Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:03:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Turbo Quest [FINISHED] (Further updates in Devlog Thread)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Turbo Quest [FINISHED] (Further updates in Devlog Thread)  (Read 29438 times)
cucumbur
Level 0

ask me about my prairie dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »

Same error as everyone else. Loved the game though! I always love games like this and Linear RPG, that take the piss out of RPG's and their grinding but manage to make it fun anyway.

my error:
Code:
for object node:

Error in code at line 22:
       draw_sprite(h_bar_large, floor((ticks / clear_count) * 25), x - 90, y + 58);

at position 46: Division by 0.

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

for object node:

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

Yeah, I think I know exactly what caused that bug now (One simple misnumber).
Since I don't currently have access to my dropbox, just change the entry for node 57 in the turboquest.txt file as follows:

&0057,101,11/05,0056/0057/0059/0057
@26/26/26,106/107/108/109,00,020,000
#Cliff^s/Shadow;0

This should fix the 1/0 problem.
However, there is a mapping error I found while fixing this. Please also change the entry for node 90 as follows:

&0090,101,04/12,0127/0090/0091/0090
@40/39/39,064/065/146/170,00,020,000
#Poisoned/Fields;0

Sorry about that. I probably should have checked better and turned it in late. Sad

BUT I FIXED IT NOW SO IT'S COOL RIGHT GUYS?  Who, Me? /exaggeratedguilt

FungusTrooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

Hooray, finished it, took just under 30 mins.

Hooray!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »

An interesting entry. I agree that there could be more meaningful decisions to be made. Right now all you really do is move from square to square, going back to heal and then clear more squares.

It's still entertaining for a short while.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 07:12:12 AM »

Weird, when I try to play this it hangs on the Game Maker loading bar at startup!

The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »

I thought the complete lack of meaningful decisions was the most interesting part of the game. Sure, I'm just walking along a line to an identical rectangle with some words on it... But I really want to know where these identical rectangles are leading! The subtle changes in color and the names of each area are really all I need to go on a grand adventure. And, sadly, the combat is about as complex as most RPGs I've played. There's something horrifically addicting about filling up those little bars.

My play was cut short by the well known divide by zero error, but maybe I'll fix those nodes and go back in. Must see it through, after all.

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

I thought the complete lack of meaningful decisions was the most interesting part of the game. Sure, I'm just walking along a line to an identical rectangle with some words on it... But I really want to know where these identical rectangles are leading! The subtle changes in color and the names of each area are really all I need to go on a grand adventure. And, sadly, the combat is about as complex as most RPGs I've played. There's something horrifically addicting about filling up those little bars.

My play was cut short by the well known divide by zero error, but maybe I'll fix those nodes and go back in. Must see it through, after all.

Yes, that gets at the pun in the game itself, but if within those constraints one wishes the 'game' to be engaging there needs to be meaningful (and perceivable) choices, just because everything but the core mechanic of an mmorpg is stripped does not mean there aren't interesting choices of how to risk your resources or spend your attention, to balance risk vs reward in those kinds of games. - otherwise why make it interactive at all? Unless it is only meant as a one time joke.
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »

This game is ridiculously compelling for such a simple concept.  Even though I got the divide by zero error and can guess exactly what the rest of the game is like, I've got this incredibly strong urge to go back to it having applied the fix and see it through to the end.

And I loved the place names, and the way they managed to make those simple boxes feel like actual places, with histories and secrets of their own.

Good work! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »

I would just like to thank everyone who responded in this thread for their feedback and opinions, they really helped make the game better/keep the project going.

I should be getting Game Maker reinstalled any day now, so I'll probably open up a thread in the Devlog forum when that happens. First thing I'll fix that n/0 bug and upload the fixed version to the dropbox server, then the adding of features and expansion of options shall occur.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:19 AM »

Weird, when I try to play this it hangs on the Game Maker loading bar at startup!

I thought I had this, but it turned out it was just taking a very long time to start loading.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »

Liked: Cliffs of Insanity Hand Thumbs Up Left Super simple casual gameplay. Great visual, I really liked the enemies flying out of the node as they died.

Disliked: Very few options. I know it's mainly a passive experience but a few classes and/or upgrade choices would have been nice.

Conclusion: Great fun. I know a few people who would love this and I'll be recommending it to them.

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

Holy {static} 18 people voted for this game. Shocked Wow. That's, uh, actually quite a few. Gratitude. It is yours. Gentleman

I fixed the game-breaking bugs (and one that wasn't but deprived the player of money) and replaced the file on the link a couple days back but forgot to write about it for some reason.

I am beginning work on a class select-y type thing this weekend, as well as a much less linear campaign file. And maybe (quite improbably) an editor so it doesn't take an entire month just to finalize everything. When one or more of these things happens, there will be a thread in the devlogs forum to announce it in.

[oh hey I can put this in my signature. I feel like such a badass now.]

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »

Holy {static} 18 people voted for this game. Shocked Wow. That's, uh, actually quite a few. Gratitude. It is yours. Gentleman

Looking forward to a new version!
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »

Just please do not take away from the stylistic simplicity of the game! The absurd minimalism is what makes the entire game!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ejfarraro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

First time poster; this was one of my favorite games in the contest.  Coming from a past WoW player, I felt right at home with the grinding.

Unlike a lot of people on this thread, I think this game would be more fun if it were more complicated.  When I think about "how could we make this idea a mainstream hit?", you need to have more interaction.  There are a lot of obvious things you could do, with equipment, party members, decisions to make (like Dungeons of Fayte), etc...  I know you want to keep it simple, but my mind likes to go nuts.

I also like the idea I heard suggested above where you can make many variations of this game.  The base could be used for a standard fantasy RPG (as it is now), but also easily adapted to other genres: sci-fi, old west, etc..  Lots of possibilities.

Anyway, very impressive work.  I'm keeping an eye on this thread for future updates.
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 11:00:21 PM »

Well, I finally made enough progres to warrant an update, so Turbo Quest will now be relayed through its devlog thread here.

New, improved, and somewhat experimental version atm, with zero added content but lots of nice tweaks. Thank you all for your past, present, and hopefully future feedback and support.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic