Hi all. Decided I'd finally sit down and write out what I'm working on. Atm the game is called Ranger because I'm not a creative person, its essentially a roguelike with a twist. Half-assed design I wrote in notepad follows:
You play as a ranger defending a forest from monsters. The monsters invade and slowly kill the forest. You kill them with arrows.
Gameplay consists primarily of top-down turn-based roguelike action, with a focus on ranged combat and potions.
Main twist is that your character doesn't get much stronger with experience, the key to growth is instead access to better arrows and potions, both of which are gathered from your grove, at the center of the forest.
Better arrows could simply do more damage, but could also include various status affecting arrows, like flame or freeze arrows. Potions would include both the simple heal-you type and the thrown grenade type, which can cause ground effects like slippery or burning ground.
You gain access to better gear by planting different seeds in the grove, which grow into trees which provide you with gear. Seeds are gained by succeeding in encounters (ie fighting off orcs cutting down trees, or completing a dungeon). The growth of trees can be improved by using dead enemies as fertilizer.
I have some thoughts about planting trees next to each other to cross-pollinate as a method for getting fancier seeds, but I haven't really thought that through very far.
Basically the game is two-part:
1. Kill monsters in dungeons/fields.
2. Look after plants.
I'm working in XNA, and using Oryx's lofi set (duh). This is my first not-intended-to-be-total-shite game, so hopefully it won't end in tears.
Here's the link for the game, it will require the XNA 3 runtime from Microsoft, so go ahead and grab that too.http://drop.io/lh87jjl/asset/ranger-zip
*fix'd topic icon
latest picture actually showing game:
latest picture of exciting menus:
1. made shot arrows tie back to inventory items, added inventory, made map for grove, added player death
2. added animated tiles
3. can pick up items now
4. added world map, can transition between world map and grove map (and by extension hopefully other maps), fixed player behaviour on world map (should not be able to shoot/interact w/ stuff)
5. added fonts, transparency, fixed nastiness with default tiles
6. replaced ui sidepanel font w/ oryx font, started work on inventory screen
7. finished inventory work for now, inventory functional for arrows, can switch between arrows while playing using number keys
8. adding planting spots, part of planting screen, lots of refactoring to reduce coding pain
9. trees grow in planting spots, half of planting screens now done, large amount of backend stuff for both seeds and fruit done
10. done lots of stuff, 1st release out
List of known issues:
* No scrolling in inventory when carrying more items than can fit onto screen.
* Item names on side panel can overrun the edge of the screen
* Tree names on the planting status screen can run into the tree image
* No saving/loading
* Arrow effects don't do anything
* Slow/Stop on monsters does nothing
There are probably heaps more of these as the game isn't really finished, I just rushed it out to meet the deadline. Hopefully I'll pick it up again in a while and start polishing it into something more playable.