Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:03:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2TinyMMO [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TinyMMO [FINISHED]  (Read 19097 times)
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »

** Edit: 1/11/10 with new screenshot **

There are seven acknowledged wonders of the world.  You are about to witness the eighth.

Now, without no doubt.  This is TinyMMO!

Features:
No executable!
No flash required!
No browser required!  ...no wait you do need a browser.
Patented walk around and talk functionality.
Scrumptious graphics by dbb, oryx, fifth,BigLon,Geeze,MashPotato,Skab,Oddball,KittenEater,Hinchy,Dom2D and 0rel (so far...)
Lots more stuff when I think of it.
**MMO stands for Minimally Multiplayer Online

WASD will move your guy.  Hit ENTER to talk.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:40:01 PM by Sanojian » Logged

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

Wow my host crashed 30 seconds after posting this.  Restarted it.  I am starting to think maybe I am overpaying for it...

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:07:45 AM »

It's down again dude!
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »

Holy smokes!  I wasn't expecting like 25 players all at once.  I need some kind of limit per zone I reckon. 

I'll get it back up again as soon as I can.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »

SimpleSyrup has started a trend.

Also, not getting anything when I click that link.

-SirNiko
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »

down again... I was pretty excited...

What host are you in? I've had good experiences with interadvantage, though it's a bit expensive..

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »

I am using MochaHost because my server is in Java.  It seems to become unresponsive after about 10 players join which works out to about 5 requests per second.  Not too good.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:36:40 AM by Sanojian » Logged

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

Interadvantage supports Java too... check http://slashie.net/pixal.

Dont know what's your request model since pixal doesnt make as many requests per second, (using comet or intensive ajax?) but it may work...

SimpleSyrup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

I'm using SliceHost, personally, while developing Hubris Quest. May go up to EC2 at launch, we'll see.
Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »

I am using AJAX.  Its making a request every two seconds.  The response is just a couple of K.  I figured that wouldn't be too bad.  I was apparently wrong.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »

Ooo, slicehost. I had an mmo on there in mid-development, but never fully tested the scale. I am thinking of switching to ARP or linode in the future, though.

If you have 25 connections Sanojian, it could be roughly 100k a second, which can be a lot, depending on how much the host can handle. It might not be finished sending everything before the next request comes in, and with no time given to catch up, it will always be behind.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »

It's interesting, but holy crap it's sluggish in this computer I'm using.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »

I can load it and get in. Nobody else was online at the time, but even when playing by myself I was getting lots of weird rubberbanding. Nonetheless, I was able to navigate to the Inn. Probably needs some sort of interface to show what you are typing when you enter "chat mode", but I'm sure you knew that.

I'm thinking maybe these online games could be inspiring a later compo for online games (not necessarily MMOs, just online multiplayer).

-SirNiko
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »

First Assemblee entry to make me actually laugh out loud! So congratulations there Beer! When I was online, it was me and a couple of wizards, and we were all stumbling about like we were on really heavy medication, and it kind of turned into a race to be front of the line for when the inn opens (you'd better implement that soon, because people are waiting). Hugely laggy, but you know that.

One thing, though: how do you log out? I logged in a few times, to see if that would improve my connection, and by the end there were several abandoned incarnations of myself just littering the landscape. They're still there for all I know.

All in all, strangely compelling, but I'd hesitate to call it a game yet. Wouldn't take much more though. If it was just sped up, and you had a bit of PvP action going on, I reckon it would pretty soon turn into a full-on riot. Like IRC but with swords. Starting to see why people play WoW, actually.

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »

I haven't had much time to work on it but I did manage to fix most of the lag problems.  Fixing them mostly involved removing my smarty-pants cheat detection code and making everything much simpler.  So feel free to cheat if you can figure out how.

Now I can work on designing some content!  This will primarily consist of asking my wife (who actually plays MMOs) to tell me what should be in it.

Oh and dbb, right now your character just goes *poof* after 5 minutes of doing nothing.  I hope nobody has gotten too attached to their spastic little wizards.

Kyliroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

This is fantastic hahaha, had so much fun even though there is nout to do yet heheheh!

- no -
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »

Ten players! It's getting hot in there!

And despite the lack of features and content, you can still get a game of tag or hide-and-seek going.

Okay, well, hide and seek doesn't work that well, but you can take it in turns to stand behind a tree.

prof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »

haha, yes this was the most fun i had in a MMO in .. well, long long time!

A tree and the inn is all needed Tongue

too bad exploiters played, so my invis spell did nog work : <
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

Yeah, Tiny MMO was way better back in the old days (last week) before all the n00bs turned up and ruined it.  Cool

prof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »

Yeah, Tiny MMO was way better back in the old days (last week) before all the n00bs turned up and ruined it.  Cool
totally. lets rage over all the new noobs, make an oldschool server ! (last week = oldschool ^^)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic