Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:31:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2[FINISHED]Tree-hugging goodness
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED]Tree-hugging goodness  (Read 12707 times)
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:59:07 AM »

Hi all. Decided I'd finally sit down and write out what I'm working on. Atm the game is called Ranger because I'm not a creative person, its essentially a roguelike with a twist. Half-assed design I wrote in notepad follows:

You play as a ranger defending a forest from monsters. The monsters invade and slowly kill the forest. You kill them with arrows.

Gameplay consists primarily of top-down turn-based roguelike action, with a focus on ranged combat and potions.

Main twist is that your character doesn't get much stronger with experience, the key to growth is instead access to better arrows and potions, both of which are gathered from your grove, at the center of the forest.

Better arrows could simply do more damage, but could also include various status affecting arrows, like flame or freeze arrows. Potions would include both the simple heal-you type and the thrown grenade type, which can cause ground effects like slippery or burning ground.

You gain access to better gear by planting different seeds in the grove, which grow into trees which provide you with gear. Seeds are gained by succeeding in encounters (ie fighting off orcs cutting down trees, or completing a dungeon). The growth of trees can be improved by using dead enemies as fertilizer.

I have some thoughts about planting trees next to each other to cross-pollinate as a method for getting fancier seeds, but I haven't really thought that through very far.

Basically the game is two-part:

1. Kill monsters in dungeons/fields.
2. Look after plants.

I'm working in XNA, and using Oryx's lofi set (duh). This is my first not-intended-to-be-total-shite game, so hopefully it won't end in tears.

Here's the link for the game, it will require the XNA 3 runtime from Microsoft, so go ahead and grab that too.

http://drop.io/lh87jjl/asset/ranger-zip

*fix'd topic icon

latest picture actually showing game:

latest picture of exciting menus:

updates:

1. made shot arrows tie back to inventory items, added inventory, made map for grove, added player death
2. added animated tiles
3. can pick up items now
4. added world map, can transition between world map and grove map (and by extension hopefully other maps), fixed player behaviour on world map (should not be able to shoot/interact w/ stuff)
5. added fonts, transparency, fixed nastiness with default tiles
6. replaced ui sidepanel font w/ oryx font, started work on inventory screen
7. finished inventory work for now, inventory functional for arrows, can switch between arrows while playing using number keys
8. adding planting spots, part of planting screen, lots of refactoring to reduce coding pain
9. trees grow in planting spots, half of planting screens now done, large amount of backend stuff for both seeds and fruit done
10. done lots of stuff, 1st release out

List of known issues:

* No scrolling in inventory when carrying more items than can fit onto screen.
* Item names on side panel can overrun the edge of the screen
* Tree names on the planting status screen can run into the tree image
* No saving/loading
* Arrow effects don't do anything
* Slow/Stop on monsters does nothing

There are probably heaps more of these as the game isn't really finished, I just rushed it out to meet the deadline. Hopefully I'll pick it up again in a while and start polishing it into something more playable.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:37:14 AM by menki » Logged
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:10:11 AM »

A WILD SCREENSHOT APPEARS!

Note that the crummy text on the side won't stay there, also I'll probably get around to putting alpha in so characters don't get drawn on black backgrounds.
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:02:37 AM »

Figured I'd give a status update; I've written a bunch of the code for handling items, to the point where you have a limited arrow supply which ties back to a specific type of arrow in your inventory, instead of the shoot button magically creating them out of nowhere. Additionally, I made a map for the grove (still need to set up animated terrain tiles, but otherwise that's sorted).

Also I made it so enemies can hurt and kill the player, triggering a game over screen.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »

I was just looking at this before you bumped. I have to say, it really captured me. At first I was like "another Oryx game!?" But then I was like, "hey, that's kinda good."

Lol, keep at it, it's sure to be awesome.
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

I love the farming/husbandry mechanic - looking forward!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »

yes, great concept. Hope you get time to do the tree breeding stuff!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:21 AM »

I do love the concept, kind of a mix between Necromancer (C64) and Horde (...and a rougelike).

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this. Good luck!

menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:28 AM »

Thanks for all the support, I was bit worried that this would sink into obscurity due to the giant pile of roguelikes being done (which is totally awesome).

I've added animated terrain, and that's all, because I'm sleepy. Also screenshot:

This is pretty much how the grove will look (although no skeletons). There'll also be dirt patches scattered around the ruins in the middle for planting trees.

Oh and that river is animated now, I just cbf making a gif of it. Maybe tomorrow I'll load in one of the delicious sprite fonts made for this compo, or get to work on transitioning to an overland map, or maybe pop-up event dialogy stuff. I think I'll try developing stuff in the order players will see it, so maybe some kind of intro dialog thing. Also I should probably overhaul the menus, since they're all sample XNA stuff and thus don't really fit in very well.

Anyway, I will make more stuff at some point in the near future, then I will post about it. Maybe I'll even get around to posting playable stuff.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:42 PM »

Yours has enough of a twist I don't think you have a problem of obscurity. Unless it turns out to weird. In which case you can replace obscurity with notoriety.

I like the idea of developing in player order. As a player you will have a better understanding of what is needed coming from that perspective. Also, you ensure that the first X minutes of play will be amazing, X being how many minutes you get around to implementing. For instance, if you manage to only create 10 minutes of play, and people stop after 8 minutes, they will think your game is totally amazing, because you front-loaded everything Smiley

menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 06:20:25 AM »

Got more stuff done. Major excitement is that I can now generate some arrows on the ground, have the player pick them up, then start shooting them. Also it doesn't crash when I fire off maps that are the maximum size possible (stupid off by one errors). I think I wrote some framework stuff for transitioning between maps, but I've forgotten it so I'll probably have to write it again tomorrow.

Hopefully more will get done tomorrow, what with not having to go to work.
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:59:48 AM »

Got transitions between the world map and the grove map working, which by extension should mean that transitions to and from the world map should generally work, I just don't really have anything but those two going atm.

Also fixed stuff so you can't shoot/use things on the world map.

I've started putting together an inventory screen, however it doesn't make much sense to do this until I get fonts sorted out, so I'll probably be doing that later tonight or tomorrow some time.
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »

Got transparency working. Turned out I had switched it off early to test something, and just forgot to turn it back on. Also fixed a nasty issue with default tiles (ie the ones that are drawn when there isnt anything there, esp. for edge of map), which caused horrible performance issues (using exceptions for control flow inside drawing code is a really, really bad idea, yet for some reason I thought it would be cool).

Also, fonts are now working, as can be seen below:

*note that this does not mean that this game will feature lions in any way, shape or form.

Sorry for the long time since last update, I blame books and television.
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:40:18 AM »

I've removed the last remnants of the old font, so now all text is done with Oryx's fixed-width font. I've also started work on the inventory screen. Hopefully it will be fairly solid by the time I post my next update. At the moment you can just switch between different tabs in your inventory.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »

Excited to play this! Seems to have the makings of a nice, focused little game.

|
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 06:05:35 AM »

Well, that didn't go as planned.

Don't really have a good excuse, just started watching tv and didn't really stop.

I got a fair bit of inventory stuff done last night, and finished off the current inventory stuff tonight. It only deals with arrows thus far because I've only fleshed out arrows enough to deserve an inventory, but adding in other stuff should be fairly trivial once I decide on their data structure.

I've also added in switching between arrow types while playing because doing the inventory stuff wouldn't make much sense without that.

*arg forgot to disable interpolation when scaling pic, now its all fuzzy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:08:51 AM by menki » Logged
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »

Good twist!  I look forward to trying it out.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 04:25:49 AM »

Ok, finally started on the planting stuff, since thats what everyone seems interested in. At the moment its fairly bare, as I'm just setting things up, but you can get some idea of what the planting menu will look like from the screens below (also added a current screenshot of the grove to show the newly added planting spots).

In this you can see the planting spots (they're the deserty tiles, I may make them look more dirt-like by tinting the image). You should also note the numbers down the right-hand side of the screen. These show what you have equipped (I really should have picked up those arrows to show this). You can use them both to switch between arrow types, and to use fruits (which will function as both potions and grenades, depending on whether you use them on yourself or an enemy).

This is the status screen of the planting menu. Similar config to inventory menu, move through screens with left/right, navigate individual screens with up/down. The status screen will eventually display more than just name and age (and also will hopefully not be just showing you that its slightly aged dirt, which I just realised I should probably fix, as age should only apply to plants). Also, 8x8 pixel images look totally sweet when scaled up to 192x192.

I was thinking with plants I could do a Shin Megami Tensei/Dragon Warrior Monsters style fusion system, whereby you can plant two seeds in one spot to merge their powers. Also when you tell a plant to produce a seed, after producing the seed it stops growing in power, but still produces arrows/fruits.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:47:20 PM »

Cool ideas!

hi
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »

Hmm, thought it was going to be tree-hugging, not dirt-hugging Wink

Growing bombs and arrow-plants in your back yard? That sounds like a winning formula right there.

menki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:28 AM »

Hmm, thought it was going to be tree-hugging, not dirt-hugging Wink

Better now?   Gentleman
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic