Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:52:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Super Treasure Ball Gasm [FINISHED] + PLON [BONUS]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Treasure Ball Gasm [FINISHED] + PLON [BONUS]  (Read 5490 times)
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »

A simple collect the tokens game made with Game Maker 7 Lite.

Screenshots:

FINAL list of Awesomeness:

aueft
Fifth
Pencerkoff
Arachne
Healy
Amidos2005
-N
pgil
Overkill
BigLon
FrankieSmileShow
Markham
HED
Jrhill
lulzapricot
ETG
mr.mnml
0rel
GenericUser
Kren
Bob le Moche
Blot
CASinclair
Stian Stark

FINAL V1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3470716/STBG.zip
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:13:39 AM by jamatthews » Logged
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »

I'm a fan of these kind of games, but not so much of the controls in this one. It seems like if I tap a direction, it is the equivalent of tilting the table entirely in that direction. The ball will slowy accelerate in the direction I tapped until hitting full speed. In something like monkey ball, you can tilt just a little bit, to maintain control of the ball.

jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »

You can use the shift button to "untilt" the table. I guess that's something I should mention as early as possible (possibly on the 1st level).

And perhaps work on the controls so that the shift button is not needed. Thanks for the feedback.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I have to agree with saluk on this one, I can appreciate that pressing the arrow keys is like tilting the table, but you have to consider the fact that if the player isn't pressing a key, he/she would want the table to return to the flat position.  That, mixed with some simple friction, and this should be quite playable.

Also enjoying the use of those buttons!  As a suggestion, you may want to cut off some of the gray bottom half of those buttons, so they don't look so funny.  I would have done that back in part one, I just didn't realize they looked so odd like that.  Or maybe it works and I'm paranoid.

-PENCERKOFF

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »

I don't know whether this is one of those things where it's been tried in the genre before and doesn't work, but my first thought is that mouse control for tilt should be a lot more intuitive and easy to play... maybe a visual indicator on-screen somewhere of how much tilt there is? I guess it's not so easy to appreciate without a 3D board, but neither is the keyboard motion, to be honest... :/

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

The new control system should be working properly in all levels but Wonky Table where it is only partially implemented (you can't hold down 2 arrow keys at the same time on Wonky Table yet). There's also another 2 levels added. The new control system completely changes the feel of the game and makes it much easier, so I'll need to rethink alot of stuff, and do quite a bit of tweaking.

I think the buttons look great.

I'm biased against mouse imput because my mouse sucks.  Cheesy
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »

New control system (should be) now fully in place. Up to 25 levels now. I'm aiming for 50 levels so I'm effectively halfway through as far as level design go. Some additional tweaks to gameplay such as increasing the gravity.

EDIT: Argh, I put the wrong ball back on when I edited the level "Don't fall off".  Cry
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:37:33 PM by jamatthews » Logged
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »

Awesome!  Played the the 15 level demo.  Some of the bomb levels were quite difficult, then I discovered the function of the Shift Key, helped a lot.  And it was sweet to take revenge on those bombs with the red orb/bomb/flames of doom!

I am glad someone found a use for some of me tiles/art.  Smiley

Now I gotta try out this new version.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »

Up to 30 levels. Starting to try and get it to come together graphically now, especially the backgrounds. Definitely want some more variations on the tiles as much as I love Overkill's wall tile, so Jrhill's tiles are likely to become more prominent in the game.

I'm not 100% convinced by the crumbling tiles, although they seem to be ok for the most part. I have to come up with an extra 2 levels if I remove them though.  Cheesy
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »

I've added a 2 player mode and credits at the end now. Player 2 uses WASD keys.

Not that much time left and I still haven't started on the sound.  Crazy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:10:15 PM by jamatthews » Logged
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »

I don't know if I'm going to have another test build for everyone to play, but I've updated the list of awesomeness. Here's a few extra screenshots as well.

The game currently consists of:

Normal Game Mode: 34 levels including Final Boss
2 Player Competition: 10 levels
2 Player Co-Op: 5 levels
Extra "Vertigo" Levels: 5 levels

I'd like the finished version to have at least 6 more Normal levels, 5 more Co-Op levels and 5 more Vertigo levels.
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:29 AM »

I'm sure some things could have been executed better, and there may be some bugs, but unless there's some major disaster I'm finished. The 1st post has been updated with the final zip.
jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »

PLON

This is a side project I worked on during assemblee. It's a platforming version version of Tron using just one asset. It's only for 2 players I'm afraid. Player 1 is Sir PLONelot and uses A and D to move left and right with W to jump. Player 2 is Madame de PLONpadour and uses the left and right arrows, with up to jump.

Although the concept was to have everything be used by the same sprite, I've added an option to change the sprite used with the C button. Warning this may provide seizure inducing and/or game breaking side effects. If anybody has good ideas for 16x16 sprites to add to it let me know. So far I have sprites from:

Overkill
Kren
Aueft
Arachne
Bob le Moche
KittenEater

The gameplay revolves around not touching anything but your own PLON field and even then you have to crap out a new PLON block within a certain time or you lose.

Made with Game Maker 7 Lite

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3470716/PLON.exe
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 09:53:16 PM »

Played through Super Treasure Ball Gasm as far as I could get without getting stumped (made it the aptly named "Dilemma" level).

I personally thought the most entertaining levels were those that used the control system to its fullest, such as the ones where you had to break through speed blocks or bounce off the walls to get through the "wind tunnel" backwards in time. Levels where you had to move very carefully and slowly across narrow platforms or  between bombs were too tedious, and didn't really make use of the acceleration/bouncing mechanics.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »

Liked: Very good variation of level objects allowed for some fun and inventive challenges.

Disliked: Some levels couldn't be failed. It was just a case of collecting the coins without any challenge. A simple time limit could have solved that.

Conclusion: A good game let down a little by a few tedious levels.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic