Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:37:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 104630 times)
Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 03:43:39 AM »

On a seperate note, some other things I'd want to clarify:
1) Am I right to assume the game has to be quittable from menu?
2) Can I provide the stage-based levels, so long as I also include 5-minute options, or should I disable that from the build?

(also, imho the no pre-existing game ruling does seem a little unfair for those who has developed 1-switch games previously, though I guess it does give those new to the genre a fairer chance, since everyone has the same amount of time to create new ideas)
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 04:12:25 AM »

I have a couple of questions as well.

1. Is there anything that stops me from entering the game created into Dream, Build, Play as well as GAMMA?
2. Is it ok to use art created for this in other games? (I'm working on something not for GAMMA at the minute and the art would work well in both games.)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:11 AM »

From The Rules:

Pre-existing games will not be accepted.

I wasn't in the rules on their website when I first saw it Sad. Too bad, because basically nobody cares about one button games. Sure the players care, but getting the word out is just impossible. The only one who decently highlights the one-button aspect of games is http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/ . For the rest... nobody.

The GAMMA competition will only reinforce the common believe that one button games are nothing more than little prototype toys. Because in that limited amount of dev time, that's all you're going to get. And believe me, there are some great one-switch games out there.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I've been there and know. (And the fact that I can't submit Mystic Mine probably also has something to do with it Wink).

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

I don't think anyone should be complaining about time.  Canabalt, which is pretty much what everyone entering this competition will be mentally competing/comparing with, was created in a crazy 48 hour prototyping session as far as I understand.  Given that it's one of the best one button games ever created, I don't see how two months isn't long enough.  Wink
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »

you say little prototype toy like its a bad thing.

eelke
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »

Awesome challenge!

I've been doing research on one switch interfaces for the past 2 years. I've listed some general strategies for making existing game interfaces switch accessible on my website see: http://eelke.com/oneswitchgames.html where you can also find some example one switch game (adaptions) (Bejewelled, first person shooter and a monkey ball game) that my students made.

Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:55 PM »

I don't think anyone should be complaining about time.  Canabalt, which is pretty much what everyone entering this competition will be mentally competing/comparing with, was created in a crazy 48 hour prototyping session as far as I understand.  Given that it's one of the best one button games ever created, I don't see how two months isn't long enough.  Wink

However, Canabalt is little on innovation, and relies almost entirely on polish: the 1 button platformer via jump is about the least original type of 1 button game.

(not saying it's bad, it's like the Gran Turismo of racing games)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:54:58 PM by Kyrn » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

I have to disagree with that.  Innovation isn't tied to complexity; Canabalt is innovative because it's mastered a ridiculous kind of simplicity, and yet still hasn't suffered for it.  Like fish said, what's wrong with small interesting games?  I'd say that there's a lack of well polished games like that anyway, so hopefully this leads to some more.  Smiley
sandra
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »

Hello,

I have a question to the rule "Pre-existing games will not be accepted.".

Is it allowed to adapt a mainstream game?
Or is it allowed to reuse code and designs?

The time is to short to make a mainstream like game in this time.
I personally would love it to have some adapted mainstream games.
This would show that also some mainstream games can be played with one button.
For Game Accessibility this would be amazing.

Best regards,
Sandra
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »

Is it acceptable to simply map all the xbox controller buttons to the same input, along with a set of sensible keyboard keys? It's still effectively a 'one button' game but gives consideration to people who might not be comfortable with standard ergonomics, or be in a situation where 'normal' controls are nasty (like a laptop keyboard, etc.)

Are we expected to provide a 'quit game' or 'restart game now' option? If so, can we put it on a separate button? Or should we just let the 5 minute timeout take care of it? On a similar note, would you prefer that a game lean towards being completed within 5 minutes on the first try, or are you fine with games that have some difficulty to them (the intent being that a player might not beat it on their first try, but they'd get a taste, be able to watch others play it, and maybe try again later and beat it)?

What aspect ratio will the displays be on the show floor? 1024x768 suggests square, but if they're going to be HDTV style aspect ratios, that would be good to know. Black letterboxes are kind of nasty looking and so is non-aspect-ratio-preserving upscale.

Is it fine if the game supports resolutions above 1024x768 (via scaling of vector graphics, etc) as long as it looks totally awesome at 1024x768 or below?

In-game menus seem like a bad idea if the goal is to fit into 5 minutes. Is it fine if we have some basic 'system configuration' that can be done one-time at startup, so that the game is properly configured for a GDC show computer, but still configurable for random people who decide to play it? Even if a one-button interface could be used for configuration menus, it's kind of absurd to shoehorn them into it if they're only going to be used once.

Once my entry is finished, is it alright if I release it for people to play before Gamma 4? Or would you rather that we wait until after? Likewise, are videos or anything like that acceptable? How about releasing the source code (but not, say, a playable executable)?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:58:12 PM by Kaelan » Logged

OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 01:58:31 AM »

Is it acceptable to simply map all the xbox controller buttons to the same input, along with a set of sensible keyboard keys? It's still effectively a 'one button' game but gives consideration to people who might not be comfortable with standard ergonomics, or be in a situation where 'normal' controls are nasty (like a laptop keyboard, etc.)

It's my understanding, via Fish, that the 'A' button is the only control allowed on the Xbox 360 joypad - but that duplicating access to this control across the keyboard and mouse buttons is fine. I recommend SPACE BAR and LEFT MOUSE CLICK at the least for improved accessibility. You could then use JoyToKey at a post competition stage to map those keyboard/mouse controls to whatever you like on an Xbox 360 joypad.

In-game menus seem like a bad idea if the goal is to fit into 5 minutes. Is it fine if we have some basic 'system configuration' that can be done one-time at startup, so that the game is properly configured for a GDC show computer, but still configurable for random people who decide to play it? Even if a one-button interface could be used for configuration menus, it's kind of absurd to shoehorn them into it if they're only going to be used once.

I think it surely depends upon the game design. Ideally your game will be played beyond the confines of the competition, so adding some kind of difficulty level adjustment and other options will frequently broaden the game's appeal. Just make sure the game has a quick-start facility and surely you're covered there? I've posted some accessibility help that may help futher regarding in-game menus here:

http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2009/12/gamma-iv-one-switch-help.html
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »

hey one switch, id appreciate it if you didnt answer questions for us.
thanks.

fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »

you can support keyboard and mouse if you want, but on the xbox controller the only button that does anything is the green A button.

Are we expected to provide a 'quit game' or 'restart game now' option? If so, can we put it on a separate button? Or should we just let the 5 minute timeout take care of it? On a similar note, would you prefer that a game lean towards being completed within 5 minutes on the first try, or are you fine with games that have some difficulty to them (the intent being that a player might not beat it on their first try, but they'd get a taste, be able to watch others play it, and maybe try again later and beat it)?

think if it as an arcade game. try to avoid menus. there's no need to quit the game to desktop during the game. of course, all that kind of stuff can be assigned to keyboard or whatever as debug functions, that's fine. just a start screen that waits for players to join is fine.

What aspect ratio will the displays be on the show floor? 1024x768 suggests square, but if they're going to be HDTV style aspect ratios, that would be good to know. Black letterboxes are kind of nasty looking and so is non-aspect-ratio-preserving upscale.

did you read ANY of the rules or FAQs before asking all those questions?
i quote "The maximum game resolution is 1024×768."
so anything that isnt ABOVE 1024x768 is fine. yeah?
black leatherboxes are alright. you can use any aspect ration you want as long as it dosent EXCEED the MAXIMUM resolution.

Is it fine if the game supports resolutions above 1024x768 (via scaling of vector graphics, etc) as long as it looks totally awesome at 1024x768 or below?

you mean a setup or installer tool? yeah that dosent have to work with 1 button.
once that game starts, then it should be only 1 button, but those config options should be available to the players.

Once my entry is finished, is it alright if I release it for people to play before Gamma 4? Or would you rather that we wait until after? Likewise, are videos or anything like that acceptable? How about releasing the source code (but not, say, a playable executable)?

we prefer if the games get unveiled at the event, so we prefer some secrecy.
but its up to you. but if you release your game and make a lot of noise and maybe it gets popular, then you might be less likely to be chosen, as we want some surprises.

the game is yours and you own it, ultimately you do whatever you want we it.
we dont want to enforce a "dont release it before gamma" rule because that would be a bit much but yeah, lets just say wed prefer if you didnt. i think it cheapens the magic if everybody knows what all the games are ahead of time.

i hope this helps.

OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »

hey one switch, id appreciate it if you didnt answer questions for us.
thanks.

Sorry!!
jclaine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 06:17:04 PM »

"The game may be a Windows .exe or Mac .app, and must use an installer if ANY additional files are required to play."

Ok so let me get this straight, I'm currently a little confused. Does the JoyToKey install have to be wrapped in our game install or can the J2k count as our install, then use a self contained .exe to play the game and read for those keys defined by J2K?
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »

did you read ANY of the rules or FAQs before asking all those questions?
i quote "The maximum game resolution is 1024×768."
so anything that isnt ABOVE 1024x768 is fine. yeah?
black leatherboxes are alright. you can use any aspect ration you want as long as it dosent EXCEED the MAXIMUM resolution.

Thought it would be clear from the context of my other questions, guess it wasn't:

The reason I'm asking is that if I'm going to the trouble of building a game, I want people to be able to play it. Some people have laptops with fucked up standard resolutions and aspect ratios, so I'd want the game to support *any* display mode - 320x240 or 1920x1200 or whatever - so that anyone can play it. A strict reading of the rules says this would disqualify me; but it seems reasonable that a game *designed for*, say, 640x480, would be eligible even if the configuration program (outside the game) lets you tell it to run at some other resolution.

Anyway, worst case I can just lock it at 1024x768 and add resolution support to it after GAMMA 4, so it's no big deal.

Thanks for the other clarifications!

fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »

oh, ok, misunderstanding.
yes, your game can support higher resolution for any eventual release you end up doing, but we'd appreciate it if what you submit to gamma ultimately just boots at or under the max res and just stay there.

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 05:08:06 AM »

Hello.
I was wondering what operating system the games need to run on. I have XP. I also have GameMaker 6.1, and some of you may know of the problems it has with Vista. I can convert my game, but I can't test in on that OS. Is that likely to be a problem?

I wasn't going to use GM, but laziness won out...

(Also, the forum won't let me upload my avatar. Where can I find what restrictions are on this?)

jclaine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »

"The game may be a Windows .exe or Mac .app, and must use an installer if ANY additional files are required to play."

Ok so let me get this straight, I'm currently a little confused. Does the JoyToKey install have to be wrapped in our game install or can the J2k count as our install, then use a self contained .exe to play the game and read for those keys defined by J2K?

Any insight on this Fish?
moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »

Any insight on this Fish?

Hm, I think we need to revise this rule again... my bad.  I'm working on a clearer rewrite, so stay tuned.

Hand Any Key

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic