Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:29:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Backworld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Backworld [FINISHED]  (Read 51964 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

It's a pretty interesting game. Some levels seemed to work better than others, but overall it was a fairly solid experience, and impressive for the ammount of time you had to work on it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »

Thanks guys, we're really happy you appreciate it. Embarrassed

Melly, I fully agree with you some levels work better than others. I believe in situations where time is your most valuable asset and you try a new idea and it does not work as well as you'd hoped, you have two options: either cut the idea and risk having very little or no content at all at the end, or try and polish the idea and risk having an uneven or altogether mediocre experience.

For Backworld the idea of the core mechanic came up before anything else. The first half of the development time was spent coming up with ideas to use the core mechanic and implementing the tech required, most of the second half was spent making levels. We did not have an all-encompassing plan of what kind of gameplay we wanted to focus on or what kind of challenges we wanted to provide, rather we just tossed around ideas and implemented what we thought we could pull off within the timeframe. After that we went - perhaps a little too much - with the latter solution of keeping all levels and polishing them, which is why the game might feel a bit uneven or erratic in it's treatment of the core mechanics at times.

We will continue working on this in some form and I hope that whatever we decide to make of it a more generous timeframe will give us opportunity to find a focus and throw away ideas that does not fit with it. As such, any detailed feedback anyone would give us would be helpful.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »

Here's another guy that likes your game! I don't normally like this sort of puzzle game, but the mechanic you guys made allows for a lot of player autonomy and feels very natural. Nice work!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »

Liked: This is a great entry. Some very interesting game mechanics, and the puzzles genuinely take same thinking to solve. Excellent use of assets, they mesh well with the games core theme.

Disliked: Lots of graphical glitches, although not surprising given the time restraints, and the sounds were really quiet on my setup.

Conclusion: Very solid entry. Good all-round work, and the assets actually looked like they were made for this game. I can see this getting plenty of votes. A real contender.  Gentleman

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »

Thanks guys!

For those of you experiencing glitches, it would be really helpful if you could write a line or two about what those glitches were and something about your setup, especially what graphics card you are using.

Can't promise that I will be able to fix everything, but if I can reproduce it there is a better chance I'll be able to try, at least.
jakobrogert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »

Yay! Not surprised to find you here, Saint - and happy to do so! This looks oddball and interesting!
zorrito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »

When I played the first level (the tutorial) the character went upwards as if the gravity was inverted, and the sprite was flickering. I could move left and right but I couldn't do anything.

Then I ran the exe with Compatibility Mode set to "Windows 98 / Windows ME" and it worked fine.

Specs:
Win XP Pro, SP3, all latest updates.
Installed .NET framework 3.5, lates visual c++ 2008 redistributable package, latest DirectX.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800
GPU: On board NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 with latest drivers.
2 gigs of RAM
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »

Thanks zorrito! This sort of information is really good for our continued development of the game.

clvadan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »

Just came across this. Congrats on a very nice game and I'm glad a bigger version is in the works.

I need some help though, on the cryptic caves level. How do you get to the alternate exit (the old rabbit in the cave)?

Thanks
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »

Just came across this. Congrats on a very nice game and I'm glad a bigger version is in the works.

I need some help though, on the cryptic caves level. How do you get to the alternate exit (the old rabbit in the cave)?

Thanks

Glad you liked it!

Well, it involves using the frog. Hope that helps (if not, ask again, we're not going to be ridicilous about it). Smiley

clvadan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »

Yeah I had figured out that you have to use the frog, problem being that I can't get it to the other side...

By the way, don't know if it's a bug or not, but you can jump while holding that plant thing (that usually prevents you from jumping) if you press jump and then interact in quick succession. That's how I finished one of the other levels incidentally (the count magnus one). Without that it probably would have been incredibly hard.

Thanks again for the quick reply and best of luck with the game (how is it coming along?).
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »

Yeah I had figured out that you have to use the frog, problem being that I can't get it to the other side...

By the way, don't know if it's a bug or not, but you can jump while holding that plant thing (that usually prevents you from jumping) if you press jump and then interact in quick succession. That's how I finished one of the other levels incidentally (the count magnus one). Without that it probably would have been incredibly hard.

Thanks again for the quick reply and best of luck with the game (how is it coming along?).

There are two things in the level that you can pick up, and while you cannot walk on them the frog can. I'll leave it at that  Wink

Thanks for reporting the bug! I'll take care of it as soon as possible. As for our continued work on the game, it's going fine although it's mostly temporary art and random level mechanics right now so nothing looks quite as pretty as the rabbits... But we'll get there.
clvadan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »

There are two things in the level that you can pick up, and while you cannot walk on them the frog can. I'll leave it at that  Wink

That did the trick, thanks. Feeling pretty dumb right about now. The funny thing is that I had tried moving the object in a more complicated way but it never occurred to me that I could just pick it up.

Also, apparently the jump interact bug applies to any object in the game.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:41:04 AM by clvadan » Logged
Lavir_the_Whiolet
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

I liked the music especially...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic