Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:09:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)  (Read 59479 times)
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:23 PM »

http://64digits.com/users/ultim8p00/Katakijin_v1.1.rar

System Requirements aren't too steep. Basically if you have a current gen comp, i.e Pentium 4 with about 1 Gig of Ram, it works fine. It works even better if you have a fast video card.

The input I need is on bugs really. I've wasted too much time slacking off, so I'm kind of bug testing and developing as I go along. I also need feedback on the controls(which are customizable),the AI's intelligence, and game difficulty.

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:07:50 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:10:46 AM »

Ouch. I think you need a way to turn particle effects down. While beautiful, with all programs closed down it ran at about 30 FPS. That dropped to about 15 once I got to the white ninjas (And yeh, I have a gig of ram!).
The game lends itself REALLY well to moments of badassitude (Like getting a 20 hit combo in two attacks) which is totally cool.
It might have been the slowdown, but I think the block lasts for too long. I found myself blocking almost never because it was faster to dash backwards or jump away from the enemy's attacks.

Finally, dundundun, my game came to a very abrupt end, when, inside a building with like 3 of those white ninja fuckers, when I tried to climb a wall, reached the ceiling, and jumped. I automatically moved back and forth while going up through the ceiling, and I ended up inside of a wall, unable to do anything.

Edit: Actually! It was that last screenshot in your post that that bug occured
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:12:31 AM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:26 AM »

The game ran pretty well for me. But yes, it would probably make sense to have an option to turn down or turn off particle effects. I really liked this game though. But, even after I had read Inane's post before this, I still managed to accidentally get stuck in the wall.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »

Having played earlier demos of this, I can say that it seems to be coming along quite nicely. It did have some slowdown but admittedly I do only run 512mb ram so maybe that's to be expected. Decent atmosphere, combo system, graphical appearance and soundtrack. Are you going to so easily be able to run past so many of the enemies in the final version?

Anyways liked this a lot. Good stuff.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »

Looks interesting, I'm gonna give it a spin soonish...

ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

@Inane:
Thanks for the feedback! About the blocking system: Yeah, it is probably because of the slowdown. If the game was running full speed, you would have needed to block more often. Is your computer a pentium 4? Also, check your monitor refresh rate, as the game will read your refresh rate and set the room_speed to it. So if your refresh rate is only 30, the game will run at 30fps. Set it to 60 and see if there is a difference. As for the bug, I'm working on it. My collision system is kind of different as it doesn't use solid objects.

Again, to everybody with slowdown issues: Try to increase your screen refresh rate to above 60mhz if it isn't already at that.

@Moshboy

In the final game, it's pretty much going to be like Ninja Gaiden. Those who want to speed run can just ignore the enemies, but there are going to be some places where you can't run and you have to fight.

Sooo...did anybody get to the first boss? Was it easy? Hard? What did you guys think of the AI?
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »

Monitor refresh rates by default will be at least 60Hz

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »

I played an earlier beta version of this, and it was really fun. I'll have to try this new one soon...
Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

- After you die you should get back to the main menu immediatly, imo its a bit annoying that you have to skip the intro again.
- I found a strategie with whitch you can damage your enemys without taking damage  at all: Tap x and either left or right permanently.
So I was able to beat the boss with almost taking no damage.
- The game doesn't save my changed key-settings
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »

Okay, tried it, it runs REALLY slow for some reason. I tried fiddling with my screen refresh rate but it doesn't help.
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

- After you die you should get back to the main menu immediatly, imo its a bit annoying that you have to skip the intro again.
- I found a strategie with whitch you can damage your enemys without taking damage  at all: Tap x and either left or right permanently.
So I was able to beat the boss with almost taking no damage.
- The game doesn't save my changed key-settings

Really? I just tried what you said (tap x repeatedly holding arrows) and I got whooped badly by the boss and the white ninjas. I can't figure out how you did that. Can anyone else please verify that to make sure? I may have to revise enemy AI considerably...

