Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:36:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]  (Read 59675 times)
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »

Updated the first post with a link to new executables that fix a menu bug and some performance problems on low end machines.

Also I intend to resume development on this game soon (maybe next week). The final version should include 16 levels, some kind of save system, new dungeon features, puzzles, more visual effects for the different types of weapons and also for ranged attacks.

Thanks for playing!
Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »

I get an 'application cannot intialize error' when I attempted to run it.
XP 64, running an Nvidia 9800 GTX.  AMD Phenon II quad core.  4 gigs of ram.  It doesn't seem to load anything, as soon as I hit the exe the MessageBox with the error pops up.
I get the same error.  I also have XP 64, a quad core, and 4 gigs of RAM.  Happens with both fullscreen and windowed versions and with both the optimized and non-optimized .exes.

Error is always the same:  "The application has failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002).  Clock on OK to terminate the application."

And I was able to run that early demo, too.

Updated the first post with a link to new executables that fix a menu bug and some performance problems on low end machines.

Also I intend to resume development on this game soon (maybe next week). The final version should include 16 levels, some kind of save system, new dungeon features, puzzles, more visual effects for the different types of weapons and also for ranged attacks.
Hmm, since a lot of the fun of the game seems to be collecting new and interesting varieties of weapons (at least from what I recall of the demo)...

It'd be neat to have multi-target attacks (which hit every enemy on the screen, or maybe even ranged multi-target attacks that hit every enemy on the next few spaces in front of you.)  And perhaps status inflicting attacks, like poison or sleep or stunning or draining attacks or whatever.

...well, those are all kind of generic suggestions, I guess.  But it's hard to resist.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:31:38 PM by Aquillion » Logged
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »

Thanks for the info! Now I think I have some idea on what is happening. Looks like the lua5.1.dll included in the game package was compiled using Visual C++ so it requires the VC runtime.

Now I downloaded the Lua 5.1 source and generated the lua dll using mingw so it shouldn't require any extra dlls. Could you to try replace the lua5.1.dll with this file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2683196/lua5.1.dll

Dragonmaw
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

Quick question: Is this procedural? I didn't see if it was in previous pages.
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »

The dungeons are not procedural as I don't have much experience on procedural dungeon generation. For that reason I decided to design static dungeon levels that allowed me to insert some hand-crafted puzzles that I wouldn't know how to do if I were using a procedural dungeon generator. The disadvantage is that the game became more linear and it has less replay value but I think it can provide some good fun for a while.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »

Really enjoying this. I like the combat system. I am, however, stuck.
Admittedly I don't have much patience for pressure plate puzzles. I would like to get past level 2 though. I've tried everything. Tell me what the 3 plates in the south-west do please Beg
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »

Ok, I will give you a some hints and the solution in the spoiler tags below.

Hover here for hint 1

Hover here for hint 2

Hover here for solution

But I think you'll hate me after you get through this puzzle and get to the next one Cheesy.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

Thanks for the tips. However I discovered your lua files and swallowed the red pill, so there's no stopping me now.

Unfortunately my progress wasn't saved when I quit, but I'll take another stab at it tomorrow.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »

I tried the updated performace version of your game and it told me i don't have SDL.dll.  I'm a little wary of downloading dll's randomly and installing them so if you have a link or an idea of what i can do, let me know.  I'd very much like to play your game. 

Note that i have an integrated intel graphics chip.

Also note that i have tried your original compo entry version and i managed to start the game, but it ran verrry slowly.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »

Hmm, did you unpack the executables on the same folder where you extracted the original compo version? (the optimized version zip contains only the executables for the game, I think I forgot to mention it on the first post, sorry)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »

That looks amazing!  I'd love to see it develop further...

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »

Oops, nope.  I didn't download the compo version.  I'll try that now...

EDIT: There!  That worked.  Quite well, in fact.  Though i died on a Goblin Warrior.  Shoulda kept all those rusty daggers...

Going to try again.

EDIT 2: So, i realize that you hate debugging, but i found a bug.

I found the exit from the first level and went to the second level (mostly because i couldn't tell it was an exit and went in anyways), but i wanted to go back to make sure i didn't miss anything so i immediately went back to the first level.  Then suddenly all of the tiles except for the exit tile and the door before the exit tile disappeared.  I could wander through the first level if i used the map, but there were no walls.  

Then, i went back to the second level, and the same thing happened.  The exit tile was there, so was the door tile, but nothing else.

The picture above is what i took right after returning to the first level.  There should be walls immediately around me, plus there should be walls past the door tile you see here.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:11:10 AM by feeblethemighty » Logged

FungusTrooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »

Just wanted to pop in and say I just met the Jester. I loved this game, and am looking forward to seeing a later version (with a save system!!!!!!).

Good job!
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »

I found the exit from the first level and went to the second level (mostly because i couldn't tell it was an exit and went in anyways), but i wanted to go back to make sure i didn't miss anything so i immediately went back to the first level.  Then suddenly all of the tiles except for the exit tile and the door before the exit tile disappeared.  I could wander through the first level if i used the map, but there were no walls.  

Then, i went back to the second level, and the same thing happened.  The exit tile was there, so was the door tile, but nothing else.

The picture above is what i took right after returning to the first level.  There should be walls immediately around me, plus there should be walls past the door tile you see here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the bug report! I already fixed and updated the optimized executables (I didn't even need to do any debugging Cheesy). The bug was just a boolean variable I forgot to reset that tells the game to build the display list for the current level.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »

I'm glad you could fix it so easily!  This game is great.  I'm going to give it another go.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

Played the game for a while, and it was quite good. I got stuck on the second level where I found passages blocked by pits and a bunch of pressure plates I had no idea what to do with. I had tried placing items on them but nothing seems to happen.

The combat system is fun, as is the resource management. A great effort. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »

I couldn't figure out the pressure plates in the first dungeon. After putting a couple swords on each and trying to open the door that way, I dumped my entire inventory on one of them before learning that putting more than 9 items on one tile deletes the 10th, making me lose the key I needed to progress.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »

I couldn't figure out the pressure plates in the first dungeon. After putting a couple swords on each and trying to open the door that way, I dumped my entire inventory on one of them before learning that putting more than 9 items on one tile deletes the 10th, making me lose the key I needed to progress.
I did the same thing.  Without spoiling too much, the trick to the pressure plates on the first floor is that you need heavy items you find on the second floor.

For the second floor pressure plates (the group of three) listen for audio feedback.  Just like Zelda games.

hi
Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »

I'm interested in this game, but where is version 1/15 to download?  Crazy
Krystman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »

I played through the first level and had to quit somewhere at the second.

I like this game very much. The visuals are pretty awesome. Extremely pixelated, yet hi-rez feel. Good job!

I also like the interface. How you were able to break everything down to just that HUD - excellent.

Nitpick - why do I always have to manually pick up a weapon before striking?  I see that other people also commented on this already. Maybe I missed it somewhere in the tutorials. I haven't really paid as much attention to them as I probably should have.

I'm also wondering if the game's mechanics are able to sustain interest over a longer period. Already at the second level, I'm getting a suspicion that I know how the rest will play out? Is that true? How many levels are there?

Still definitively one of the strongest entries IMHO. Outstanding work! Congratulations and thank you!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic