Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:47:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKali 9 - Action RPG *Project Rebirth*
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kali 9 - Action RPG *Project Rebirth*  (Read 7096 times)
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »

Genre: Action RPG
Platform: iPad, Windows & Mac

Pixoasis
www.kali9.com
facebook
twitter

*UPDATE: 06/04/14*
Kali 9 is officially back in action. I took some time off from the project to learn how to translate the program from AS2 to AS3 and made a few games in the process that would help me learn what I would need to complete this project. I've been working on the project for the past few months unofficially in just to see if I was ready to make the full on attempt at completing this game. So far i have a nearly complete cutscene engine and movement engine as well as the first town laid out. There still is a lot more work to do and I'm far from releasing any kind of playable build.

I'm giving myself a generous 2.5 years to complete this project. I don't think it will take that long but you never know with these ambitious one-man projects. I plan to release a demo of the first chapter within the next 6 months. During development I plan to get extremely detailed on how I'm developing this game including the tools and techniques that I use. I'm hoping that it will serve as some kind of teaching to anyone else insane enough to attempt a project like this.

Lastly I'm leaving all my previous posts in this thread exactly how they are (for nostalgia and incase anyone is interested in the journey so far) this post will be the only one I edit. I will provide a link to where the new build progress begins It's here http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9994.msg1028191#msg1028191.
*End UPDATE*

Kali 9 is the story of a woman who through certain events gains the limited ability to alter her own destiny. As she changes her fate she'll have to deal with many "unintended consequences" and difficult moral choices. All while keeping her sanity.

Latest Gif - 06/12/14

Screens from 0.8.0 Alpha (Work In Progress)

Screens from 0.6.0 Alpha

Screens from 0.5.0 Alpha

Version Notes
===================================
[Version 0.8.0 Alpha] - Rebuild Version

Fixes
- While redoing movement code I inadvertently solved the long time problem of getting stuck in walls and objects, movement along walls and barriers is now smooth!!!!

Additions & Changes
- Initial Rebuild In Progress
- Cutscene Engine
- Graphics Overhauled
- Increased Resolution to 1024 x 768 instead of 800 x 600
- Some character names have been changed (ex: Reilynn to Raelynn etc.)
- Increased FPS from 24 to 30
- Removed use of Outline filter. I'm outlining everything by hand which will remove the "blurry look" of the previous version and I can use gpu rendering for increased performance.

Still Working On
- Translating maps and assets from 0.7.0 to 0.8.0

[Version 0.7.0 Alpha] - Unreleased

Fixes
- none

Additions & Changes
- This version was to showcase various graphical changes and detail additions

Still Working On
- Tweaking battle engine
- Problems with getting stuck in objects.
- I'm still working on the world map display system. I need some more time to get this working.
- I had to lock out the inventory keyboard controls. I found a bug that slows the game down to a crawl while using them. Once I figure out the problem I'll bring them back.
- An algorithm that will "Guide" the player around borders and hopefully make areas easier to move around.
- some of the map tranfers may put players in borders which may make it difficult to move. I am aware of this and working on it.

[Version 0.6.0 Alpha] - First Public Release

Fixes
- Various minor game tweaks

Additions & Changes
- Changed the main game theme music to a song called "Light Blue".
- Added battle music, the song is called "Photokinesis".
- Added more details to some map.
- Created sprites for a few of Reilynn's battle animations.
- Created sprites for monster - "Green Gelat" battle animations.
- Added battle engine with support for: attacking enemies, damage calculation, defeating enemies, moving, victory and calculating spoils.
- Added the animation for Reilynn's first attack "Vertical Slash" under her status/techniques.
- I've locked out the saving and continuing. That feature was only for testing in the previous version. I'll bring it back in a future version.

Still Working On
- Adding more details to the maps.
- Tweaking battle engine
- I'm still working on the world map display system. I need some more time to get this working.
- I had to lock out the inventory keyboard controls. I found a bug that slows the game down to a crawl while using them. Once I figure out the problem I'll bring them back.
- An algorithm that will "Guide" the player around borders and hopefully make areas easier to move around.
- some of the map tranfers may put players in borders which may make it difficult to move. I am aware of this and working on it.