Also Stij, was it on the same computer that you played the earlier build? If it ran fine that time it should run okay this time. Did you try closing all running programs?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:54:25 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »

Maybe it's just because I have a wide screen and everything is stretched, but you don't seem to be able to jump very high. This takes away from the great feeling of acrobatics and control Ninja Gaiden had.

But I don't usually like me remakes (or whatever you want to call this) so faithful. I want to see originality. New spins on old ideas. I don't want to be able to predict what the next screen will look like--and I have played, and still do, Ninja Gaiden over and over again, so it's not hard for me to guess.

Blocking, countering, and attacking felt sluggish, but it could have just been me not knowing how to play.

Being able to RUN behind a bush is cool from a graphical standpoint, but being able to FIGHT behind a bush is annoying. Same goes for the fence.

It's really fun, hope it gets more so.

Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »

Really? I just tried what you said (tap x repeatedly holding arrows) and I got whooped badly by the boss and the white ninjas. I can't figure out how you did that.
Its this dashing attack(right, right,x). While performing it you are invincible; so if you do it fast enough again and again, noone can hurt you.
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 06:12:31 PM »

Here is a "Hardfast" edition of the demo. Basically, I did a little bit of code optimization and those who had slowdown with the other version will hopefully notice a boost in speed.

Also, the AI is more aggressive this time around and I've also tried to fix the weird room bug. So far, I haven't encountered it with the hardfast version.

Download Katakijin_Demo(Hardfast).zip

If you had slowdown before, let me know how the hardfast version goes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:27:28 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:27 AM »

It worked fine, but I didn't notice any issues (besides that bug) being fixed.

But the game is way too hard. It should be hard, yes, and maybe even so hard that it takes the player a while to be able to finish the first level, but easy enough that I'm learning the mechanics and not the GAME OVER screen. I still can't get past that room where you flood the player with enemies, and I've tried skipping every enemy up to that point in order to have full health! I'm curious what after that.

And, also in that room, it got so chaotic that I couldn't tell if I was attacking, blocking, or what.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »

The fighting system is really cool and the graphics look great, but I could have used a few different kinds of enemies. It started to get repetitive for me after awhile of fighting the same guys. I don't know if you included more later in the level because I died before finishing, but if you don't you should add some more. I think it would be nice to include some extra lives for the player as well. I also agree with SplinterOfChaos, it seems like you can't jump very high and it seems ninjas should be good jumpers. It took me a little bit to figure out how to get out of that pit at the begining, too. Cool game though, I really liked it. Keep working on it and keep us posted with updates. Grin

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »

Jumping higher would probably negate the use of the wall running ability in some areas. I didn't mind the jumping personally - it's just a matter of getting used to it.

ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »

Jumping higher would probably negate the use of the wall running ability in some areas. I didn't mind the jumping personally - it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Yeah Moshboy, you are thinking exactly like I was. I did have crazy jumps in the game at first, but I thought of the wallruns and stuff, and I figured there would be no point. Also, many people don't realize that how high you jump depends on how long you hold the jump button. Additionally, you jump even higher if you dash first.

I think I've taken care of the weird room bug seeing as nobody has complained about it and I haven't come across it either. I'll go ahead and switch to a solids-based collision system and see how things work out...
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

Hey folks, here's an updated build of the demo. It should hopefully be completely bug free now. I've had a couple of playthoughs with now bugs. The volumectrl bug on loading has been fixed.

The big change here is using views. The game uses views now, so the entire screen doesn't have to be drawn. Theoretically, it SHOULD speed things up considerable. Gave it a shot and let me know.

http://64digits.com/users/ultim8p00/Katakijin_O_.zip
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »

Runs very smoothly now. Almost no slowdown on this crappy laptop Smiley.
Anyway,
I saw
Additionally, you jump even higher if you dash first.
So the first thing I do is see if you put a secret passage in that one area...

... and I ran up the sky Cry
You need to raise it, or put a hidden path there, my friend.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic