Well, finally, after some weeks of hard work, I am able to present GunFu Deadlands V1.0
First of all, thank you everybody for the fantastic feedback I got from the game when I released the beta on september. I have been finishing Version 1.0 of the game, and it is ready! As usual, I have uploaded it to SourceForge.
There are binaries for Windows, Linux and Mac.
Changes from V0.90:
- Turning: The enemies don't turn instantaneously like they used to. Now they need some milliseconds to turn around. Which means you can shoot them from the back. More strategic play. In addition, a small 2-pixel-long pointer marks the direction in which they are looking.
- Dodging: When the enemies shoot at you, they don't just stand there, they try to dodge your shots. Still not very good at it, but they try.
- New buildings: I tried to make the environment graphics simpler in order to fit the characters better... still looks kinda crappy, my artistic skills are quite limited. There are some new buildings.
- Lower difficulty: A lot of people pointed out that the game was extremely hard. Although it is still quite hard, I made it a bit easier than before.
- New level design: I modified the design of the levels a little bit, and thrown away the last two. Surviving levels 9 and 10 depended too much on luck, due to the bad level design. In this version they have been redesigned from scratch.
- Different levels for hard mode: Still, if you die in hard mode you have to start from the beginning. But now hard mode has its own levels, which are small variations of their equivalents in normal mode. This means new content to discover if you make it far enough. There is one level in normal mode that doesn't have a twin in hard mode. It has been skipped to make room for the new level 10 in hard. This new level is actually quite hard, and that is made on purpose. If you finish it, you will have won the game. This time I made sure that I myself am able to finish the whole game in hard mode before releasing it to the public, so you can too.
- Bullet time: Charging is now faster, you don't have to wait as long as before. The duration of the "jumps" is also a bit shorter, which means faster action! The bar that displays bullet time and remaining bullets is now a small bar floating over the head of the hero, so you don't have to look at the corner of the screen and loose sight of the hero in the middle of the action.
- Level editor: You can create your own Gunfu Deadlands level with the built in level editor. I have been wondering a lot if a user manual would be necessary, but I think you can find all the features by experimenting. Help is always available in mode "help" (Accessible by pressing F1 at any time inside the level editor). Features:
- Quicksave / quickload, for testing that corner in midlevel again and again
- Undo / Redo: I actually never used those while designing the levels myself, but could be useful
- Special options: Some suggestions from the feedback that never made it into the main game are available through the special options. For example, "one bullet per enemy" limits the amount of bullets you start with (the game becomes then extremely hard, you can't miss a single shot). The old turning code can also be activated through these options. There is an option "enemies with no bullets" that only works inside the level editor, it is meant for testing the level, not actually playing it.
- Due to a limitation of Love, you can only store your level files in an specific directory. The editor shows the path in the files menu. If you send your levels to your friends, they will have to copy them into this directory. Sorry about that.
- User level mode: This is where you play the levels made in the level editor.
I hope you like it. Most of these improvements have actually been ideas from you, guys, the feedback was really helpful. Thanks a lot!