[Version 0.5.0 Alpha] - Unreleased

Fixes
- Fixed the the glitchy action button problem
- Various minor game tweaks

Additions
- Added NPCs to maps to test the conversation engine (Some NPCs have dummy text attached to them)
- Added Saving and Loading but the feature has not been tested extensively yet.
- Added More maps to the game world, however I still had to lock some areas away because they're just not ready yet.
- Added Music
- Added Stores
- Added Action Bubbles
- Changed Reilynn's Status Screen Graphic.
- Changed Game Startup Artwork.
- Added item interaction and equipping.

Still Working On

- Adding more details to the map.
- The battle engine
- Problem with the in game map. I have to come up with a new strategy.

[Version 0.3.0 Alpha] - Unreleased

Fixes
- Fixed problem with screen flashing & locking up between map transfers.
- Fixed problem with animation sometimes locking up.
- Fixed layering problem with some objects.
- Fixed problem with walking in front and behind larger objects (credit sophie for help on this problem).
- Fixed some doorway catches.
- Moved catch for bottom of stairs.
- Altered some maps to make moving easier.
- Changed Alpha filter for "Status Bar" making some map details more apparent.

Additions
- Added some more details to the Status Bar.
- Added technique equipping and details to Status >> Technique.
- Save Points now called "Memory Mithra" instead of "Save Mithra".

Still Working On
- The interact button is still acting wacky I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:12:38 AM by mixzed » Logged

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
MaloEspada
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »

From a quick look on the images, I have this little feedback:

The HUD attracts too much attention and is too big. It may be a problem to some players because it somewhats limit the visibility / distracts a lot.

For more info on what I mean:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/subtractive-design.html
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »

From a quick look on the images, I have this little feedback:

The HUD attracts too much attention and is too big. It may be a problem to some players because it somewhats limit the visibility / distracts a lot.

For more info on what I mean:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/subtractive-design.html

thanks for your feedback, I can definitely make the hud smaller. Can I ask what scenario would you prefer?

a) smaller hud visible all the time
b) hud visible only during combat
c) hud only visible when top of the screen is mouse-over'd
d) a combination of any of the above

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
MaloEspada
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »

a), I think.
It's good to keep track of status all the time.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »

A) Most definitely, can't stand not being able to just look up and see what's going on.

I am loving the graphical style, but as to the hud, it isn't only too big, but seems to clash with everything else... Just a little input before you just make it smaller Tongue

Looking great though, prolly will give it a playthrough here directly.

EDIT: Played it, seems pretty solid so far. Only a couple small critiques.

1) I don't know about everyone else, but I am a fast reader, and when i can't speed up the text or just hit a button to get to the end of the scrolling I tend to get really frustrated. Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's definitely a pet peeve of mine Tongue

2) Already know your working on the sounds and the collision detection, just wanted to reiterate what I said earlier about the hud. Whilst actually playing the game it is not EXTREMELY noticeable unless your inside a building, particularly the Kasho (spelling?) restaurant. The splashes of paint behind all of the pieces of the hud look like part of the painting on the wall and then its just that I wish I could see the rest of the actual wall painting.

3) The graphics are far too pretty... the excellence in design and art direction has left me speechless Epileptic.... needs more ugly! Tongue (just a joke btw... figured just in case lol Durr...?)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:35:11 PM by Dozer » Logged
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »

I guess a smaller hud all the time takes the cake and I agree.

A) Most definitely, can't stand not being able to just look up and see what's going on.

I am loving the graphical style, but as to the hud, it isn't only too big, but seems to clash with everything else... Just a little input before you just make it smaller Tongue

Looking great though, prolly will give it a playthrough here directly.

EDIT: Played it, seems pretty solid so far. Only a couple small critiques.

1) I don't know about everyone else, but I am a fast reader, and when i can't speed up the text or just hit a button to get to the end of the scrolling I tend to get really frustrated. Maybe not that big of a deal, but it's definitely a pet peeve of mine Tongue

2) Already know your working on the sounds and the collision detection, just wanted to reiterate what I said earlier about the hud. Whilst actually playing the game it is not EXTREMELY noticeable unless your inside a building, particularly the Kasho (spelling?) restaurant. The splashes of paint behind all of the pieces of the hud look like part of the painting on the wall and then its just that I wish I could see the rest of the actual wall painting.

3) The graphics are far too pretty... the excellence in design and art direction has left me speechless Epileptic.... needs more ugly! Tongue (just a joke btw... figured just in case lol Durr...?)

Thanks for your input I agree with the text, I don't know how I didn't notice that before as I'm also a fast reader and I get bored with text that scrolls too slow, I'll add an in-game option to display all the text at once.

The hud is meant to clash a little bit but it will be made smaller. I'm glad you enjoy the graphics, it means alot to me and I'm still not done adding all the details.

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »

quick update, got a new site address for the development blog www.kali9.com

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:18 AM »

the blog format for the site just wasn't working out so I took some time out to redesign the whole thing. www.kali9.com

Also added some music for the game that's in the early stages. it's in the sounds section.

oh well back to work.

more screen shots are next

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »

Long time between updates usually because I tend to hibernate away from the internet while I work.

Here Goes

- New screenshots (first post)

- Total Maps I've done for this game so far - around 95 or 96, I estimate I'm about 35% complete.

- youtube videos of behind the scenes in recording the music for this game

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

- I like to draw monsters so here are some I was brain storming

Bosses

Regular baddies

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »

Love the sketches. really nice.

My only complaint so far is the perspective, it really throws my eyes and brain for a loop; The ground does not seem to match the characters.
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »

Love the sketches. really nice.

My only complaint so far is the perspective, it really throws my eyes and brain for a loop; The ground does not seem to match the characters.

I'm not going to even try and defend my perspective I'll admit that shadowing & perspective are my weakest areas. I am inspired by the earlier zelda games that use an amalgam of perspectives. I will see what I can do to add more texture detail to the ground.

thanks for that input

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »

I know it's been a while but I do my best work away from the internet.

development shots - a glimpse of the flash hell joy I put myself through.

I decided to finish all the maps first before I move on to combat. I'm probably 70% done with all the maps I want to do for the first episode but damn it's time consuming.

*not the final look for these areas by the way just a look at the process*

layout of the torwa caves dungeon

cave entrance

guts

cerberus

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
BitShift
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »

His timeline and property inspector are so extreme, he had to censor them.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »

Hi Mixzed.

I'm taking a look at the stuff you're working on, mostly interested because I'm working on a project with a fairly similar presentation of exploration. Maybe we could exchange ideas and solutions?

I see some spotty areas in your hit detection, I wouldn't mind helping with that. I've also been plugging away at a dialogue engine and an extensible menu system.

I'm about 4 months in on Son, Stranger and since I don't have oodles of time it's very much a work in progress. Take a look, I think we could learn a lot from each other.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:56:24 PM »

Hi Mixzed.

I'm taking a look at the stuff you're working on, mostly interested because I'm working on a project with a fairly similar presentation of exploration. Maybe we could exchange ideas and solutions?

I see some spotty areas in your hit detection, I wouldn't mind helping with that. I've also been plugging away at a dialogue engine and an extensible menu system.

I'm about 4 months in on Son, Stranger and since I don't have oodles of time it's very much a work in progress. Take a look, I think we could learn a lot from each other.

Thanks, sorry it took so long to get back to you - I will take a look at your project. I have no problems with sharing Ideas and experiences working with a project like this. I think my hit detection can be vastly improved and I'm sure I'm doing it the ass backwards way. It worked (kind of) at the time so I kept it. I'm using AS2

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »

I have some more free time on my hands so I put some real hours into this game. I haven't done that in a long time.

finished the layout of a new dungeon this week. sans details but I'll add those in later.
this gives me an additional 12 maps laid out for a total of around 140 maps. I have one more dungeon to lay out before I'm finished with all the maps I'll need for the next demo.

re drew some of the items in the game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:09:39 AM by mixzed » Logged

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »

Wow, you're really going crazy with those art assets, aren't you? Cool.

So I guess I'll ask you to  post your collision code snippet, but I'm guessing you're waiting for the collision to occur before you make the check, then preventing motion in that direction. What you probably ought to do is to forecast the position of your character by keeping track of his last position and sending him back a frame once he's hit something. But that's just a guess, and there are a few ways to solve the issue.

You probably also can't get away with single key-press motion nowadays. (I can post some keyhandler code if you'd like, I've just got to check some AS2 references)

Another thing you might look at is the way you've set up your isometric levels. The geometry seems to exclusively be:

\\\\\\\
 ------             Flat horizontal motion
  \\\\\\\\          with a tilted vertical axis
   -------
    \\\\\\\\

Where your character movement is pure xy up down. It makes it tough to follow the contours of walls, so what you can do is have

Code:
on up key condition{
ymotion -= constant
xmotion -= .25 * constant
}
on downkey condition{
ymotion += constant
xmotion += .25 * constant
}

Where you're tweaking constant as appropriate.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 02:07:46 PM »

Wow, you're really going crazy with those art assets, aren't you? Cool.

So I guess I'll ask you to  post your collision code snippet, but I'm guessing you're waiting for the collision to occur before you make the check, then preventing motion in that direction. What you probably ought to do is to forecast the position of your character by keeping track of his last position and sending him back a frame once he's hit something. But that's just a guess, and there are a few ways to solve the issue.

You probably also can't get away with single key-press motion nowadays. (I can post some keyhandler code if you'd like, I've just got to check some AS2 references)

Another thing you might look at is the way you've set up your isometric levels. The geometry seems to exclusively be:

\\\\\\\
 ------             Flat horizontal motion
  \\\\\\\\          with a tilted vertical axis
   -------
    \\\\\\\\

Where your character movement is pure xy up down. It makes it tough to follow the contours of walls, so what you can do is have

Code:
on up key condition{
ymotion -= constant
xmotion -= .25 * constant
}
on downkey condition{
ymotion += constant
xmotion += .25 * constant
}

Where you're tweaking constant as appropriate.

Thanks

This is a basic rundown of how the collision works - for each map I layout rectangle array of movie clips over areas where I don't want the player to go then and check for collision between them. This method itself would work fine but as you can see the maps and objects on them aren't perfectly square so in those instances (diagonals and curves) I make tiny squares and line them along the non-square edges to define a pseudo-barrier on those objects. It works but it's not as polished as I want it to be.

also if you noticed you can rapidly tap the up & left (or down & left, up & right etc..) and make it past any barriers and effectively walk off the screen. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of collision issues and animation issues with the sprites being slightly different sizes.

The isometric areas aren't meant to be isometric in the movement sense. Originally it was meant to be an abstract way to view the spatial limitations of a single room as opposed to the world map (i'm not sure I'm explaining this right). I never intended for isometric movement in those rooms but now you've got me thinking and I'll see how it feels to add in isometric movement.

You also might be on to something with the forecasting of collision - that might stop the collision issues I've been having.

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 03:02:10 PM »

I'm actually handling mine REALLY sketchily right now.

I've got a one color bitmap (alpha 1, alpha zero) which I use as a hitmap. My game character has a hit circle under his feet which checks against the hit map to see if there are any alpha pixels in the radius. Then I use a fairly simple statistics function to weight the position, direction, and depth of the hit to produce one force vector to push you back out.

Until I implement a 'bump' animation for ricocheting off of game objects, it looks terrible. Heh. Always more work to do!

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
mixzed
Level 1

EX Slacker+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:01 AM »

finished laying out another dungeon. This area will actually be one big puzzle that the player will have to solve to progress. It won't be too complicated if you pay attention.

back to work

Kali 9RubedoSYNCCOINS!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic