is looking pretty nice. I played through the demo and enjoyed it. Things have a pretty good feel, and this can only improve as you add finishing touches.

I like the little details like the crab enemies piling up against each other while advancing. The enemies that fire projectiles are fun to fight. This makes me want to do a shooter Grin.

The tilework and enemy placement is a bit sloppy looking, and some areas look more rushed than others (like the east end of the forested area full of crabs). I imagine a lot of this is owing to this being an early release. I already like the game, but I'd like it even more if the final version were to have more attention to detail in the level design.

I ran into a bug (?) where some crabs were piled up against the north wall of the area they were in even though I was south of them. If I shot one it would walk toward me, but they ignored me otherwise.

Nice going, I'm looking forward to future releases Smiley
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

Very good start!

I found the controls simple and agreeable. Evading the first batch of enemies (prior to getting the gun) was a breeze. Once I had the gun, I was also pleased to find it was rapid fire. I hate click-happy shooters. I was hit once by the first shooting monster simply because I didn't realize I was being shot at. After that, I never took damage.

The houses with open doors let you escape the boundaries of the forest and walk in the trees. See the witch's house for example.

The monsters in Dog City were fun to fight, but pretty easy. I just sprayed bullets in their general direction and kept strafing. Pretty much all the combat in this game is trivial. If the crabs could ambush you (such as closing in from behind while you engage an enemy ahead) it'd be different.

Finding the heart container was neat, albeit pretty easy.

I liked the little guy on the river, and watched him on his way down. Sadly, he does nothing that I can tell.

It seems I can't pay off the dude in the gun shack even if I have 100 coins. How sad.

Need some feedback to indicate you're paused. Either dim the screen, beep when you hit space, or put up a big "PAUSE" or "PAWS" when the game is stopped, or any combination of those three.

The music fits the gameplay pretty perfectly. The graphics are nice too.

-SirNiko
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

Perhaps, in keeping with Kazerad's interpretation, firing could make you move more slowly? That would a) give you a disincentive to constantly firing, and b) mean that attacking makes you vulnerable to both incoming fire and melee attacks.  If you implement different weapons, they could have varying amounts of slowdown, maybe with startup and cooldown times.

To put it another way, Evil what evil dohg sends keettens to fight me?
pgil
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone. With your encouragement I might just get this beast done on time.

Here are some new screenshots:

Got an inventory screen working and started on a new area with Kren's tiles. Also tweaked some of the enemy ai to (hopefully) make them less predictable.  I'll have another build out soon.

Oh and hey, only one week left!
Ashkin
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »

Time for a new demo, right?

How about now?

Mmmmm.. Gold teeth.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

]
Hey! Gold is not magnetic!  Gentleman

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »

Better get a refund on those teeth!
pgil
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »

It's a really powerful magnet. It can pick up toenail clippings.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

It's a really powerful magnet. It can pick up toenail clippings.
Oh, I see, in your game universe gold has natural toenails in it?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
pgil
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »

Yes. Yes it does.

New build everyone!
Get it HERE
This doesn't open any new areas, but I've done a lot to the enemy AI, so if you played the last build let me know whether or not you think this is an improvement.

This build also has a menu at the beginning and an inventory screen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic