Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:26:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80332 times)
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »

I just lost a couple hours in this thing, it is pretty impressive  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

i made a quick screengrab map, because I got lost a lot starting out. It covers bakersville and the northern mountains:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/tocky/birdyworld.png
Ashkin
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »

I can see the river I made!

Great job, Fifth. I really wish you could make dungeons though. Thinking about continuing development after the compo? Well, hello there!

Also, how can I raise an area's strife level? I can only get it to level 1...
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 05:15:13 AM »

Wait, now that I'm looking at tocky's map and see a lot of holes filled since I first played, when it says that there's a void that I can't build in, does that mean someone else can still build there?

Also, here's the location of the first dungeon.  (At least the first dungeon I've found.)
http://timeforcute.com/cute/2010/01/birdyworldmap.png

hi
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 05:18:51 AM »

oh shit this thing is epic  WTF

also, how to build stuff? : o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:29:53 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:18 AM »

when it says that there's a void that I can't build in, does that mean someone else can still build there?
I only ever get this where I filled in a couple adjacent zones, so I think it's to keep you hogging all the land in an area - so other people can still build there, is my guess. I don't think you're allowed to fill in four areas that share a corner.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:40:46 AM by tocky » Logged
ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »

Whoah! I had no idea there were dungeons. I might have to grab this again.

Also, a mechanism for putting text on signs or being able to write what the gossip houses say would be cool (though abusable).
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 08:10:19 AM »

also, how to build stuff? : o
You just have to travel to a screen that has no data in it yet.  The dungeon is full of it all around, but even on the overworld, if you travel in any direction long enough you'll find some voids.  (I'm responsible for a good deal of the north areas.)

hi
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »

Shocked

This is awesome.  Yeah, i didn't find a dungeon either.  Or rather i found it but didn't know what it was and couldn't get to it so i left.

A lot of polish on this one.  Nicely done!

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »

Heh, thanks!
I'm glad to see it's got some appeal, even if a lot of it is kinda shaky.

I can see the river I made!

Great job, Fifth. I really wish you could make dungeons though. Thinking about continuing development after the compo? Well, hello there!

Also, how can I raise an area's strife level? I can only get it to level 1...

I guess I could continue, if at least to get all the stuff I had planned in and working.
And an area's potential strife level is determined as half the sum of the four screens around it.  If you get all four adjacent screens to 1, then you should get a 2 in the middle.  And from there it should snowball.
In retrospect, it can be a little tricky to get past 1 at first...

when it says that there's a void that I can't build in, does that mean someone else can still build there?
I only ever get this where I filled in a couple adjacent zones, so I think it's to keep you hogging all the land in an area - so other people can still build there, is my guess. I don't think you're allowed to fill in four areas that share a corner.

That's correct.  If you made at least two of the adjacent screens, you get the "not allowed" message.

I just lost a couple hours in this thing, it is pretty impressive  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

i made a quick screengrab map, because I got lost a lot starting out. It covers bakersville and the northern mountains:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/tocky/birdyworld.png

Heheh, that map is awesome!  It's totally what I should have done.
There were at least supposed to be "info" shops that would give you such a map, but I didn't get 'em working in time... Ah, well.

And sorry for putting the first dungeon in the water like that.  I didn't expect to actually get to place the dungeon entrance on that screen, but I guess that's how it goes.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »

There were at least supposed to be "info" shops that would give you such a map, but I didn't get 'em working in time... Ah, well.

Don't tell me you're not going to continue working on this!  Cause you should.

And sorry for putting the first dungeon in the water like that.  I didn't expect to actually get to place the dungeon entrance on that screen, but I guess that's how it goes.

I'll forgive you just this once.  Now i'm going to go explore some more!  Wink

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »

It's maybe a little weird to be doing development updates after the competition's already ended, but...

I'm getting the info shop working!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »

It's maybe a little weird to be doing development updates after the competition's already ended...
I think all the mmo entries should get a little grace, this one in particular since the content is user-generated to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:13:54 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »

Wow, my little siren actually got used!
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »

Fifth, this is amazingly stylish and I love the gameplay. More feedback when I've spent more time with it.  Beer!
Ashkin
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

Development continues? Grin
I've been playing around in the dungeon, creating DEATH.
MrRoboman
Level 0

That egg just hatched a man!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »

This game is fantastic! I love that the world is user generated, and I think the birdy might be my favorite hero of this compo so far.

I used the hammer to get to a new area, and when I returned to that screen the rocks had regenerated. So my game became that screen and the infinite void to the south. I started making some screen though.

Great job!
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

how the hammer works:
when you hit the hammer button your guy goes into hammer mode, and any impassible tiles he walks into switch to passable tiles - you can make bridges and tunnels ands stuff. the number next to the hammer is the number of tiles you can switch. you can only switch tiles native to the screen you're on - so impassible stuff around the edges which belongs to neighboring screens will still stop you - but, for instance, if there's some mountains or a river you can't pass, local to the screen you're on, you should be able to cross it with the hammer.

if you return to the same screen later the stuff will appear to be impassible again, but if you hit it with your sword it'll clear up. this also works if you find places where other people have cleared stuff with the hammer.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »

How does strife work? Doesn't seem to do anything for me.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »

Strife limits how dangerous you can make a screen...do you mean something else?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »

Well, when I up the strife number nothing seems to change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic