Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:53:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]  (Read 59793 times)
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

Updated the first post with a new screenshot showing the result of the last 2 days of work. This update includes static monsters and better tooltips that will allow me to show some useful info about items and monsters for the combat system.

Right now I'm starting to implement a first version of the combat system. I already tested it using a paper prototype and it seemed good enough for implementation.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

Looking good!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:34 AM »

I like the floor reflections on that Lich screen shot. I loved Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master 'back in the day' so looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Andrius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »

Particularily I would reduce a little bit the reflection, it's a pretty cool effect but in cases you arenĀ“t looking for a wet floor i think it would be better with less of it and you'll get a more clear image!

Looks aweeesome dude!

SimpleSyrup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

I hope you're still working on this. This game HAS to be made!!!  Kiss  Kiss
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:50:05 PM »

Ooooh, I like how this is looking! Kiss Keep working on it!

cabalistik
Level 0

Red Assault developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »

This looks incredibly awesome, really hope you'll make a full game. If I may say though, I think the monsters should be a bit more detailed.  Still, looks great and good luck!
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »

Cool,. looks real good so far.  Nice object interaction interface, and use of minimalism. GO!

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

Fantastic. Grin

Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »

Whew! I'm finally back after working a lot on this project. There were lots of things I had to learn in these past few days but I managed to implement the battle system. There are some missing things like the visual effects for the enemies attacks, ranged combat and defensive items but it shouldn't be a problem to add it now.

I updated the main post with a new video showing the battle system and I also updated the development log with a detailed explanation of it.

Finally, I'd like to thank again for the comments! I'm taking notes of the suggestions and criticism and I'll analyze them and see what can be done but first I'm trying to finish implementing all the game planned features so that I may release at least some of the game levels before the deadline in the worst case.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 05:23:42 AM »

I really like the way enemies arrange themselves on the screen in that video. The attack interface looks great too (apart from all the clicking on the inventory).

Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 07:18:18 AM »

I really like the way enemies arrange themselves on the screen in that video. The attack interface looks great too (apart from all the clicking on the inventory).

I agree, clicking every time on the inventory to attack is a bit annoying. I just need to activate the inventory keyboard shorcuts that will allow the player to transfer items from the inventory bar to the mouse cursor instantly. Then all you have to do is press the key corresponding to the desired item and click on the target.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »

This looks really spiffy. I'm liking your attention to detail.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »

Keyboard shortcuts are the way to go. The 1-0 F1-F12 slots at the bottom suggest you've already figured this out. Maybe also implement double-clicking activation?

Monsters rearranging during combat is awesome. The effects for the fire sword were also cool. I wasn't sure how the cool down on the weapons was working, though. I had this almost hilarious mental image of the monsters standing there patiently while you draw one sword, strike a blow, sheath it, pull the next sword, strike a blow, until they were all on cool down.

The potion Health bar and the rock that seems to indicate when it's your turn are snazzy touches that fill vital, cliche RPG roles neatly and easily.

Will this be a randomly generated crawler like dungeon hack, or are you going for something with smartly designed static dungeons?

-SirNiko
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »

Monsters rearranging during combat is awesome. The effects for the fire sword were also cool. I wasn't sure how the cool down on the weapons was working, though. I had this almost hilarious mental image of the monsters standing there patiently while you draw one sword, strike a blow, sheath it, pull the next sword, strike a blow, until they were all on cool down.

This is probably because the current implementation doesn't include any visual feedback for monster attacks. They are attacking but their turns are happening instantly on the video. I'm working on add this needed feedback as soon as possible.

Concerning the weapon cooldowns, all weapons enter the cooldown state when they are used and the player has to wait a certain number of turns to use it again. The sequential use of all weapons in fact happens in the game but the player has to correctly chain attacks by hitting the enemies with the correct attack types. Each time the player hits a monster weakness he scores a critical hit and the turn continues. If the player misses or hits an enemy with an incorrect attack type then the turn ends.

Will this be a randomly generated crawler like dungeon hack, or are you going for something with smartly designed static dungeons?

I'm planning to use static dungeons but I can't guarantee they'll be smartly designed Smiley
This is mostly because I want to include some puzzles and scripted events and also because I think I can do a better job of making different dungeon settings by hand-crafting them than by using random dungeon generators.
Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »

Suggestion:  It would be nice to be able to select a 'default' item, so you can just keep clicking without having to hit buttons or drag between each attack.  Maybe right-click on an object to make it the default, then right-click to use your default item on the target...  unless you're planning to use right-clicks for something else, of course.

Alternatively, hold a key and click to select your default item, and clicking on a monster with no item selected uses your default.  Something like that.

EDIT:  Ooo, I have a better idea!  Make it so if you right-click on an enemy (or if you click with nothing selected, if you want to use right-click for something else) it uses the first available item in your inventory, starting from the left -- that is, the first one that isn't recharging, of course.  This way, you can arrange your inventory to form a 'default combo' of attacks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:27:12 PM by Aquillion » Logged
owl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »

You don't even know how long I've wanted a game like this to play, thank you dream granter! I absolutely love the style of simple graphic and the fighting system. Those little goblins are adorable, too. I'll definely be trying this out when it is released!  Gentleman*adds to list*
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »

New update! I uploaded a first build for testing purposes that includes a mini dungeon showing everything I did so far. Bug reports, suggestions and criticisms are welcome. I also updated the gameplay video but I recommend you play the test build since the video has no sounds.

EDIT:  Ooo, I have a better idea!  Make it so if you right-click on an enemy (or if you click with nothing selected, if you want to use right-click for something else) it uses the first available item in your inventory, starting from the left -- that is, the first one that isn't recharging, of course.  This way, you can arrange your inventory to form a 'default combo' of attacks.

That's a very good idea! I'll definitely try it, thanks!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »

I liked that! I died to those damn oozes though.  Cheesy

One quick suggestion: When you have no "actions" left, your turn should end automatically, it took me a bit to figure out I had to press Space.
Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 05:18:27 AM »

Fun!  I didn't die when I was reduced to 0 hp, though (even though monsters kept damaging me, it stayed at 0.)  Is this a feature of the beta for bugtesting, or is it a bug?

Also, I ran out of weapons for a while.  Luckily I was able to find the Ice Axe and Fire Sword, but should the player perhaps have some way to attack even without a weapon?  Of course, perhaps dying when you run out of weapons is part of the game...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic